October 5th, 2007

Gay Republican group attacks Romney

A gay Republican group is questioning Romney's conservative credentials.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is facing fire from a gay Republican group, which announced Thursday it will launch a television ad in Iowa questioning the presidential hopeful’s social conservative credentials.

The 30-second ad from the Log Cabin Republicans is comprised of clips from a 1994 Senate debate, in which Romney said that abortion "should be safe and legal in this country." Romney was challenging Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, that year.

The ad's narrator goes on to state, "for year's he's fought conservatives and religions extremists."

In a statement announcing the ad, Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon said he wants members of his own party to know "the truth about Romney."

"As much as Gov. Romney wants to re-invent himself, his record speaks of itself," Sammon said. "The Mitt Romney of today is different from the Mitt Romney who was elected Massachusetts governor and ran for the U.S. Senate."

Kevin Madden, a Romney campaign spokesman, dismissed the criticism noting, "Gov. Romney supports a federal marriage amendment and so it makes sense that a national gay rights group would attack him."

"The advertisement misrepresents Governor Romney’s courage to admit that he had been wrong on this issue and the fact that he is proud of his strong record of defending the sanctity of life," Madden added.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. toni

Once upon a time the Republican party stood for fiscal conservancy and limited government. Those are the platform upon which "Log Cabin" Republicans stand. It is interesting that with a Republican President & Congress we have a massive national debt and a vested interest in limiting certain peoples freedoms. Interesting...So much for those good old fashioned Republican values. I don't think the article is particularly leftist it is just information. It is interesting that 13 years ago he had a totally different set of values. That really isn't that long ago. What was it that inspired this "change of heart" that is what I want to know.

October 5, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Gay Dem in Texas

As a gay man, I do find it odd that there are gay republicans. I also find it odd that there are black repbulicans. But...there are! Look at Condoleeza Rice.
    Anyway, my point is this. Although I primarily sway on the democrats side, I do agree with Republicans on certain issues. For one, Abortion. I do not believe abortion should be legal. Second, Illegal Immigration. I believe we should put them all on a bush and send them back to Mexico. (I'm in Texas so our problem is Mexicans) I'm sure other states have other illegals there. Regardless, it IS possible to be a gay republican, just like it's possible to be a rich white democrat (i.e. most celebrities)

October 5, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. RightyTighty

Yes Karen, in the context of my argument, "straight, family oriented, hard working Democrats" take ownership of "just plain stupid".
    Thank you for making that point clear..

But it was just a tongue in cheek argument, as being gay doesn't make you any less Republican than smoking or eating to much, all are sins.

If you want less government interference in your life and less tax taken out of your paycheck, you're a good candidate for a Republican too. Vote policy, not personality..

October 5, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Dave, Denton Texas

Based on my understanding, I'm not sure Mitt is really that different today than in the past.

For instance, he is personally opposed abortion but promised he would not repeal the abortion laws as they stood in Massachusetts (in order to maintain the will of the majority in that state – a key democratic principle). However, he did prevent other laws from being passed that would have expanded abortions in different ways.

The fact that a pro-homosexual group opposes him should attest to his family values and conservative stance.

Mitt is not a perfect candidate, but I believe he is the only republican who has a chance to win against Clinton.

Of course, only time will tell.

October 5, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. Lisa, San Diego, CA.

As a lesbian, these "Republicans" are shunned at parades and festivals. They are jeered by the overwhelming majority. They're out, but ashamed of it, unlike your Sen. Craig. And for Voter...we're here, we're queer, LIVE WITH IT!!!

October 5, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Deborah H. Arrington, Kingsport, Tennessee

Most people suspect that Cheney divested himself of Halliburton interests as "thoroughly" as Bill Frist divested himself of his financial interest in the huge medical enterprises the Frist family owns (isn't it HCA or something like that?). Before Frist left office, it was brought to the public's attention that he was still involved in decision making & I believe he was being investigated for insider trading or something like that when he left office?

October 5, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. David, Gilbert Arizona

Mitt Romney has flip flopped on more than just the gay marriage issue. I think most people are getting caught up on the fact that the log cabin republicans are gay and completely overlooking the point they are making, that Mitt is a flip flopper.

Mitt comes across like a used car salesman. I really feel like he'd say anything he thinks his audience wants to hear and do it with a smile on his face. I have to ask myself when Mitt speaks, is that how Mitt really feels or is he just pandering to his audience again?

Get past the fact that the log cabin republicans are gay. Any other group could have made this same ad. It doesn't matter who the group is. The point is the message of the ad, not who made the ad. Most of you can't see the forest for the trees.

Just one last point for Mr/Ms anonymous. It is very true that AIDS is not a modern day disease. It is not a new virus. It is very closely related to the virus that caused the Black Death in Europe. Decendants of people who survived the Black Death are immune to AIDS.

October 5, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Tom Soppe, Portland, OR

Tom in Dedham

Republicans proving to liberals a point about making assumptions. As a secular gay liberal (who refuses to be ashamed about this) I think that is very laughable.

Yes, we all know how Republicans are the most oppressed people of all because they sometimes have to listen to negative facts about Republicans and because they have to listen to those who disagree with them sometimes. At least that's what they seem to claim.

I know you Bush-defenders don't care about the rest of us, including all the children who will be affected by your beloved Saint W's veto (we need that money for the war after all!).

It's not true to say Cheney is not connected to Halliburton. Who knows if what you say about Clinton is true or not, but if he did do that it just shows he was too corporate and conservative like I've always said. (And how many of his no-bid contracts, if their were any, involved the kind of price-gouging that all of Bush's contractors exact on us taxpayers?)

We haven't had a true progressive/liberal in office forever, thanks to media-believing naive folks like you, and it's obviously what we need.

October 5, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Bill Wheeler Lakeland FL

A national gay rights group is against Romney? He may be worthy of my vote.

October 5, 2007 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. PR New York

Hey Bill Wheeler and all the other guys using hateful gay bashing language.

Just be careful you sound like you have the classic GOP CRAIG syndrome…is spreading

October 5, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. LR, Oakland, CA

Like he is one to talk about marriage with all his wives.

October 5, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Brad, Stockton, CA

Goodness! I thought there were NO gay Republicans. I'd better check with Larry Craig on this matter before I form my own opinion.

October 5, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Max Denver, CO

WOW – I'm shocked to see what CNN has decided to delete and what they've decided to keep on this ticker. Did FOX just purchase CNN?

From the anti-gay comments on this topic – my partner and I a pray you find grace and peace within yourselves. Our son and daughter certainly have – I guess they're being brought up right, huh?

October 5, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Jeremy, Columbus OH

Honest to God, some of the comments made against gay people on this post are unbelievable. Yes Republicans there are gay people in your party, the fiscal conservative ones, the ones who are true conservatives before the radical and facist religious right highjacked your party.

I honestly don't see why the Log Cabin Republican's numbers are not increasing considering the moral values crowd of the Republican Party is bargining for sex in the bathroom, Washington Intern Programs, or claiming morality being a televangelist while having fun on the side.

October 6, 2007 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |