September 22nd, 2007

NRA on Giuliani, Richardson, '08 W.H. race

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The National Rifle Association hosted a conference in Washington, D.C. Friday.  The event drew some of the 2008 presidential contenders who were there seeking the support of the gun rights group.  Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's Executive Vice President, joined Carol Costello in CNN's Situation Room after the conference.  Watch LaPierre's take on Rudy Giuliani, Bill Richardson, and what role the NRA may play in the 2008 presidential race.

Watch Carol Costello's interview of the NRA's Wayne LaPierre.

Related: Protesters interrupt McCain at NRA event

Related: When Judith calls, Rudy answers

Filed under: Bill Richardson • NRA • Rudy Giuliani • The Situation Room
  1. Rose Hann New London,CT

Rudy asked the NRA for support and took a cell phone call. How classy! He can't get his own kids to support him. The NRA should stop and pay close attention. Giuliani is not presidential material. Hell, he's not even mayoral material. Save your support for the obvious next President. Hillary Rohdam Clinton.

September 21, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  2. Billy, Ft. Worth, TX

Wouldn't it be ironic if every single member of the NRA were shot!

September 22, 2007 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  3. Joan

they better pay attention....his background is to shady...I aggree Hillary is our next president

September 22, 2007 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  4. John Foster, Varnville, South Carolina

Ron Paul is the only Republican who firmly supports the second amendment. He also happens to be the only Republican with a chance of beating Clinton in the general election.

September 22, 2007 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  5. Sam, IA

I have been an avid hunter since i was a child. Any communications from the NRA go directly into the garbage where they belong. Gun rights my butt. Rightwing politics period. Convincing Joe sixpack to vote against his best interests to save his rifle. Lemmings marching to the sea.

September 22, 2007 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  6. Anonymous

Blackwater=Watergate

September 22, 2007 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  7. Rose New London, CT

Dave,
    I have been married to the same man for thirtyeight years. My sister went through a year of batteling breast cancer. She is divorced and her children love both parents equally. I have another sister divorced as well and we do all we can to make the kids feel there is o need to take sides.
    Giuliani had a rag sheet affair and kicked his wife and kids out of the Mayor's mansion so he and his third wife could move in. See the differeence Dave? I thought Giuliani was neglegent in 1993 when the WTC was bombed and he ignored the reccomondations to improve communication between FDNY and NYPD. He put the command center, where? Yes, the WTC without implementing communication reccomdations. I don't think Rudy is a person I want to put the safety of my family to. He doesn't really inspire his own base.

September 22, 2007 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. nan jacksonville fl

Why is it that no one ever questions moveon.org. They donate more money to Democratic fundraisers, than the NRA doonates to Republican fundraisers?

September 22, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. Bob, San Francisco, CA

A general comment about the Ticker:

I get a real kick out of people who whine about being censored (almost always right-wing nuts). I usually see your crying and moaning after I've already read your previous few comments which you think have been censored.

COMMENTS TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE THEY GET POSTED.

SOMETIMES YOU GET "CENSORED" BECAUSE YOU'VE ALREADY POSTED A BUNCH OF TIMES.

STOP BEING TICKER HOGS! This goes out to people like trekks, who bragged recently about using multiple names.
    GET A LIFE!

Oh, and about this NRA pandering from politicians...is it any surprise?

September 22, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. LRS

RIGHT ON DAVE MOORE....I love it when these left wing "Tree huggers " get on and slam the RIGHT WING nutts without doing there home work. Name one thing other than Hillarys failed Heath care package that she has done?....I dont claim to be a true Rudy fan but I know that she is no Bill Clinton. BTW Bill Clintons administration brought quite a bite of shame to the American public and I cant remember anything significant that Bill did while in office either. Dont say the economy either...He capitalized on what George Bush senior started. Bill also got outta office just before the economy started to slide too. Read idiots , read. Stop the bipartisan BS and dont vote for Hillary...GEEZ, DO YOU PEOPLE REALLY THINK SHE WELL BE ABLE TO GET ANYTHING DONE WHILE IN OFFICE???? More failed Health care packages...BTW Hillary used to work on the Goldwater campaign committee..{REP}...LOL...She doesnt no which way she is going.

September 22, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. Chris, Middletown, CT

We need to call Mr Giuliani another name – I plan to call him Mr President – liberals – you need to understand – it will be Hillary against Rudy – a left wing candidate vs a moderate – look at the makeup of the country – 80% moderate – Rudy is the people candidate – and Hillary is the socialists (fortunately....there are far fewer of those in this country)

September 22, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. AndyC

I hope the NRA considers more than just the 2A in determining who to endorse. The right of habeas corpus and the rest of the constitution are pretty important! I read alot of history so I see some very disturbing trends in where the Republicans are taking this country. I think calling them fascists is fair at this point. As a result I plan to vote Dem. But, I know the Dems have a scary side as well and I know that guns are the last stand of a free people, so just before I go to the polls I will get an assault rifle and a hunting rifle, with ammo, and stash them. Thus I can vote the lesser of two evils and still be ready for the unthinkable (which thanks to Bush and the “war on terror” is now conceivable).
    P.S. Killing animals is not “sport”. It is brutality that should be banned.

September 22, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Paul Conley, Palmetto Bay, FL

to LRS - proofread your post before you hit the send. You read like an illiterate grade school drop out. For one thing learn what bipartisan means.

You need trees. Or else where would you nail your target.

A person with a double digit IQ knows that the gun issue is about money. The sale of guns is worth billions. Hunting with a .357 magnum or AK47? Pleaseee..
    We are the only 1st world country that does not control guns. We have more gunshot deaths than all the other 1st world countries combined. Why? Money, money, money and more money.

September 22, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. Andrew, NJ

Giulliani is a joke...only someone like him would tell an issue specific group like the NRA...to completely ignore that issue in choosing their candidate.

And how classy taking a call while speaking to people.

September 22, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. rhoda ozen yardley, pa

Despise the NRA, do not particularly care for Giuliani, watching the imbecile answer a phonecall on his cell during a speech for the NRA, PRICELESS!!!!

September 23, 2007 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  16. TOM, CA, USA

TO DAVE US ARMY:

YOU SPOUT THE SAME OLD ADMINISTRATION SPUNK! IT GETS OLD MAN! GET A LIFE!

September 23, 2007 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  17. Dave Moore, US Army, South Korea

Since my apparent “ADMINISTRATION” rhetoric is aged? Then maybe you wish to educate me on your ideal President. Because from what I understand is that we hate Presidents that are for protecting the American family, unborn children and anything that exhibits moral fiber. We however love and endorse an individual that not only stands for but also would waste our resources on advocating anything that may seem to go against what America had once represented and stood for. So please I wish to not take the podium, as I am interested to hear about what his/hers characteristics and attributes look like to you?

September 23, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. TOM, CA, USA

TO DAVE US ARMY:

HEY LOOK, I KNOW YOUR IN THE ARMY WHICH MEANS YOU ARE SUBJECT TO THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY ANYTHING AGAINST THE ARMY OR THE ADMINISTRATION OR THE PRESIDENT EVEN IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM. THE MILITARY IS A DICTATORSHIP WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE, AND ARMY DAVE IS NO DIFFERENT. YOU ARE A PAWN, YOU ARE A TOOL, WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK ANYTHING ELSE. IT'S VERY SIMPLE DAVE, YOU HAVE TO SPOUT THE ADMINISTRATION'S RHETORIC, OR YOU WILL END UP GETTING IN TROUBLE IF YOU SPEAK OUT AGAINST IT. SO, KEEP IT UP DAVE, MAYBE THEY'LL GIVE YOU A BRONZE STAR FOR ENGAGING CIVILIANS IN A CNN DEBATE BLOG. YOUR NEGATISM AGAINST THE CLINTON'S IS OLD HAT, WE'VE ALL HEARD IT BEFORE, AND IT'S HISTORY. BUT HEY, YOU GOTTA MAKE BROWNIE POINTS WITH YOUR SUPERIOR'S, SO KEEP THOSE 'BUGLES BLOWIN!'

September 24, 2007 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  19. TOM, CA, USA

TO DAVE US ARMY:

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I DID REPLY TO YOUR POST BUT MINE WAS DELETED. SO MUCH FOR CENSORSHIP.

September 24, 2007 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  20. Dave Moore, US Army, South Korea

First off Tom! My ears hurt from your caps, and judging by your ever so professional response. I can only assume that your pride is hurt too. It is amusing to watch how neo-liberals twist and distort an individual’s character for their own personal gain. I beg to wonder what you have gained by your personal attack upon myself… You take shots at me in an effort to quiet my dialog. When really nothing here is personal it is all politics. It shows your level of intelligence and maturity and your ability/inability to debate issues.

It is professions like mine that has enabled individuals like you the opportunity to take off heads with your freedom of speech, be able to disrespect the men and women, uniforms and sacrifices that we bear. So that people like you may be able to call us all ”TOOLS!” I have no problems with that, as I would expect no difference from the same hippies/hippies children that spat on us during Vietnam to be finding them/ and theirs still using the same antics today…

You however are misinformed… I disagree with some aspects of the war and our foreign policy path. I made a commitment to this country to serve and defend the constitution of the United States of America. I may not agree with some of the ideas that our current administration chooses, but that is what makes us a democracy and a democracy is where we will stand.

Finally Tom, I agree that it is time for a “regime” change, thus, bring us back to who is better suited for the position as to not get detoured from the original conversations with your side bar rhetoric that merely only distorts the original conversation, which, yet again is another NeoLib tool of communication: Again Tom what are the characteristics/attributes that you desire to see in a President?

September 26, 2007 02:05 am at 2:05 am |