September 27th, 2007

Hollywood director backs Clinton

Reiner is lending his star-power to Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As a movie director, he put Michael Douglas in the White House in the 1995 hit movie, "The American President." But as a real life political activist, Hollywood mogul Rob Reiner has his sights set on making sure it’s Sen. Hillary Clinton who inhabits Washington’s top address come January 2009.

According to the Los Angeles Times and Variety, the noted director, producer and actor has decided to throw his star power behind the New York Democrat's White House bid and will throw a star-studded fundraiser for her in October.

"Every one of the Democratic candidates is strong, but Hillary is head and shoulders above the rest," he told the Times.

Reiner did not come to his decision lightly, Variety reports. He met with every other candidate running for the Democratic nomination except for former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel.

"Based on the experience I have had in politics, and I have been on the front lines in a lot of these fights, I came around to realizing that we do need the most experienced and most qualified person to run the country," he told Variety.

Clinton's campaign has not returned CNN's request for comment on the endorsement.

Reiner is one of Hollywood's most politically active figures. The man behind such classic films as "When Harry Met Sally" and "A Few Good Men" was an early supporter of Howard Dean's 2004 presidential bid. He also heavily campaigned for Sen. John Kerry that year when the Massachusetts Democrat won his party's nomination.

But Reiner told Variety his top choice for the White House would be former Vice President Al Gore.

"A long, long time ago, I thought he might get in, but he made it very clear he wasn't going to be a candidate, so I took him at his word and then went through the process of saying, 'Who is the most qualified?' The answer was Hillary," he said.

Clinton and rival Barack Obama have been locked in a battle for Hollywood supporters and their dollars since both candidates announced their presidential ambitions early this year.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Chip Celina OH

Jon of Chicago,

Add Gravel to your list of those with more experience. He was in the Seante for 12 years and had 3 years state legislature experience in Alaska prior to that.

So, I guess when we look at your list and append Gravel she has LESS experience in a political office than ANY of her competition.

Have a good weekend,

September 28, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. Chris, Middletown, CT

Does anyone truly think his "endorsement" was researched in the least? I think he and Gloria were looking for a weekend away in the Lincoln bedroom...I think thats what that buys him (liberals...I know he's not really married to Gloria...and thats just the TV show...you see, we understand that just because someone writes it down – doesn't make it true)

September 28, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  3. Matt, Marietta, GA

"Hey meathead, if you were merely picking this on the most experienced, Biden and Richardson BLOW HER AWAY.

She is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being in their league in regards to this capetbaggers experience.
    Posted By Tom – Dedham, Mass : September 27, 2007 1:40 pm "

Thank You Tom.
    Barack > Hillary.
    I don't get how anyone can support her. Put a new family in the White House, quit trying to put the same ones back in. Too many people hate Hillary, if she wins the nomination, Dems will lose!!!
    Please Vote Barack Obama for some REAL change.

September 28, 2007 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  4. Anonymous

HMMMM, I heard Rob Riener is to Shrillary what Monica was to Bill!!!

September 29, 2007 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  5. Amy, Nebraska

I really wish that the news venues covered ALL of the candidates equally. Somehow I passed over Mike Gravel. A couple of weeks ago I started reading about the more obscure candidates and researched him a little. I really like his stance on things. And more important I agree with a lot of his PAST decisions.

September 29, 2007 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. Amy, Nebraska

"Ok…I'll play the game that was played when Oprah endorsed Obama:

Rob Reiner is a racist because he only support Hillary because she's white.

Posted By Juanito, Washington, DC : September 27, 2007 11:29 pm"

Actually I think people were seemingly racist during THAT story because CNN misrepresented the whole story. They made it out to seem it was a "black"' party, but failed to mention the famous white people who support Obama that attended.

If you don't have all the facts, then of course you'll sound "ignorant."

September 29, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. Olson Johnson; Rock Ridge

If Mr. Reiner truly means that "we do need the most experienced and most qualified person to run the country..." then we might need to have two people be the president since Hillary is neither the most experienced nor the most qualified.

I'm not sure if it's Biden, Dodd or Gravel that has the most experience, but any of them have more experience than Hillary (as does Obama if you count his state senate time).

Barack Obama is the most qualified, as indicated by the thousands of people who endorsed him at the rally in New York.

September 30, 2007 01:34 am at 1:34 am |