September 26th, 2007

Richardson to Boy Scouts: Be Prepared . . . to find another Honorary Chairman

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said if elected president he would decline the position of Honorary Chairman of the Boy Scouts of America because of that organization’s policy barring participation by openly gay males, he said at a Democratic presidential debate Wednesday night.

When asked if he would accept the position, Richardson said, “No, I wouldn’t, because I think as president I would commit myself, number one, that I will be a leader that prevents discrimination on the basis of race, gender and sexual orientation.”

Last month, Richardson angered gay rights supporters by saying at a presidential forum that he believed being gay was a "choice," but he later clarified that he misspoke.

1. Simon

I recieved my Eagle Scout pretty recently. I couldn't be who I wanted to be in Boy Scouts for fear of being kicked out of the troop. I loved scouts and it shouldn't discriminate against it's members.

Posted By Anonymous : September 27, 2007 3:27 pm

I don't believe you.

September 27, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Jim, Redlands, CA

IMHO, the BSA would be happy to have Richardson decline the honor. He does not exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. We teach our Scouts to be WAY more tolerant of people with differing opinions than he and those of his ilk.

September 27, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. Ernest, Salem, VA

Man look at the "haters"! What about tolerance? One of the countries finest organizations and the tolerant ones are not so tolerant.

September 28, 2007 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  4. Raymond Nicholas, Chicago Illinois

Posted By Anonymous : September 27, 2007 3:27 pm

This is what gays and liberals resort to when commenting in forums and blogs everywhere, anonymous lies and more often attacks when they can't find a real person that supports their views they create one and slap anonymous on it.

Liar

September 28, 2007 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  5. Anonymous

Simon, why don't you believe me?

September 28, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  6. Jim Topeka, Kansas

As a former scout leader, let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with scouting at the troop level. Scout Troops throughout the nation build fine moral young men that are prepared to go forth and do good in the community. Why is this, is it because of the national program, no it is because of the volunteers and community support that the troops receive at the local level.

So as to Bill Richardson, all I can say, is RIGHT ON BILL.

September 28, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  7. James, New Jersey

Anyone who wants for his teen son's scoutmaster a man who copulates with other men's rectums and thinks such is OK, and tells your son that, and who has a potential sexual attraction to your son, and who takes your son out on overnight camppouts, is an incompetent and unloving parent.

Boy Scouts has every right in the world (and under God) to prohibit men who would lust after and seek to indoctrinate your children into believing sexual perversion is acceptable.

If Bill Richarson dudn't want to be honorary chairman of the scouts, too bad. Some honorable man will be.

And by the way, this is one reason Richardson will never be president to begin with.

James

September 28, 2007 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  8. Mike Orlando,FL

I wasn't telling a lie. I just didn't think it was necessary to provide my name. But, since you think I'm not telling the truth in this situation, I'll go ahead and put my name and location. I hope CNN doesn't delete another one of my posts.

September 28, 2007 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Jim Morgan, Keller, TX

Gee it sounds like a typical case of Scoutaphobia!!!! Another fine upstanding citizen that can't make up his mind on what he thinks. Great choice for President.

September 28, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  10. B.Snyder, Houston, TX

re: Ms. Punto's comments:

These are children; they are not the military. There is a difference. Conflating issues doesn't prove your bias.

October 18, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |