September 27th, 2007

Hollywood director backs Clinton

Reiner is lending his star-power to Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As a movie director, he put Michael Douglas in the White House in the 1995 hit movie, "The American President." But as a real life political activist, Hollywood mogul Rob Reiner has his sights set on making sure it’s Sen. Hillary Clinton who inhabits Washington’s top address come January 2009.

According to the Los Angeles Times and Variety, the noted director, producer and actor has decided to throw his star power behind the New York Democrat's White House bid and will throw a star-studded fundraiser for her in October.

"Every one of the Democratic candidates is strong, but Hillary is head and shoulders above the rest," he told the Times.

Reiner did not come to his decision lightly, Variety reports. He met with every other candidate running for the Democratic nomination except for former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel.

"Based on the experience I have had in politics, and I have been on the front lines in a lot of these fights, I came around to realizing that we do need the most experienced and most qualified person to run the country," he told Variety.

Clinton's campaign has not returned CNN's request for comment on the endorsement.

Reiner is one of Hollywood's most politically active figures. The man behind such classic films as "When Harry Met Sally" and "A Few Good Men" was an early supporter of Howard Dean's 2004 presidential bid. He also heavily campaigned for Sen. John Kerry that year when the Massachusetts Democrat won his party's nomination.

But Reiner told Variety his top choice for the White House would be former Vice President Al Gore.

"A long, long time ago, I thought he might get in, but he made it very clear he wasn't going to be a candidate, so I took him at his word and then went through the process of saying, 'Who is the most qualified?' The answer was Hillary," he said.

Clinton and rival Barack Obama have been locked in a battle for Hollywood supporters and their dollars since both candidates announced their presidential ambitions early this year.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Chip Celina OH

What's up with this guy?

The only one she's head & shoulders above is Kucinich, and maybe not him, he's a strapping 5'7".

"I came around to realizing that we do need the most experienced and most qualified person to run the country,"

The guy he passed on talking to has TWICE the experience as his choice. And several others have MORE experience and more QUALIFICATIONS.

Why didn't he just say, I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon too, she's ahead in the polls so there MUST be something to it.

Alexander Mooney,
    Thanks for putting this one on here, there've been a couple funny Meth-head, er... I mean ... Meat-head jokes in the posts. A couple obscure references I had forgotten about. The Meathead – Dingbat linkage was priceless. Whoever posted that one... Nice one.

Happy Thursday!

September 27, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. Dave, Mont Vernon, NH

September 27, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Aidyn, NY

This is great news!! I really like Rob and Hillary, they will make a great team.

September 27, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Daniel, Syracuse, NY

Who cares?! Is CNN going to poll every filmmaker or marginal celebrity? This gentleman is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but is it worth putting on CNN's homepage?

September 27, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. One_American

Meatheat picks the meat-puppet.

How appropriate, yet revolting.

September 27, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. Charlie Morales

Who cares who he picks.

Who cares about Hollywood's picks.

September 27, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. John, Houston, Texas

Wow, see I was wondering when Reiner was going to tell me who I should vote for, or give his endorsement to who he is going to vote for.

I was lost, until I was found...being told by another elitist about who they are going to vote for.

I cannot believe this is news worthy, no wonder CNN has low ratings.

September 27, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Headline: Hollywood director backs Clinton

In related news today, water is wet and fire will burn you.

September 27, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Steven Wargo, Pittsburgh PA

Rob Reiner backing the Democratic frontrunner. A bit "dog bites man" to be a news item, don't you think? He has mulled a run for governor on that same ticket.

What's your next breaking news item, "Michael Moore Doesn't like George W. Bush?" I already know that. He made two or three movies about it.

File this story under irrelevant and call me if Jane Fonda says she's voting for Tom Tancredo or if Ann Coulter marries Mike Gravel.

September 27, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. Ryan Indianapolis

Who cares, this guy is so out of touch with reality and the normal american citizen is mindboggling. If anything this guy needs to check into a gym.

September 27, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. CAMERON BROWN, RIVERSIDE, CA

IF HILLARY IS SO HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST OF THE CANDIDATES, THEN WHY DOES SHE NEED A STAR-STUDDED FUND-RAISING PARTY? MAYBE THE MISUNDERSTANDING HERE IS THAT I DON'T SEE ANYTHING IN THE SENATOR THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BE HER CITIZEN.

September 27, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Maurice, Washington, DC

Tickets to Europe and space is cheap around this time of the year so all you Hillary haters can get a one way ticket and go to some part of the world of your choice and live for the next 8 years until her presidency is over. She is going to be the next president. Deal with it. And let me be the first to say that when she gets the nomination all her rivals will rally behind her and do all they can do in their power to make sure she is elected. It's just the way it is. Don't let all this rhetoric fool you.

For those mad at CNN for putting this on their site, get over it. This is news. Might not be news to you so you have the option of not reading it but it's news to someone else. What defines a news worthy story? You can't make that defination.

September 27, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Trai K., Sacramento Ca.

I echo the person who described the life of a Hollywood celeb such as Streisand and Reiner who claim to speak for the people.

Most live in energy- consuming mansions – who needs 10 bathrooms for two or three people?! Most drive into Hollywood in limos – they CANT be in agreement with global warming right?!

They are far far away from inner city problems of LA and have security systems that cost more than what I make in a year. They are paid $5 million dollars per movie. They show up when they feel like it, and extol all these insults and condemnations of the White House. They hate the military. They spend more on their pets and plastic surgery and personal assistants than most of us make in a year. They want US – you and I – to STOP being so consumptive ! They want US to give more taxes for global wamring, energy studies, welfare, social services, school taxes, the war in Iraq, sales tax, this tax, that tax.

No, Hollywood does not speak for me and any candidates that aligns themselves with Hollywood is showing themselves to be hypocrites.

September 27, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Norman Hsu

Right on Rob! I agree one hundred percent with your endorsement!

By the way, can I borrow some money?

September 27, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Verna Jenkins, Fort Worth, Texas

Why is this news? Why should I or anyone else care what Rob Reiner thinks or who he supports for President? Why is his opinion any more important than me or any other person? And why is it newsworthy?
    Tell me CNN is not biased?

September 27, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Robert, Cleveland, OH

First, this is why democrats lost much more prsidential elections than GOP – you're liberals (and I'm pro-choice democrat myself) are attacking other democratic candidates more than republicans. As for "who cares" – well, this is a 37th comments on this small news – so YOU CARE indeed! :)) And Dave from NH – maybe you live in a different New Hampshire since you don't know ANYBODY redy to vote for Hilary. How about move around?

September 27, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. Sheryl, Babylon NY

This is news????????
    He's always been known as a Liberal with a capital L.
    It would be news if he supp[orred Guiliano for Pres.

September 27, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Jeb, Austin, TX

Why is this news? I hope news outlets post a story on me when I decide which candidate I pick.

September 27, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. Robert, Cleveland, OH

so, because nobody seems to care about YOUR opinion, anybody else's shouldn't matter? That's one of the way media/politics work – you get known and succesful people (both qualities should be there) and have them to endorse a candidate. Why such a reaction? Because he didn't endorse Obama or Edwards?

September 27, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Anne Rochester, MI

Don't we all just feel so much better now? Rob can throw a big party for "the Hill-Billy's" and charge it off as a tax deduction for his cutting edge political savvy?

Why is stuff like this headlines on any news ticker? Have we been holding our breathe waiting for this info? In addition to it being alot of "BUNK" to begin with??

September 27, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. Kevin, Houston

Im glad I now know who Rob Reiner and Moe from NY are voting for. I was going to wait for at least the primaries but they forced me to make up my mind. Thanks to you both. And thanks to CNN for I will no longer be visiting your site to waste time at work looking for credible news. Id rather read gawker.com.

September 27, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I still don't know a single New Hampshire voter that supports Hillary Clinton for president. Not one. Posted By Dave, Mont Vernon, NH : September 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Dave, you must live in a cave:

Rasmussen Reports

Democratic

HRC 40%
    BO 24%
    JE 14%

September 27, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. Brandon Snook, New York, NY

How is this news-worthy? How is this a surprise?

Good for Rob Reiner. Yawn...

September 27, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |