September 27th, 2007

Hollywood director backs Clinton

Reiner is lending his star-power to Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As a movie director, he put Michael Douglas in the White House in the 1995 hit movie, "The American President." But as a real life political activist, Hollywood mogul Rob Reiner has his sights set on making sure it’s Sen. Hillary Clinton who inhabits Washington’s top address come January 2009.

According to the Los Angeles Times and Variety, the noted director, producer and actor has decided to throw his star power behind the New York Democrat's White House bid and will throw a star-studded fundraiser for her in October.

"Every one of the Democratic candidates is strong, but Hillary is head and shoulders above the rest," he told the Times.

Reiner did not come to his decision lightly, Variety reports. He met with every other candidate running for the Democratic nomination except for former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel.

"Based on the experience I have had in politics, and I have been on the front lines in a lot of these fights, I came around to realizing that we do need the most experienced and most qualified person to run the country," he told Variety.

Clinton's campaign has not returned CNN's request for comment on the endorsement.

Reiner is one of Hollywood's most politically active figures. The man behind such classic films as "When Harry Met Sally" and "A Few Good Men" was an early supporter of Howard Dean's 2004 presidential bid. He also heavily campaigned for Sen. John Kerry that year when the Massachusetts Democrat won his party's nomination.

But Reiner told Variety his top choice for the White House would be former Vice President Al Gore.

"A long, long time ago, I thought he might get in, but he made it very clear he wasn't going to be a candidate, so I took him at his word and then went through the process of saying, 'Who is the most qualified?' The answer was Hillary," he said.

Clinton and rival Barack Obama have been locked in a battle for Hollywood supporters and their dollars since both candidates announced their presidential ambitions early this year.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jeremy Ogland Sacramento, CA

Director of Hollywood, not reality.

Are you going to announce when
    famous people back Republicans or
    is this an exclusively Democratic
    web site?

P.S. I would as a CNN reader/viewer
    appretiate you NOT allowing comments
    unrelated to the story–ie.the Guardian
    linked Iraq story. Thanks.

September 27, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Matt, Canoga Park CA

Yeah Meathead!! Way to prove you are the dingbat ignoramous Archie always said you were. Your experience in politics??? What did you run for or get elected for again? Being a bloated windbag with a microphone and a camera does not make you a politician.

Someone should tell Hillary that as well since she also is a bloated windbag with a microphone and a camera.

If you want to support someone and say they have experience they should actually have some kind of experience. Have done something. Made a law, passed a bill. Do democrats and liberals even know what experience means? For some reason the top two democratic presidential front runners have the least experience of the whole pack. Stop believing everything you see on tv, actually get out and research what it is they have done or in this case not done.

CNN this is not news. Can't you just have a section on your site for things that happened today but are not really news worthy.

And Maurice in DC here is a ticket for you. Utter disappointment coming in November 08.

September 27, 2007 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. rich day, port, va 23701

who cares what this fat turd thinks or who he endorses

September 27, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Lynn Ensley

Ole Rob is a smart boy alright. Picks a winner every time. Get used to it dummies, George, pat, Jerry and Carl, all fools, but Hillary can pull us out if anyone can.

September 27, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. Barbara, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I have been following the Democratic campaigns and debates and have come to the same conclusion as Rob Reiner. Hillary is definitely the best candidate. She is extremely intelligent judging from the way she answers questions in the debates and afterall she did graduate first in her Yale Law School class. I am looking forward to having her as the President of the US instead of that bumbling Bush who has a hard time speaking elementary school English and lied to us about the war in Iraq. Bush and the Republicans are turning the US from a Super Power into a third world country. We need someone with the skills of Hillary Clinton to turn things around in America and regain world respect for our country.

September 27, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

these hollywood types like jenny mccarthy and jenna jameson who don't really have any talent often make big bold moves such as ENDORSING A CANDIDATE in order to get public attention and make a career of some kind. rob reiner hasn't done anything in years – but now he's got free publicity. shameless fools who can't see that !

September 27, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. Arch-- Niles, IL

Rob Reiner used to be conservative before he was a big lib just like Hillary voted for the Iraq war before she voted against it.

September 27, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  8. Marie, Los Angeles, CA

I love Hillary, and when she becomes the Democratic nominee, I am going to help her CRUSH her opponent.

Bring those GOP idiots on!!

September 27, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. kathe oakland, calif

since when did you run for public office except in Hollow wood.
    "your experience in politics" please give me a breakkkkkkkkkkkkk

September 27, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Don F, Mount Prospect, Illinois

I'm holding off on committing to a candidate until I learn who will be endorsed by Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

September 27, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. Daniel, Minneapolis

Tsk, Tsk James from AZ. You didn't do your homework. Research before you blog....it's like thinking before you speak. I know it's a foreign idea for people like you.

September 27, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. James, Phoenix AZ

Yo Daniel – Minneapolis,

44 other people got the joke (Conservative Rob Reiner) – but you somehow missed it.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Sorry I you couldn't get the humor.. I know it's a foreign idea for people like you.

September 27, 2007 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Uma, mpls, MN

Anyone who is advocate for social justice and believe in equal right for both men and women likes Hillary Clinton to be the president of USA in 2008. People who has inner biases and hate see Hillary as a divider politician.

I am desperate to vote you Hill!

September 27, 2007 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Tony DDT, Costa Mesa

Meat Head + Politics = Socialism

September 27, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  15. Juanito, Washington, DC

Ok...I'll play the game that was played when Oprah endorsed Obama:

Rob Reiner is a racist because he only support Hillary because she's white.

September 27, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. Daniel, El Paso, TX

Why do we care which hollywood stars and producers back certain canididates? America has reached a new low. We are supposed to listen to Hollywood now on who we elect to the office of the presidency? The time has past of our great nation where it was each individual brain that did the thinking. Now we just turn to Hollywood and CNN to do the thinking for us. I am very afraid of where my country is headed.

September 28, 2007 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  17. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Marie LA, THANK YOU. Barbara Wisconsin, you wrote my heart, thank you for your comment from pure heart.
    Uma, don't vote Hillary, she has more than enough voters who care about Country and love America. Marie Houston, I am sure you need to see DOCTOR for your normal mentality.

September 28, 2007 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  18. Rocco, Wellington, Fl

After GW Bush Reiners quote should burn in every Americans brain. We have lived the nightmare!

September 28, 2007 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  19. Rob New York City

Until Hillary voted for the Kyl/Leieberman bill, I was supporting her. I will now throw my support to Edwards.

September 28, 2007 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  20. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

Not to worry republicans. Jed Clampett and Mr Drysdale will support the GOP nominee.

September 28, 2007 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  21. Thomas, St. Petersburg, FL

Thank you CNN for the breaking news; overpaid Hollywood brat, um, I mean political expert Rob Reiner backs Hillary Clinton. What a shock and a surprise; a liberal supporting one of it's own.

Archie was right; he is a meathead.

September 28, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  22. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

Just for the record – I'm no celebrity (OK, maybe a little in my own mind), but I'm also endorsing Hillary.

September 28, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Ken, Dayton, OH

wow, who cares.

September 28, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Jon, Chicago, IL

It's a mystery to me that this suspension of disbelief in outright defiance of the facts continues, namley in the false impression that Clinton is somehow more experienced? More experienced than who? Her senate experience is less than Edwards'. She has 4 more yrs in the Senate than Obama, but Obama's IL office holding experience more than compensates. And Dodd, Biden, Richardson and even Kucinich?-miles away VASTLY more experience. Are people counting First Lady toward her experience? Sorry, that's not an elected position–it's not even a cabinet-level appointment. In fact, it's patently irrelevant and Clinton will be too once we've come to our senses and nominate a candidate who is electable and doesn't have her polarizing negatives.

September 28, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Lauren, Bastrop Texas

A lot of the conservative remarks on this ticker sound pretty sexist. I think the Republicans are afraid of not having a old white man that's compensating for something around to screw up our economy. Actually, when it comes to Hillary..... they're absolutely terrified of her power =)

September 28, 2007 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |