October 3rd, 2007

Bush vetoes child health insurance bill

Kids pull wagons full of petitions this week asking President Bush not to veto insurance legislation.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bush on Wednesday vetoed legislation expanding a children's health insurance program by $35 billion over five years.

Bush quietly exercised the veto at 10 a.m. before leaving the White House for a trip to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to discuss the federal budget and taxes.

Congress sent the legislation expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program, or SCHIP, to the White House on Tuesday.

Full story

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Freeloading Ne'er-do-well, NY

"You see if you have a job, why, you're expected to carry along a truckload of freeloaders behind you."

I have a job, and the paltry amount I pay in taxes is nothing compared to the amount that gets sucked out of my paycheck to buy private health care coverage, offset the coverage costs of less healthy plan participants, AND to give the plan shareholders a nice fat profit. Then if I try to use any of that all-American private health care, I get to pay a copayment. If the doctor finds something's wrong, I get to pay coinsurance to have it fixed. Of course, the carrier won't put in a dime until I pay a $3000 deductible first. And if I need any medicine, the carrier will choose it for me and then let me foot 30% of the bill.
    My insurance carrier makes a mint off of me, as I pay lots in premiums and deductibles and copayments in order to receive routine, basic medical care. I do it out of fear that someday I might get really sick–in which case my carrier wouldn't pay for all of my care, but would at least pay for some, which is better than none.

You're right–I do seem to have a mooch on my tail.

October 4, 2007 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  2. Pall Forloney, Riomaggiore, Italy

Please,NBC,CBS,FOX,ABC,CNN and who ever broadcast the news tell the truth about this bill. This bill is not what you think it is and you should be told the truth. The headline reads; BUSH VETOS CHILDRENS HEALTH INSURANCE BILL, but tell the whole story. You see the Dems lining up to say Bush did it again, but really they did it again. Please read the bill.

October 4, 2007 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  3. Mark B, Minneapolis, MN

Henry Tucker,

"PLEASE do some basic research!! If you did you would find the top 10% of wage earners ($100,000 or more) pay almost 70% of the total taxes each year. The bottom 66% of the population pays only 10% of the total taxes each year… but USE 70% of the benefits."

First of all, you are almost right (with the high-end tax cuts, the top 10% now only pay about 50% of the taxes) and completely wrong. The top 10% of the wage earners control approximately 90% of the wealth in the country, so they are clearly underpaying on their taxes and sloughing off their burden on people who can less afford it.

October 4, 2007 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  4. Zoe, Austin Texas

Terry from El Paso,
    Perhaps you should reread the definition of fascism. I think Paul has it right.

October 4, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Henry Tucker, Ga

Mark B – Minneapolis

I certainly HOPE you are not a tax consultant or work in the field of accounting our accurial science.

The most recent data available (I'll provide the link):

Total # of tax returns for US: 128,323,986 returns
    Top 10%: 12,832,399 returns

Total Income reported (all returns): $6,113,778 (million)
    Top 10%: 2,553,475 (million) = 41% – not the 90% you guessed at

Total Taxes Paid (all): $796,862 (million)
    Top 10%: 523,812 (million) = 65%

Again – the top 10% in our country (earns 41% of income), uses 10% of the "benefits", but PAYS 65% of the bill.

Hey – don't let FACTS get in the way of your Stick-it-to-the-rich bumper sticker, Mike Gravel ..er.. Mark. With Hillary Clinton in office, the top 10% will be paying 90% of the bills and everyone else getting free childcare, healthcare, college-fare, ....

October 4, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. Dalton.B

WOW FIRST WHOEVER IS UNDER ME IS REALLY STUCK UP... I MEAN COME ON ITS ALITTEL MORE TAX MONEY TO HELP THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY AND I'M SURE EVEN WITH YOUR LOW WAGES EVEN YOU COULD PAY ALITTEL MORE TO HELP THE KIDS. P.S. "I DID MY RESERCH"

October 8, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. SEAN, TATUM

I WORK AT 7-11 AND I KNOW THAT EVEN I CAN AFFORD A LITTEL MORE TAX MONEY TO HELP THE KIDS. BECAUSE I HAVE TWO AND I LOVE THEM BOTH AND I WOULD NEVER WANT TO SEE THEM OR ANYONE ELSE'S KIDS NOT GET THE PROPER CARE THEY NEED THEY ARE OUR FUTURE. GO G.W!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Henry Tucker, Ga

Tim – Seattle,

You wrote, "I do consider it fair in light of the fact that the top 2% in this country control 85% of the money. For the record I dont swing socialist, but thanks for playing."

Tim, I provided actual statistics about the US Tax distribution in a previous post. You might want to click on the link and LEARN the facts before espousing silly statements about the top 2% controlling 85% of the money.

Stick-it-to-the-rich to pay for everyone else's bills?

October 8, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Adrian, Kitsap WA

Liberals drive me nuts. I've got an idea. Pay for your own stuff. If ou're making $60,000. a year and you have a kid, buy them some health insurance for Gods sake!

I'm middle class. Me, my wife, and a 5 year old in a house with a mortgage. We pay a ridiculous amount for health insurance and my coverage sucks. We would've qualified for this program and saved on our insurance, BUT...what about the real POOR kids that are on government insurance. In WA an extremely low % of doctors are accepting gvmt health care (less than 20%). Add the middle class to that group and kids who really need care are going to have to wait longer for their services because people like me would be clogging the system. I'd rather pay my premiums and be pissed off at the lousy coverage than deprive a poor child of their ONLY option.

If paying my own insurance means we don't get to go to Mexico this year, so be it, Personal responsibility made this country great. Lazy people who feel they're entitled to have everything paid for them are destroying our country.

As for illegals getting free health care; NO WAY. Free bus tickets is a stretch, but if the government needs to raise my taxes to pay for deporting illegals it will be the only time I've ever smiled while paying my tax bill.

November 15, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |