September 22nd, 2007

Guns and the 2008 presidential race

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Several contenders in the 2008 presidential race where in Washington, D.C. Friday to speak at a National Rifle Associaton conference.  CNN's Bill Schneider reports on what the White House hopefuls did to win the votes of the gun rights group.

Watch Bill Schneider's report about courting the NRA vote.

Related: When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Related: Protesters interrupt McCain at NRA event

Filed under: Fred Thompson • John McCain • NRA • Presidential Candidates • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Greg, Sna Francisco

The consttiution says we cn ban guns. Why dont we ban guns?

September 21, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. Alex, San Francisco California

We banned alchohol once. Much good it did us, it gave a rise to organized crime. Criminals will have access to weapons no matter what you do. That's just the way of it. Most of the weapons they do get they purchase illegaly as it is. Not that I am a guns support guy. But guns definitely need to be regulated and licensed. Psych profiles for legal gun ownership are a definite must.

September 21, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  3. 2nd Amendment

Where is it in the Constitution said is can?

September 22, 2007 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  4. James, Silver Spring MD

Um, surely you are joking? The Constitution clearly prohibits any restrictions on arms. And before anyone starts, no serious definition of "arms" includes anything as indiscriminate as a thermonuclear warhead, but yes, a fully automatic weapon is quite discriminate unless the operator has no training and even less motor skills.
    And no, 'militia' does not equal National Guard, as the NG didn't even exist at the time of the Constitution's writing, and yes, the recent circuit court hearing of the DC gun ban ruled that the "militia" is defined as all able-bodied males whether or not they chose to exercise their rights or associate with an "organized militia", just as the word 'electorate' defines citizens over the age of suffrage, whether or not they choose to vote.
    And yes, the 1st amendment DOES protect your right to shout "fire" in a crowded theater, right up to the point where you abuse it. It doesn't pre-emptively ban you from saying it, or force you to have a localized lobotomy that prevents you from saying that word, so don't try to apply that argument to the 2nd amendment by extension. The 2nd amendment does not allow you to randomly shoot people. But it does protect your right to own arms (swords, knives, firearms) up until the point where you abuse them. In both cases, it's up to a jury to decide if it was use or abuse.

September 22, 2007 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  5. William, Bradenton, Fl

The constitution does not say we can ban guns. In fact, theres this minute and unimportant document called the BILL OF RIGHTS, and the second article under this document says we CAN NOT ban weapons from the common man. Literacy is a wonderful thing, maybe once you have some, you'll understand what the constitution actually says. THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

September 22, 2007 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  6. Quentin, MD

Is this all the journalistic ability this person has, or is this the most coverage republican canidates are going to get. I bet if I were to click on "protesters interrupt McCain at NRA event", it would be a three page scroll. If I were a liberal I would probably also fear him. If McCain isnt a threat to CNN, or your supporters, then lets show a little more coverage.

September 22, 2007 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  7. Tired right-sider, U.S.

The constitution do not say we cn Ban guns. But consituton does say we cn ban abortun. Greg, if your the brightest light the lefties have shinning tonight Ill go out of my way a little and inform you that d contitooton axtualle protects our rit to own wepons

September 22, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  8. GW, Freehold, NJ

NO WHERE in the Constitution does it say "we can ban guns." Your ignorance of the history and legislative intent of the Second Amendment is striking! What part of "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

By the way, the FIRST clause "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" refers to THE PEOPLE - as in INDIVIDUAL CITIZENS. The citizens WERE and STILL ARE the militia.

September 22, 2007 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  9. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

The constitution says we have the right to bear arms! by the way ....if guns are made criminal, only criminals will have guns...

September 22, 2007 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  10. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Hey Greg – in addition to not reading the Constitution, you can't even spell it!

September 22, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  11. Jim M. Minnesota

Because of people like yourself. It gives us gun owners the opportunity to defend ourselves against enemies, foriegn or DOMESTIC... People with your view point on guns are the same reason are streets are so dangerous. Our gov't continues to parole criminals that should have been buried. I know this is a strong view point on my part, but I am sick of hearing on the news about people being hurt or killed by idiots who have already been paroled for a previous crime. Call me ignorant if you want, but this is how I see it where I live.

September 22, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  12. Jairon, Kent OH

Ron Paul: A+ rating from the GOA.

September 22, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Mark, B'ham Alabama

All Americans are the militia because if we are invaded who do you think will fight? My sons and I will, but I do not count on liberals, a very few whom I meet wearing the uniform in my 20 years on active duty. Also I want my gun to protect what I have and my family from those kids who were spoiled with parents who spared the rodeven when thye were criminally bad, or did not care to try to raise ther children with morallity as well as street savey. In 1990 a friend of mine's wife luckily new how to use their 357 when a rapist broke in their apartment while we were deployed. My wife has a 12 guage!

September 22, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Bob, San Francisco, CA

The 2nd Amendment is more about maintaining militias, but that being said, we're going to have problems either way.
    If we ban guns, then only criminals will have them (there's millions of 'em on the streets of America).

Even if we don't ban them for safety and protection, there's still millions of 'em on the streets. We've dug our own graves with gun fanaticism.

A very good friend of mine was blown in half a few years ago by some gangster wanna-be with a shotgun. Maybe he would be alive today if those bastards didn't have such easy access to guns.

Self defense? I bet NRA supporters would want a OK Corral-style shoot out on the streets instead. I'd rather just not have any guns, but like I mentioned above, it's too late.

September 22, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Hilary, Western NY

Where are all the members of the "I Shot Myself In the Crotch Defending My Home and Family" club? I know you guys are out there–what's your position on gun rights?

September 23, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |