October 2nd, 2007

Clinton raises $27 million in third quarter

Clinton outpaced Obama in third quarter fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton raised $27 million in the third quarter for her White House bid - all but $5 million can be spent on trying to win the Democratic presidential nomination, a Clinton aide tells CNN.

The aide also said that over 100,000 new donors contributed to the New York Democrat.

The haul is about $7 million more than Sen. Barack Obama brought in during the same period. Though when broken to dollars that can be spent in the primary race, the New York Democrat only outpaced Obama by $3 million.

On Clinton's Web site, Campaign Manager Patti Solis Doyle thanked supporters for the successful quarter and said their "dedication defied the skeptics."

"This is all thanks to you and your hard work," she wrote. "You - and over a million supporters like you - are working together with Hillary to create real momentum that will take us to victory."

Monday, the campaigns for Obama and former Sen. John Edwards announced their candidates had pulled in $20 million and $7 million, respectively.

Full story

Related: Obama raises at least $20 million in third quarter

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Mark Preston and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. laurinda,ny

Well, I have changed my mind. As a democrat I will not vote for her or Obama. I've thought about it and in good conscience I can't. I want a strong man like Richardson.

October 2, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. Anonymous in CA

You are going to continue to see conservatives like Gingrich and Bush and Coulter and others give "boosts" to Hillary Clinton.

No point in saying it over and over again. She is "politics as usual", and even though she can shore up an audience with speeches berating Republicans and Conservatives, that in itself does not make for a quality leader.

She has already stated it will take both her terms to get the troops pulled from Iraq. We all know the conflict is ending, it's now just a money pit for the lobbyists and contractors, of which I bet she's getting healthy contributions.

People, don't be deceived. If you are Democrat and want change, look at Obama or Richardson as a leader. If you are Republican, look at McCain or Paul.

Choose and vote wisely people.

October 2, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Rex, Houghton, Michigan

Clinton is coming in ahead of Obama this quarter for fund raising but the monetary bragging lacks value without the number of persons who actually contributed. When you compare dollars to votes, hundreds of thousands of poor Americans giving their $10.00 to Obama carries more weight then a handful of millionaires giving a handout to Clinton.

Others are talking about the polls. Let’s not talk about the polls—these polling agencies are the same ones who said Kerry and Gore would beat Bush—these polling agencies lack the credibility to forecast reality.

October 2, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Zack, NJ

to Truth Teller:

Thanks for your response. I didn't know he was making a policy address today.

I bet no one will really cover it. What's the big news/surprise with Hillary getting all that money anyway? She still takes from lobbyists. Let's see who she's getting the money from. More fugitives? China?

What has she done for NY as a Senator? Not much that I recall. Might as well have Schumer run. He seems to at least have done more for NY for the amount of time each have been Senator.

October 2, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. Rex, Houghton, Michigan

For A. Thomas, regarding your comment about Ann Coulter and Bush praising Hillary and further asking 'how can you argue with success?'

Republicans need Clinton to win the democratic nomination.

Clinton will bring every conservative out to vote against her ensuring the republicans a White House victory again. If Obama wins the democrat nomination there is concern because Obama sounds reasonable and responsible to conservatives as well as liberals—Obama will take voters who have in the past voted republican. Ann Coulter and Bush both know that republicans will win against Clinton and that is why they are supporting her. As you said, “how can you argue with success?”

October 2, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Larry, West Covina CA

I love it when all you little Obama freaks get all ticked off when Hillary does better and then try to put it off as CNN is giving her extended coverage. When Barack Hussein Obama outraised her it was no different, Obama headlined. Stop saying CNN is trying to hype the Clinton camp. The Clinton campaign is doing great, ACCEPT IT. She will be the nominee. I know Obama preaches like he's the Mesiah and that he's going to change the world. He's not! Clinton has the strength, experience in both domestic and foreign policy, as well as the true leadership skills our president needs.

HILLARY CLINTON 2008!!!!!!

October 2, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Given up hope

I guess all is forgotten and/or forgiven for the scandals her and her husband were involved in (not the Monica thing either) back during his reign. Ever wonder why they are fighting so hard to keep their records and transcripts, of her husbands presidency, secret? What's her hidden agenda? Helping the USA? I seriously doubt it.

October 2, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Tom, Anaheim, CA

Don't care about you any more. You can raise 37 billion and I could not care less. When you endorsed Lieberman's Iran resolution you proved to me your ultimate loyality lies with Israel. I believe you'd put American soldiers and sailors in harms way to protect Israel. I believe this is a big reason you all lined up behind Bush to go into Iraq. Think ahead. If Bush attacks Iran, and I believe he will, you will be in concert with him again and I swear your name will never be spoken of favorably in my presence again. America's well being first is my issue. Iran poses no threat to America. Iran is not arming militia. Learn the facts. Big east coast Jewish money and Dick Cheney are pushing hard to get American's to engage Iran. And Bush will with the help of Hillary, Lieberman, Jon Kyl & 73 other senators. They will say and do say this is not a precursor to attack Iran but that is another lie and Joe Lieberman would say anything to get American's killing Iranians. He was a leader of the senate support for war with Iraq for the same exact reason and he going to go it again. Cheney probably sent him a big box of Havana cigars for making this happen and paving the way to the next war.

October 2, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Meg, Atlanta, GA

Here's a poll I'd like to see...if HRC wins the nomination will Obama supporters vote for her in the general; and vice versa.

October 2, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Jeremy, Columbus OH

Well as they have always said, you either love her or you hate her. Looking at this board there is a lot of love and hate. I personally like Hillary, yes sometimes she may not be the most personable individual, but look at the Bozo in office right now.

Hillary is tough and very well versed in politics, more so than the other candidates. It's time this country had a woman president and I would want a woman who was tough,didn't take crap from anyone, intelligent, and knows what they are doing. Hillary is that individual and woman to get the job done and done right, which is why she will get my vote.

October 2, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Marlene O.C., Calif. Democrat

I agree with TJ Williams, LA, CA 1000%.
    OBAMA is the true and genuine candidate. Just go to one of his rallies and listen!
    Hillary is just another Republican in disguise! Wonder how much of the 27mil is from PAC and other special interest groups???? A Clinton Presidency would just be an extension of the "Bush" one. Hey Clintonians – is that what you really want? Think about it????

October 2, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. CARL,MARTINS FERRY,OHIO 43935

CNN WHAT A PHONY COMPANY YOU PEOPLE ARE. WHEN A REPUBLICAN RAISES THAT KIND OF $ YOU ARE ALL OVER THEM ABOUT WHO THE SOLD OUT TO
    LIKE DRUG COMPAMIES BUT WITH CLINTONS YOU DON'T MENTION A WORD ABOUT WHERE SHE RAISES THE MONEY. OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL YOU MIGHT ACT LIKE AND AMERICAN SUPPORTER WHICH YOU ARE NOT.

October 2, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  13. BCNU purple state, usa

Posted By laurinda,ny
    ==============================================

Laurinda,
    Welcome back from the dark side! I like Obama, but at least you've seen the light with regard to the Hildabeast!

October 2, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. A. Thomas, New York, NY

To Rex of Houghton,
    You said Ann Coulter and Bush supported Hillary because they know that the republicans will win against Hillary (instead of Obama).

Your position is not supported by the various polls at all. The polls say that MOST american voters in the next general election will vote for

(a) a democratic nominee instead of a republican nominee;

(b) Hillary over any republican candidate, including Giuliani.

Another republican, Gingrich, says Hillary has 80% of winning the next election.

With so much rasied by Hillary vs other republican candidate, Hillary's presidential is very promising.

October 2, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. Buddy

We had one Clinton as President, We Do Not Need the Other One!!! The First One Proved He Could Not Be Trusted.
    He Cost This Country, (NAFTA). The Only People That NAFTA Helped was Mexicans. Now We have Bush Who Will Not Close Our Boarders. Put The Marines on Our Boaeders, They Need The Practice!!

October 2, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  16. homeless

Sister, can you spare a dime?

October 2, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. Jen, Gainesville, FL

I do not trust her numbers. In fact I do not trust anything she says. What did she do with Mr. Hsu's money, which is close to a million? Given the 30 years' Clinton machine, if she does not outraise other candidates by 200%, the result would be a disappointment and thus embarassment to her.

October 2, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. Gerald, Toms River NJ

How much more money can the special interest groups provide? Worst yet, how much of our tax dollars will be provided back after 08? Think real hard folks....Its not her money now and it won't be her money later!

October 2, 2007 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  19. james

a) She is more effective, & efficient in money, in getting her message across to voters; you have said that exactly right!!! you go Hillary Girl... she is very efficient at taking care money and where our money goes...she would be a good banker.she is the only one who can bring back a surplus and get the troops out safely but as she said 2013 she has to wait until she gets in there under that white house ya never know what ynder the rug either..i know i feel for any who has to go into that mess ..its totally messed up..

October 2, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  20. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

millions for hillary...millions for obama... why aren't they trying to gain the nomination through credibility, experience, character, patriotism and their track record? oh I forgot, money makes the world go 'round

October 2, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. World Peace, Small Town(Afraid of Big City blowing up), Wi

Time to go back to Peace and Prosperity. Down with Bush Clans; War Mongers!!!

October 2, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Louis, St. Louis, MO

I start to find more people using this word to describe people (hypocrites).

>I just love how the Obama supporters make $7 million more raised seem like nothing at all. They would be head over heels making all sort of craziness if Obama could even raise $1 million more than Hillary.

>I've had enough of these Obama hypocrites.

>Posted By Joel, Michigan : October 2, 2007 10:18 am

Our country needs real change, not cheap talk.

October 2, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  23. Joe

I see Hillary will get it,the political machine is in the works,if she wants, she can raise 100 million..ya wait and see.If she is our President I will accept it.But if Bill R.notches it up and gets the support and a statement to this fact on his website,he will bring the troops home now,every single one of them, not no 2013 like obama and hrc said.

"I believe it would be enormously unwise for the Bush administration to start
    another war before ending this tragic war we're in today and it does sound
    like the administration is ramping up. You can just see it,"BR

October 2, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  24. A. Thomas, New York, NY

To Rex of Houghton:

You said that "Ann Coulter and Bush both know that republicans will win against Clinton and that is why they are supportin her."

Your statement is incorrect. Based on various polls by different organizations:

a) Most american voters in the next election will choose a democrat nominee over a republican norminee.

b) Hillary has the highest poll standing from dem voters and she also beats the leading republican candidate (Giuliani) if the election is held today.

Another republican, Gingrich, who withdrew his candidacy a few days ago, also predicted that Hillary will have 80% chance of becoming the next president. This is the only thing I agree with Gingrich. Reasons:

a) Hillary has raised the most money of all candidates, dem or republicans, and still has the most firing power (cash on hand) left for her campaigns.

b) She has an effective and efficient campaign machine, and a proven experienced strategist and advisor (Bill Clinton) who will deflect all attacks thrown at her.

c) She is experienced, smart and has heart towards public service.

Hillary 08!

October 2, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  25. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I wish people to watch Democrats Debate, she is smarter than any candidate there. That's why people support her, it($27m) makes sense. Hillary's interview with Tim and George was the highest quality time in my life.

October 2, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |