October 2nd, 2007

Clinton's cackle coverage

Jeanne Moos reports Sen. Clinton has been all smiles lately.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - CNN's Jeanne Moos reports Hillary Clinton's "cackle" is the latest talk of the town.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Sandy, Houston, Texas

Give her a break. She has been treated unfairly by the media. I am a repubican but I am also a woman and I am thinking about voting for her, not only because the rest of the pack is not exactly what I am looking for but also to end this vicious attack against her. GO HIllary!

October 2, 2007 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  2. Dan, TX

Although I support Obama, do we really need to complain about laughter. Laughter is a good thing. I don't mind the laughing at all.

October 2, 2007 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. Michael James -- Illinois

The issue is not what her laugh is labeled, it is the timing of when it appears. I have heard very little laughter from any candidate out on the campaign trail or in a debate, yet Hillary seems to break out the big laugh whenever she gets asked a question she wasn't ready for. The laugh, in such instances, is an artifice, much like when she pretended to not hear the question in one of the early debates.

Talking about Hillary's laugh (or cackle) is as unimportant as covering Howard Dean's "scream" in Iowa. Probably meaningless in and of itself, but if it bothers enough people, it will do some damage. Furthermore, if it is as contrived as it sounds to this listener, it definitely reveals a bit of the candidate's personality.

October 2, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. Maria, Houston

This is a valid point. Anybody who watched debates or her interviews know that she is using her cackle to show that it is beneath her to answer or comment. It is condescending and insincere. It is becoming her trademark response, since she is dodging most of questions.

October 2, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. Pat, Huntington, NY

Describing Hillary's laugh as a "cackle" is sexist. If she were a man, his laugh would be called, "bold" "voicferous", "hearty". But because she's a woman...it's compared to the noise made by hens! Nice to see sexism is still alive and well in this country. Oh, and Guiliani's balding hair makes me sick, as does McCain's facial disfigurement, Thompson's utter ugliness and fatness, as does Mitt's pointy nose and shifty eyes, etc etc etc.

October 2, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. Chip Celina OH

Sandy in Houston,

You write:
    "I am also a woman and I am thinking about voting for her, not only because the rest of the pack is not exactly what I am looking for but also to end this vicious attack against her."

Unfortunately, if she wins, the unending, vicious attack will not end, it will only get worse. As many can see by my other posts, I am not a Hillary fan. Not because of personal things (although I've taken some pot-shots on these blogs to try and be funny) but because, in my opinion, many HillPraisers are being hood-winked.

What are you looking for in a candidate that the rest of the pack doesn't necessarily represent? I think, depending on what one looks for, everyone can find it in Hillary since she seems to be on every side of every issue.

Anyway, I hope you're having a good day,

October 2, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. BCNU purple state, usa

With this picture, Sylvester Stallone will be the next big HillRaiser...

Adrian! Adrian!

October 2, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Still thinking wpb, fl

It's been my experience that when an adversary sinks to the level of making person attacks, then they have already lost the argument. Sounds like the opposing side is getting desparate.
    Ah, well.

October 2, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

If CNN wrote the same thing about a Republican, a lot of the comments would be snide and in agreement. That's called hypocrisy.

What comes around goes around.

If you don't like your candidate being treated this way, don't put up with it EVER. CNN – grow up.

October 2, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Rafi Mittlefehldt, New York, NY

Dear CNN,

I think from now on, before posting something, you should ask yourselves if it's something the Wall Street Journal, New York Times or Washington Post would ever be caught dead reporting, or if it's something mroe suited to People and Entertainment Weekly.

There are plenty other Time Warner subsidiaries that can report crap like this. Please stick to news.

Thanks,

October 2, 2007 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

She is not human.

October 2, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. Al, NY NY

Her cackle is a lot more appealing than the smarmy grin that the GOP's current leader shows. I can hear the rusty gears grinding as his brain tries to put together something coherent to say.....which happens rarely

October 2, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Pat- Huntington, NY

October 2, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. John, Christiansburg, VA

Great news report, guys. When I want to learn more about the world around me, I'm gonna keep coming straight to CNN. This is really important stuff!

October 2, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. H Eugene Morgan

Hillary's laugh is nothing to ridicule,compared to the way George Bush sneers at the country and world, after he lied to us about the Iraq war.People whoare launching personal attacks on Hillary can;t find better ways to take this country,so they resort to vicios attacks.

October 2, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. Joseph, Queens, NY

I like her laugh.

October 2, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. DISENCHANTED, PHILADELPHIA-the former nation's capital, PA

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. IF YOU EXPECT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC TO TAKE POLITICS-THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY SERIOUSLY THAT WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF A WOMAN'S LAUGH????????

OBVIOUSLY A BUNCH OF BORED, SCARED MEN ARE SITTING BEHIND YOUR COMPUTERS WITH NOTHING TO DO EXCEPT POKE FUN AT THE PROSPECT OF A WOMEN RULING THE 'GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH.'

GET A LIFE...GROW A SET.

October 2, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. Eric, Jacksonville, FL

The previous posters are truly clueless. This cackle is yet another example of how fake and cold of a person she is. The posters that think she is being targeted/attacked by the media need a reality check since she gets nothing but easy and non-confrontational questions as opposed to her conservative counterparts. Wake up and accept the fact that she has no personality and is scripted in everything that she does!

October 2, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. Conservative James, Phoenix AZ

Hillary, like her husband, is 100% calculated:

Moving to NY to find an "accepting" electorate to put her into office (because Arkansas wouldn't have her).

Assuring she wasn't going to run for the Presidency while a senator (as Bill and the DNC were doing focus groups)

Publicly calling for Iraq time-tables after rumblings in the party about her not taking a strong enough stance against the war (which she voted for).

Publicly suggesting General Petreaus was lying ("willing suspension of disbelief") on the SAME day Moveon.Org runs "General Betray Us" ad.

Now... she "cackles" whenever someone asks a question she doesn't want to answer. Those that refuse to SEE continue living in blindness.

October 2, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. Chris, Middletown, CT

She's beautiful and intelligent and deserves all the praise she gets – (I was talking about Pam Anderson – Hillary is a socialist monster who has convinced her anti-war supporters that she didn't vote to go to war with the same intelligence Bush had....then tells them this is "Bushs War" – and these meatballs lap up every word....

October 2, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Taylor Banaszak, Bronx, NY

This is what we find important to discuss? Hillary's laugh? With a war in Iraq, health care, social security, poverty, global warming and Darfur just for starters, at the forefront of our minds (or should be) during this election, we need to discuss Hillary's laugh?

Come on, this is comical.

As a republican who is thoroughly disgusted with her own party and as someone who would have never voted for a Clinton ten years ago. I have to say I find myself closer and closer to voting for her, regardless of whether she cackles.

Is she calculating? I sure hope so. I don't want a president that functions on a wing and a prayer. I want a president that thinks of all the options and strategizes.

Will I vote for her just because she is a woman? No. I actually like Obama slightly more then Hillary but I don't think he's experienced enough at a time of war. In eight years, maybe even four, definitely. And John Edwards, while I like him a lot as well, I just feel he's another wimpy democrat. I want a leader with a backbone...and Hillary surely seems to have one.

Go democrats. Shame on the all white, male, prowar Republicans. They need some diversity in their party in sex, color and thought.

October 2, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  22. Jakob

Interesting how oblivious the people are who say thet the coverage of Se. Clinton is gender biased. Howard Dean, Howard Dean, Howard Dean. There is only a bias in your head!

October 2, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Christian, Tampa FL

There's nothing wrong with cackling. Perhaps it will strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. Or maybe not, I dunno.

October 2, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Suzanne, Columbus, OH

For the record OSU, all of the women I know in their forties, myself included, are disgusted by BUSH. Even if he weren't a beady-eyed fool, how could any evolved woman be attracted to someone so unable to listen, compromise and sympathize? Let alone have an intellectual though.

Maybe Hillary was laughing at the media. Definielty at what passes for "journalism" at FoxNews.

October 2, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. GeorgiaTaxpayer

That's that same cackle I hear every time she makes another promise to spend more taxpayer's money. God help us..

October 2, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |