September 26th, 2007

Obama asks supporters to step it up in New Hampshire

Obama campaigned in Peterborough, New Hampshire Wednesday.

PETERBOROUGH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama appealed for supporters to step up their efforts in New Hampshire Wednesday, one day after a CNN/WMUR poll of Granite State Democrats showed the Illinois senator trailing rival Hillary Clinton by 23 points.

"I'm hoping that you don’t just say 'Oh that was a nice speech, maybe I will vote for the guy,'" Obama told hundreds of Granite Staters assembled in a field in Peterborough. "I hope that you sign up. I hope that you decide to become a volunteer. I hope you decide to become a precinct captain. I hope that you decide to get engaged in our policy committees."

A poll released Tuesday conducted by the University of New Hampshire for CNN and WMUR showed Obama at 20 percentage points, 7 points less than where he was in July and 23 points behind New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

But Obama told CNN he isn't concerned with the latest poll numbers.

"I never worry about polls," he said as he greeted enthusiastic supporters.

– CNN's Mark Preston and Alexander Mooney

1. laurinda,ny

LINDA FROM BOSTON,MASS... you are absolutely right.

September 26, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. Chencho Huarachez, Mexico

Barak will make a fine president one day.

September 26, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  3. Brianna, McEwen, TN

Barack Obama asking others to step it up. That's funy. As I recall when a Sailor asked him to ste it up on his behalf after having been abused in boot camp Mr. Obama refused. But Hillary didn't and because of her we are able to get my brother the help he needs. Thank you Senator Clinton for cring about the troops as much as I do.

September 26, 2007 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

..daughter can be proud of ?

what ? raising taxes ? Cause that's the only thing Hillary has done.

name five things hillary has done that have not been to secure more money from taxpayeers for New York, because ANY Senator can do that.

September 27, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  5. diane l. machesney park, IL

Barack Obama is the best thing to happen to politics and this country in generations. He is that rare individual with a multitude of natural gifts and the ability to know the right thing to do.
    those who say he doesn't have experience are kidding themselves. At a time when the current administration has shredded our constitution, Obama was a constitutional law professor. He was also a state senator for 8 years and successfully worked on health care.
    He has what it takes to make one of our better presidents.
    hillary on the other hand, is corrupt and an opportunist who is getting by on her last name and not on any accomplishment. She is so 90s. And she is a disaster waiting to happen if she becomes president.
    this country needs someone like obama to be president and even with the washington press and pundit class trying to tear him down, he still has the largest grassroots support in history.

September 27, 2007 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. Tee, Apple Valley MN

Obama is going to win; just face it the polls don't mean anything.

September 27, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  7. RuthieM

The people will know the truth and the truth will set us free - from Bush administration. It's good Obama's asking New Hampshire to step it up for him. Obama will win the nomination, just u wait and see.

September 27, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. Chris, Middletown, CT

I have to commend all the Obama supporters – you are truly the most intelligent of the bunch. You are not buying the crap that HRC and John Edwards are tossing around – I am a Republican – and would consider voting for Obama – he's alittle far to the left for my liking...but...he is honest and forthright....and I respect the man....I hope he wins....because if the Republicans decide to choose anyone other than Giuliani...Obama would most likely get my vote.

September 27, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. TANYA HILL

I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. I AM A BLACK FEMALE. SO OF COURSE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A BLACK PERSON RUN THE COUNTRY...HOWEVER I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE A WOMAN RUN THE COUNTRY BECAUSE.....THIS RACE IS GOING TO BE A GOOD ONE. ESSENTIALLY IT IS GOING TO COME DOWN TO CLINTON AND OBAMA. HONESTLY THIS WORLD IS NOT AND I REPEAT 'NOT' READY FOR THAT FEMALE NOR THAT BLACK MAN TO RUN THE COUNTRY. HOWEVER, CLINTON WOULD PROBABLY DO A BETTER JOB AT RUNNING THE COUNTRY BECAUSE SHE HAS HER HUSBAND TO BACK HER UP. DO WE HONESTLY THINK THAT 'THE CODE OF HONOR' APPLIES TO THE TWO OF THEM. DO WE NOT THINK THAT HILLARY HAD NO CLUE OF WHAT THE NEXT MOVE BILL WOULD MAKE AT DECIDING THE FATE OF MANY AMERICANS...DO WE NOT THINK THAT THEY DO 'DISCUSS' THE OVAL OFFICE BUSINESS AT THE DINNER TABLE????? HELL SHE HAD TO HAVE PLENTY OF SAY SO IN WHAT BILL'S NEXT MOVE WOULD BE.

IT IS GOING TO BE A TIGHT ONE.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY THAT BUSH HAS RUN OUR COUNTRY....BUT IT IS NOT LIKE I CAN TELL HIM PERSONALLY HOW HE HAS RUN US TO THE GROUND AND BY THIS TIME 2 YEARS FROM NOW WE WILL ALL BE FACING 'THE GREAT DEPRESSION'.....NO ONE CAN TELL HIM TO STOP CHASING HIS FATHERS DREAMS AND PULL OUT OF IRAQ.....HIS DADDY COULN'T GET SADDAM SO HE JUST HAD TO PROVE A POINT.

THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT FOR SOMEONE ELSE COME IN AND TRY TO FIX THE CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN.....

LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE....IMAGINE THAT!!!!!! WE'RE NOT FREE.!!!!!

September 27, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |