October 2nd, 2007

Clinton raises $27 million in third quarter

Clinton outpaced Obama in third quarter fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton raised $27 million in the third quarter for her White House bid - all but $5 million can be spent on trying to win the Democratic presidential nomination, a Clinton aide tells CNN.

The aide also said that over 100,000 new donors contributed to the New York Democrat.

The haul is about $7 million more than Sen. Barack Obama brought in during the same period. Though when broken to dollars that can be spent in the primary race, the New York Democrat only outpaced Obama by $3 million.

On Clinton's Web site, Campaign Manager Patti Solis Doyle thanked supporters for the successful quarter and said their "dedication defied the skeptics."

"This is all thanks to you and your hard work," she wrote. "You - and over a million supporters like you - are working together with Hillary to create real momentum that will take us to victory."

Monday, the campaigns for Obama and former Sen. John Edwards announced their candidates had pulled in $20 million and $7 million, respectively.

Full story

Related: Obama raises at least $20 million in third quarter

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Mark Preston and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Carol from Green Valley AZ

Isn't it scarry we can think about electing our next President by how much money they raise rather than who can serve this country and protect America and will guide the U.S. instead of turning it into a socialistic Nation

October 2, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. sonya, atlanta, ga

HRC totals include the million dollar from HSU and the 260 donors she has to refund that is nearly $2 million she will have to substract by 10/15.

October 2, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Chris, Middletown, CT

Truth Teller
    I'm a Republican – thank you for posting that – its a good read – Obama is alittle left leaning – but if Giuliani is not running – and Obama is the nominee....he will get my vote – I like what he has to say.

October 2, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. sonya, atlanta, ga

Actually Hillary needs to thank Bill. She is using him far more heavily than she planned.

October 2, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. Wesner, Miami Beach, Fl

HMMM!! Did shrellary get that money from another fugitive...WOW!!! What a leader....How come Shrillary always waited to see what everybody comes up with first, then come with something different....Hey Shrillary, how did you feel when you saw and heard that Obama had gathered a crowd over 24,000 in your own backyard...Answer that Shrillary...

October 2, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. A. Thomas, New York, NY

A couple of days ago, I saw Obama supporters bragging about the 20 million raised by him. Now, they are mad that Hillary out raised Obama, and tried to ridicule her and her campaign!

Their blood is boiling. The crowd has envy and success blinds them all.

The donors and polls agree with she will and can do for the country.

Yes, Hillary will be the next president of USA!

October 2, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. LM, Ardmore, OK

Dan in Tx, I agree 100%. See you this weekend.

October 2, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  8. biqui, Clearwater FL

EXACTLY!!! How much of this money camer from her husband and all of his cronies and all the other lieing, cheating, power-hungry people that are her supporters?

October 2, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  9. Eric, Westport, Ct

Must be a slow news day at CNN...

Are you meaning to tell me that I should consider Hilary as a serious contender for President because her masterful organization is dialed in and can raise $23MM in a quarter?

Wow, you guys have it all wrong. In my view, big money is what's wrong... the cost of running for office, just about any office above town council, is out of line with reality.

Sell your soul to the devil.

I for one am not positively impressed by one's campaigns ability to raise massive amounts of money. I am hardened and cynical as a result of life's travails.

October 2, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Disgusted, Austin, TX

Hillary is being supported because she can "slam" the GOP and "slam" Obama.

Do you people REALLY read what you are posting?

How ignorant do you have to be to be misled like this?

She has even publically said it will take the full expent of both her terms to bring home the troops from Iraq.

She relies on lobbyist and coprorate support, since she has a hard time getting approval from the general public, except those who are easily swayed by the media.

She is a tool of the DNP and GOP, and she is being promoted because they know she will continue politics as usual.

I'd take a real leader like Obama, Richardson, Giuliani, or even McCain before her.

I'm sick of corruption

October 2, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. Ryan, Boston MA

Should we be looking at this as 'he/she with the most money is most in the pocket of big business'? I'm happy Obama got less.

October 2, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Scott, Ohio

you people are sickening. This whole election makes me want to puke. I rank the candidates from best to worst almost exactly the OPPOSITE of most money to least money. Clinton, Guiliani, Romney...I would gnaw my own hand off before I vote for any of them. I'm not a big fan of Obama, but since the candidates that I do like don't have a chance, I have to go with him as he is the least of all the evils.

October 2, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. Eileen, NY

It is a shame that all this money is going to political campaigns when there are children sick and starving all over this country and the world.

October 2, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. Robert, Shelton CT

She really is the best candidate, I had donated to Obama's camp, but I had problems with his campaign staff which is a reflection of him.....go Hillary!

October 2, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. President George W. Bush, Washington D.C.

Hillary is going to be the Democrat nominee ok people? There's no sense in fighting it...She will be the Democrat in 2008...Barack Obama is a literate black person. But he is too naive and EXPERIENCED! Ummm...Like I said, Hillary will win, because that's what Karl Rove told me he wants to happen, and Karl is always right!

October 2, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Russell NC

What a beautiful picture, Hillary. Who are you mad at?

October 2, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. b-rocks New York, NY

I was watching Ann Coulter on the "Today" show this morning offering praise for Hillary Clinton on foreign policy. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

October 2, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Lee, Ann Arbor, Michigan

It will be interesting to see, down the road, how much of this money raised came from crooks, convicts, and Norman Hsu types.

As to how much money she raises, the real "acid test" is can she be elected in a general election? Even many democrats worry that she cannot. A NY Times article on Sunday compared her to Al Gore in 2000....how he had everything going for him and STILL blew it!

She will be the BIGGEST TARGET EVER in a campaign. Their will never be another candidate that is so divisive as her. They have dragged "slick willy" out a lot earlier than expected because she is already having to pull out all the stops in the campaign cycle.

October 2, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. Syf, Chicago, IL

I want to see how Stephen Colbert spins this, at least his character is much more realistic in reporting the entire story, even if he has a perfect unbreakable standing on issues.

Besides, Huckabee was on his program and his polls have risen, and was named a contender. Let's see what else this "win" spin will get.

Besides, I win all the time, doesn't mean I'm a great presidential canditate.

October 2, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. A. Thomas, New York, NY

It is important to note that, even Hillary raised the largest amount of money in the last 3 quarters, she has spent the least amount of money, on a % basis of all democrat candidates. Meanings:

a) She is more effective, & efficient in money, in getting her message across to voters; and

b) She has the most fire power left for her nomination campaign.

I see see the Hillary tsunami coming....LOL (yes, belly laugh like Hillary)

October 2, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  21. Conservative James, Phoenix AZ

Posted By Terry, El Paso, TX : October 2, 2007 2:04 pm

Terry – while we likely disagree politically, what I respect about your post is your authenticity. I believe you. It's this "authenticity" which brings political advesaries to the table of dialogue.

For many of us conservatives – we reject the Clinton approach (Bill and Hillary) because we perceive them to be FAKE. Everything is calculated. Every decision, laugh, denial, attack is weighed for the result: Will it get them elected. HENCE – why Obama is getting so much attention. I would (as a conservative) hands-down vote for Obama any day over Hillary on this one issue alone: authenticity.

If Hillary were to win the White House, yes we would have another 4 years of strife and division.

October 2, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Ann Coulter praisng Hillary? Bush & Ginggrich did too.

How can you argue with success?

October 2, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. John NC

We certainly don't need another Clinton in the White House. The Clinton's should do the people a favor and just ride off into the sunset.

October 2, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Ken, Austin TX

It's funny how when Barack made more money than Hillary last quarter, CNN only wrote a small article on it. Now that Hillary has beat Obama this quarter, it's the top story. Umph.

October 2, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. Mike Austin Texas

The fact of the matter is that the positive press for Hillary and those jumping on her bandwagon even from those that previously opposed her is going to become more prevelant as "pro government" officials realize that the best choice may not be republican but at least it's the more conservative choice. The fact is that Obama represents change. Not change for the sake of changing but well thought out, intelligent, planned change that this country drastically needs. It is time to stray from the over beaten path that is getting us nowhere fast. Quit settling for the status quo and challenge the system. It's time we decide as empowered individuals to decide the path to our futures. Perhaps unlike anytime before we have another chance now!

October 2, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |