September 26th, 2007

Gravel to Clinton: I’m ashamed of you

Mike Gravel had some harsh words for Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel scolded fellow Democratic White House hopeful Hillary Clinton during Wednesday’s Democratic presidential debate for supporting a Senate resolution that acknowledged the potential danger Iran poses.

“I am ashamed of you, Hillary, for voting for it,” said Gravel.

When given the opportunity to respond, Clinton began by saying, “I don’t know where to start.”

Gravel also reprimanded Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, for not voting at all.

– CNN Ticker Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Mike Gravel
  1. Frank, Dayton, Ohio

I hope Gravel gets out of the race. He's a loose cannon and his temper is going to lose the White House for whomever the Democrats ultimately nominate.

September 26, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  2. Matthew Kansas City, Missouri

Typical!

September 26, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Ryan A., Gardner, Mass.

I'm a Ron Paul guy, but GO GRAVEL! Whatever it takes to let the top tier know we don't buy the party's lines that they feed us via CNN and FOX.

Russia in the cold war had thousands of nukes, Iran has Zero!

September 26, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. La Chatte, Portland, OR

Gee, Mike. It really doesn't matter if you're ashamed of Hillary or not. She's left you so far in the dust that I'm surprised you can still speak.

I don't suppose you've considered that ripping other Dems instead of W and Darth is counterproductive and a bad use of your time? Fortunately, Hillary has chosen to deal with issues instead of playing in the mud.

Too bad! There was a time when I gave you some serious consideration– based on the issues; however, I don't have time to listen to pointless rot.

September 26, 2007 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Are you as sick as I am of this woman's newly adopted cackling laughter?

September 26, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. Tomas Today, Austin, Texas

Iran had nothing to do with 9/11. Neither did IRAQ. Iran is a nation of Shiite Muslim's. Saudi Arabia is Sunni. Sunni-Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11. Get a clue and dismiss the propaganda that is nothing but lies by the Bush/Clinton dynasty. We need a real leader who can deal with what the real foreign policy issue's and AMERICAN ISSUES ARE!!! Unfortunately it is not Hillary or anyone sounding the same sad song as George Worthless Bush. Get Hillary and we've got more of the same. WAKE UP AMERICA!!! We need REAL CHANGE!!!

September 26, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Beto, Seattle WA

Ms Clinton's response to Sen. Gravel sounds just like the response her husband had when the terrorists attacked the Twin Towers during his watch.

September 26, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  8. Brianna, McEwen, TN

Reprimanding Barack Obama I understand but not Hillary. When my brother a United States Sailor needed help Senator Obama refused even though he had been abused in Obama's home state. Hillary Clinton on the other hand moved heaven and earth to help my brother get the help he needed as she would do for your family as well. I pray that those voting for Obama will never have a problem arise in their life, when we did he was no where to be found. To busy to support the troops.

September 26, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  9. RM, Austin, TX

Excellent attack by Gravel!!! Hillary is not a candidate for peace. She's as bad on foreign policy as Giuliani. She's a friend of the Israeli lobby, and like most other candidates, she'll bend over backwards for Israel at the expense of the US. Her policy of economic sanctions on Iran and Syria, and threats of war with Iran are harmful to us all.

September 26, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  10. Larry, West Covina, CA

He ought to be ashamed of himself. I think he would fall under the category of Donald Trump's "Losers."

September 26, 2007 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  11. Anonymous

A rumor exists which entails and accounts for the stain on Monica’s blue dress, as due to interference in a distance contest the president was having with a foreign ambassador and this contest was accepted for reasons of polite foreign relations.

September 27, 2007 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  12. Dennis Castanares, Los Angeles, CA

NICE job of reporting the soundbite quotations without a word as to why Gravel said it, or what Hillary Clinton said AFTER she began. Focus on the flashy stuff and by all means ignore the substance. Congratulations on perpetuating the increasing trend to report presidential campaigns as horseraces without fulfilling your journalistic obligation to report what's relevant and needful for the public to know.

September 27, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  13. David, Hilo, HI

Not all of us Democrats are dazzled by or enamored with Hillary... or even Obama for that matter. Thank you Mike Gravel for dressing-down Hillary on her typical double-standard when it comes to war in the Middle East… even if you don’t stand a snowball’s chance in Baghdad of winning the presidency.

September 27, 2007 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  14. Lee, Estherville, IA

Consider the source....Gravel is even more of an idiot than Giuliani...both parties have candidates that suck.

September 27, 2007 05:03 am at 5:03 am |
  15. Dapo Macaulay, Lagos, Nigeria

Hilary Clinton's acknowlegement that iran poses a clear and present danger to the USA is dissapointing. Her position on that subject was a tactical political move and not in the best interest of the her nation and the global village at large. I entreat her to be a little bit more honest with herself. After all it is the best policy. As for Obama, I would like him to know that his indicision will win him no votes.

September 27, 2007 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  16. Sharon, Littleton, Colorado

Mike Gravel appears to be an over-the-top, angry, raving lunatic and he's certainly an asterik in the polls. It is a rare instance when debate moderators ask him a direct question or allow him to contribute to the discussion (when most other candidates have been given an opportunity to weigh in) Why do they continue to include him the debates? Comic relief?

September 27, 2007 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  17. laurinda,ny

You,ve got my vote Hillary. It's time to turn this country around and remove the dim witted Republican from power.

September 27, 2007 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  18. no_man_is_an_island, Pittsburgh, PA

Way to go, Gravel. You were right to scold her. We're sick of posturing, self-righteous political leaders who are willing to turn the heat up a notch by their grandstanding, and thus make the world a more dangerous place.

September 27, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  19. Rob New York City

That vote from Hillary has upset me tremendously.

I can understand the Jewish vote and I can understand she is positioning herself in the center. But helping create a base for Bush to get into a rumble with Iran, is a bit too much.
    She said Bush fooled her in Iraq. What is her answer now?

I am LIVID with that vote.

September 27, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. Meks

Please when you write a story always be truthful. Mrs Clinton's response was not what you stated. That was her opening sentence in her 50 seconds response. Why don't you write her response. This is all about painting a candidate in bad light and is not good for democracy. I only hope people that watched the Debate will be honest enough to say the truth here.

September 27, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  21. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

I am somewhat at a loss here.

I can't agree or disagree with Sen. Mike Gravel's scolding of Hillary Clinton, as I am not privy to exactly what the "resolution that acknowledged the potential danger Iran poses, entailed."

I might suggest CNN could have enlightened readers with a copy of the same. I for one, would be interested in reading the resolution. And I didn't find a link to the resolution on this thread.

September 27, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. SB, Maryland

Hillary fell for it when Lieberman dished it out the first time. Now she's falling for it again. Bottom line– She hasn't learned a thing. She says "if I knew now what I didn't know then, I wouldn't have given GWB the authority". Guess what? You do know now what he will do with the authority and you are voting in a direction to give it to him again. America, if you want war in Iran, vote for Hillary. She hasn't learned a thing.

September 27, 2007 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. Chris, Middletown, CT

Meks
    After watching Hillary for a while – heres what I believe she might say – "Sen Gravel – I acknowledge that Iran was dangerous but going any further than that might upset my left wingers into believing I would do something about this "danger" – I will not take a stand on any issue – it worked for Bill and they elected him – it should work here too"

September 27, 2007 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. CorruptUsr

Gravel lives in that security free fantacy land too. Of course terrorist aren't going to hit Alaska now are they..

September 27, 2007 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. JB Hull, IA

Wow. I wondered how the Clinton News Network would spin this one. Hillary voted for a resolution which many democrats, including far more on that stage than Gravel (who of course is the only one mentioned because he's considered crazy- Biden and Dodd voted AGAINST this bill, and Edwards likewise took Clinton to task for her vote) believe is a stealth declaration of war on Iran. None of this made it into the article. This article is nothing less than an attempt to salvage some semblance of Hillary's dignity with a heavy layer of spin. She messed up yesterday, bad, but CNN won't report it. CNN makes me sick.

September 27, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |