October 3rd, 2007

McCain: Bush right to veto kids health insurance expansion

Watch McCain on board the CNN Election Express Wednesday.

CAMDEN, South Carolina (CNN) – Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, told CNN Wednesday he agrees with President Bush's veto of legislation expanding a children's health insurance program, saying the bill provided a "phony smoke and mirrors way of paying for it."

"Right call by the president," the Republican White House hopeful told CNN's John King. "We've laid a debt on these same children ... that we're saying we're going to give health insurance to."

The bill, which would cost $35 billion over five years, is meant to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program to provide coverage to an additional 10 million children.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • South Carolina
  1. Laura - Tulsa, OK

Im with the President on this one because this bill was set up to provide for those near poverty who truly have no choice . Now, to expand it, is to send a message to families making $81,999.00 that will be taken care of by taxpayers making $82,000.00. It's ridiculous that people in this salary range can't prioritize their budgets to pay for medical ins.

October 3, 2007 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. Ron G. , St Louis, Mo.

This expanded plan is for those who simply choose not to spend money on health needs. They obviously have money for gas-guzzling vans and SUVs, McDonald's , movie tickets, Halloween decorations, vacations. Isn't your health more important that any of these things?

October 3, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. Irene, Clearwater, FL

>>>10 million children who ALREADY HAVE health insurance for the most part. There is no problem obtaining health insurance in the middle class

What planet do you live on?

Most small employers don't offer insurance and the premiums to self insure with a catastrophic plan are more than a car payment or small mortgage.

THEN the plan has a deductible in the thousands range, only pays a percentage of medical expenses, and only pays when the insurance company thinks they should.

I'm a Republican, btw. I'm making good money and my employer subsidizes my insurance and it is still a massive amount from my paycheck for iffy-at-best coverage. I'm fully in favor of a national healthcare plan. I'd rather my taxes go to that and securing our borders than pursuing a failed military action on the other side of the world. I'd rather have health care for those who need it than another tax cut that works out to a few hundred dollars a year for the middle class.

The politicians who are arguing that we don't need socialized medicine never have to worry about where their coverage is coming from–they have it for life now. They don't have to have conversations with their friends about choosing to feed their families or pay for prescriptions. They don't have to talk about selling everything their grandparents own just so they can afford long term nursing care. They don't have to decided which of their sick children needs to see the doctor the most because they can only afford one doctor's visit.

They're too disconnected from the people they're supposed to represent, and it shows.

I'm sorely disappoined in all our candidates on both sides. This is the BEST we can come up with?

Sheesh.

October 3, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  4. Anonymous, Calif.

Why do only children get federal funding for healthcare insurance?

What kind of a scam is this? What about the hard-working taxpayers that are paying the bills for these guys?

I guess that they don't care about the taxpayers getting healthcare. Now that is smoke and mirrors.

October 4, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  5. Mike P Willow S MO

I cant help but to notice all the stupidity of many of the commentors here,,,,,nobody is denying that kids need help in medical care in America, not the President, not the Congress, nor Senator Mcain,,,,ITS ABOUT THE WAY THAT THE MEASURE WOULD BE FUNDED STUPID!!,,,how many Non Smokers would like to drop $7.00 a week into a jar to help fund this measure?? Ill bet not a damed one would do it ! So put it on the backs of Loyal Americans who enjoy an old American Tradition of smoking ciggs who should pay for it?? Im Glad and Proud the President Vetoed the measure, untill they find a a more fair way to fund this legislation.

October 4, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  6. Pete, T.S. FL

You want more of "W" elect this fraud!

October 4, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  7. JC Topeka, KS

Gee, I can almost remember a time when I actually thought I respected John McCain. It must be age, there was a time when he was not a echo of Bush and actually had a real opinion of his own which for the most part was not that of Bush's. Senator, your down fall was when you decided to stop being John McCain and someone convinced you that if you wanted to President you had to be Bush, that was the worst advice you ever received and accepted.

October 4, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  8. Ryan Indianapolis

Hey Ryan, how come it's always the men that agree with this line of thinking? I am actually a very well educated liberal – like most of the others. It's usually the Bubba's or the deadbeat dads that agree with Bush's stand on this issue. He cannot win this argument. Not even Jesus is on his side with this one.

Posted By Me, Madison Wi : October 3, 2007 6:10 pm

Thank you for your arrogance, MR. WELL EDUCATED,,But you are still wrong and I dont live in the south and my name is not BuBBA, I really feel sorry for you ..Hope you start reading a little before you come to close minded conclusions.

October 4, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. bukky, Baltimore, MD

By Colony 14 author, Mount Prospect, Illinois

Sorry to bust your Bubble... but the constitution gives congress to spend money anyway they see fit. The constitution doesnt say congress has to build highways, help after earth quakes and hurricanes, fund fire departments, police etc, but TAKE A WILD GUESS WHO DOES ALL THAT.

October 4, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |