October 2nd, 2007

Bloomberg falls victim to theft

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Two men have been accused of stealing money from the personal bank account of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the Manhattan District Attorney's office announced Tuesday.

Charles Nelson, 31, was charged with grand larceny and identity theft after stealing $10,000 from the billionaire in an online transaction on May 11, the district attorney's office said in a news release. The defendant allegedly transferred the money into an e-trade account and then withdrew it using a debit card.

Authorities discovered the withdrawal after being alerted to a different transfer from Bloomberg's account allegedly attempted by Odalis Bostic, 24, of Elizabeth, N.J.

Last June, Bostic allegedly attempted to deposit two forged checks from the mayor's financial manager, Geller & Company, into Bostic's company bank account. The defendant allegedly set up the Laderman Development Company, located in Elizabeth, N.J., and wrote two checks, for $190,000 and $230,000 respectively.

Barbara Thompson of the district attorney's office said the size of the amounts and the checks' fraudulent appearance raised their suspicions and an investigation revealed they were forgeries. Bostic was arraigned Tuesday in New York State Supreme Court and is being held on $10,000 bail. His next scheduled court date is Oct. 18.

According to Thompson, authorities are unsure whether the alleged crimes are connected. If convicted, each man could face up to seven years in prison.

– CNN's Andrea Stout and Sarah B. Boxer

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. laurinda,ny

I guess nothing is safe anymore. I bet Bloomberg will run as an Independent for the dissatisfied upper class. Do you think he can swing it?

October 2, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. Rodney Dallas TX

$10,000 to a billionaire is like a buck to you and me. I get robbed by the oil companies everytime I go to the gas pump. Why am I not on the front page of the paper?

October 2, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Jim David

ould not have happen to a nicer guy, to bad they didn't take everything , Will not even give the Cop's a raise up there

October 2, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. Charles, Annapolis, MD

That's funny because I got 15000 stolen from me in an identity theft and I was told by multiple agencies that they couldn't take my case. My bank refunded my money so I didn't loose anything, but I guess you have to be famous to get justice.

October 2, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  5. World Peace, Small Town(Afraid of Big City Blowing up), Wi

Hate Crime?

October 2, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  6. Wallace, Chicago IL

Hate Crime?

Puh-lease. What, do you work for CNN? Trying to start controversy I see.

Wallace

October 2, 2007 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  7. Adam

"The release said Nelson was arrested in Newark, N.J., after authorities discovered a computer, documents and two guns linking him to the crime. He was to be arraigned in New Jersey on weapons charges and then transferred to the district attorney's office."

How are two guns linking him to the crime relevent in in an online computer crime? The article states that $10K was stolen in an online transaction?

October 3, 2007 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  8. MaLinda Marietta, GA

When it comes to identity theft, it's not necessarily a matter of "if" it will happen to you, but "when". ID theft has become more commonplace than we would like to admit. And unfortunately, too many people are getting away with it. Everyone should be proactive and have a ID theft policy (like what you can find at snbconcepts.com) in place do not only monitor their identity but have restorative services to take care of the problem following the crime

October 5, 2007 10:06 am at 10:06 am |