October 6th, 2007

'08 White House hopefuls rated on 'God-o-Meter'

How does your favorite presidential candidate do on the "God-o-Meter?"

WASHINGTON (CNN) - What role does religion play in presidential politics? CNN’s Abbi Tatton reports on a web tool dubbed the “God-o-meter” that ranks candidates according to how often they discuss faith on the campaign trail.

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

1. Glen, Boston, MA

Evelyn, don't EVER call another person whom you do not understand ignorant.

You say I do not believe God is coming back.

The Second Coming of which you speak has already just begun, but it will be a long time before you recognize it because it will not come through one messiah, not through one faction of one religion, but throughout all of humanity.

The perceived physical limitations of humanity will be shattered. The belief – and it is a belief, Evelyn, no matter how much you want one interpretation of a book to hold all the truth – that Jesus ever demanded worship and servitude in order to gain access to "Heaven" will become an increasingly difficult position to defend. Miracles will abound from all walks of life. Prepare yourself by opening your mind beyond your own dogma.

All is One, Evelyn. All is God.

October 10, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Evelyn-you have severe mental disorder and your thought process is defective.If you lived in NY you'd be be locked up in an insane asylum until a religious group agreed to take you in and spare the state your upkeep. Please,for your own good stay where you live lest you lose your freedom. Compared to people like you EVERYONE is a god. So keep to your small world where you are safe and don't abuse your vote with your illness. Good luck. I hope you get to live out your life in ignorance as you wish.

October 10, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  3. Evelyn, WV

To Glen, Boston, MA: It really doesn't matter what I believe, but the truth is the truth. As far as defending the truth about how to enter Heaven, that is simple. The Bible says you can only enter Heaven by being saved through God's son, Jesus Christ. Clearly it states in John 3:5 "Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the spirit" and in John 3:7 "You should not be surprised at my saying 'You must be born again'". So again, you must be saved in order to enter Heaven. Also, you are totally right. God does not force anyone to worship or serve him. That is why he created everyone with a free will. The choice is left up to us but our choice also determines whether or not we will enter Heaven.

October 10, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  4. Glen, Boston, MA

Evelyn,

You're not doing much to refute stereotypes of West Virginia. Obviously, you have not been exposed to much thinking beyond your own small, isolated town. You can't say "the truth is the truth" and then submit as your evidence quotes from the Bible. That's not evidence. It's a belief you have that what's been written in the Bible is still true.

First of all, the books chosen to be included in the Bible centuries after Jesus lived were hand selected by church leaders to convey a specific message of adherence the dogma of fear and control that the leaders of that time desired (and still desire today). The decision to exclude Christ's teachings in favor of reincarnation, for example, were excluded because church leaders felt that if people knew that had more than one life to evolve their consciousness, they would not be so compelled to join and financially support the church.

The subsequent translations and reinterpretations over the many centuries have made what wisdom there once was in the Bible irrelevant. For example, in the original text, "virgin" simply meant young. It had nothing to do with lacking sexual experience. When that was translated into English, they used the word virgin. That one word alters the entire fundamental mythology of Christianity as a virgin birth.

I could go on, but you get the picture. The Bible has been used as a tool of control by powerful leaders throughout history. It is still used today. The sooner we move beyond any belief that the message of God exists in any one book, the sooner we will understand Christ's true teachings.

This is all going right over your head, I know. But perhaps someday, either in this life or the next, you will begin to think for yourself and break from the cult of fundamentalism. Then you will find God and Jesus you believe you have found in a book.

I do wish you well in your journey, but you are not open to conversation on this topic. So, neither shall I be any further..

October 11, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Evelyn, WV

I believed I've learned a valuable lesson from ED and GLEN that you can't argue with ignorance. Trying to say that the word of God is not true is like saying nothing ever written in any book is true. The bottom line is that God doesn't make anyone worship or obey him. That is why we were given free will. However, the choices we make determine whether or not we will go to Heaven to be with God one day. I'm not judging because God will do that on judgement day but based on my assumptions, I believe these two along with a lot of other people, including some of my friends, will go to hell based on their choices and not being saved by Jesus Christ. I know that I'm going to Heaven to be with God but I wish you all a good trip whereever you may go. GOODBYE

October 12, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Evelyn, WV

To all of the ignorance on here, I'm tired of it all. I can only tell people about God but I can't make them believe it just like the saying "You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink". None of the stuff Glen last posted was even true. As to your assumptions that I'm wrong about God, even if I was wrong, it wouldn't matter then but if I'm right and I did the opposite, then I would be going to hell regardless.

October 13, 2007 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  7. Glen, Boston, MA

Oh Evelyn. I was going to leave it alone. But you had to go and call me a liar.

The Bible's support of slavery:

"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money."
    ..........Exodus 21:20

"Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as to Christ...."
    ..........Ephesians 6:5

"And that servant who knew his master's will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating."
    ..........Luke 12:47

The Bible's directive to murder boys, kidnap virgins, and rape them:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."
    ..........Numbers 31:17 (Moses)

The Bible's support of pedophilia:
    "If a man has sex with a slave girl he is not to be punished. She is a slave."
    ....Levitcus 19:20

The Bible's directive that women must not speak in church:

"As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church."
    ..........1 Corinthians 14:34

"Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."
    ..........Timothy 2:11

Women as property and sexual servants for men to whom they are not married:

"For the wife does not rule over her own body, but the husband does..."
    ..........1 Corinthians 7:4

"...I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the light of this sun."
    ..........2 Samuel 12:11

The Bible on The Prince of Peace's efforts to break families apart with fighting:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother- in-law...."
    ..........Matthew 10:34

or, if you don't believe Matty, try Luke:

"Do you think I have to come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother- in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in- law."
    ..........Luke 12:51

"And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one."
    ..........Luke 22:36

Evelyn, I could go on and on but you get the picture. There are very good reasons why people don't believe your "truth". It is riddled with hypocrisy and absurdity. Christ is real, though, and more incredible than anything we have yet imagined – without judgment and existing only in pure love.

God bless you Evelyn.

October 14, 2007 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  8. Evelyn, WV

To Glen : You totally twist and deceive everything written in the bible. And for you not to believe it and not to believe God, why do you even try to quote the bible? Non-believers don't read the bible or have anything to do with it. I'm not a pastor or God therefore I can't explain every verse the way it should be taken in context but here are some examples. Regardless, read below:

Ephesians 6:5 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ."
    That means simply to obey your elders and people who are in authority over you such as the government, police, etc. You should obey them just like you should Christ, which obviously you don't do so why even quote this?

1 Corinthians 7:4 "The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife."
    This simply means, for those who understand God's will for us, is that when you become married you become ONE IN CHRIST, therefore the woman belongs to the man and the man to the woman. That also goes back to Genesis 2:24 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become ONE flesh".

As far as the peace, Jesus doesn't make everything easy for us. If that were case, we'd all want everything handed to us and that's not why Jesus died for us. Although things are tough for us, Jesus does not put anything on us that we can not handle.

Again, as far as me being right or wrong about God. If I'm right, then I know I'm going to Heaven instead of hell. If I'm wrong, at least I did what was right instead of not caring and automatically going to hell. You can lead a horse (people) to the water (bible or God) but you can't make them drink (listen or believe).

October 14, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Evelyn, WV

Also to Glen: To add to your saying about people not believing God and the bible because of hypocrisy. Well, there are hypocrates whereever you go, even in churches. But that's why Jesus gave each and everyone of us FAITH for. To believe in him and God sent his only son Jesus Christ to die for us and our sins so that we might live eternally in Heaven and not perish in hell. So therefore, people must have faith in God. People have faith in everything else such as their vehicle not breaking down or a family member going through surgery without dieing or etc.

October 14, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Glen, Boston, MA

Evelyn,

All I did was present direct quotes. I do not see how I have twisted and deceived anything. Perhaps you are just being exposed to other interpretations of the Bible, after a lifetime of assuming the interpretation with which you have been indoctrinated must be the one and only correct interpretation.

I'm highly skeptical that you have actually read the Bible. And, even if you have, I am highly skeptical that you have read it from the perspective of the time in which it was written and in the idioms of that day. The literal interpretations touted by Evangelical Christianity are really less than 100 years old, projecting modern sentiments, selecting passages (such as ignoring the mandate to not eat shrimp or wear more than one type of fabric, but a couple passages away obsessing over the mandate that man should not lay with other men). The problem with the interpretations you present is that they are completely subjective and, I might add, very flimsy.

Also, you are confused why a "non-believer" (even though I regularly have conversations with the actual Jesus Christ) would be bothered with the Bible. In your simple black-and-white worldview, someone couldn't possibly study the Bible and walk away from it knowing it is not true. In your black-and-white worldview, there are believers and non-believers and it is your job to introduce the heathens to the savior. You don't realize how much more educated most "heathens" are than you are when it comes to the Bible and spirituality.

I would go so far as to suggest you have not even explored Native American spirituality, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, or any other spiritual path in which enlightenment has been achieved to be sure that yours is the only true way. No, I'm pretty sure that's what you were told and you can't imagine someone you respect as a leader might be ignorant too.

You probably thought the liars and criminals of this Bush administration that steal elections, murder innocent people, and live in a corrupt world of croniism came to do "God's" work as well.

Please do not respond. You say nothing different and I am convinced you have not read the Bible. You have only allowed yourself to be indoctrinated by the very flimsy interpretations of those who have. I will not be checking this page again and obviously you and I are the only ones who do – so please do NOT respond. You have made your point and I don't have time to keep proving you wrong.

October 15, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  11. Evelyn, WV

That's just the point: you can't prove me wrong. You should not judge me on whether or not you believe I have read the bible or not. As stated above, I have quoted some scriptures and what they mean but obviously you don't understand what they mean so you've twisted those scriptures around. Also, I'm through with this because it is a lose situation with your ignornance. There are plenty other people in the world who need and want to hear God's word before they die that will actually listen and become a saved born again child of god and go to Heaven.

I wish you luck on your journey whether to heaven or hell. God Bless!

October 15, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Glen, Boston, MA

Okay – I couldn't resist.

One is not ignorant simply because he or she disagrees with you. That would mean Mark Twain, Thomas Jefferson, Leonardo Da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Nicola Tesla, Carl Sagan, Mohattma Ghandi, and many other brilliant people who changed the world were "ignorant". Obviously, they were not, Evelyn. There are many paths to the same wisdom. I wish you well on yours.

October 16, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Evelyn, WV

GOD VS. SCIENCE

A science professor begins his school year with a lecture to the students, "Let me explain the problem science has with religion." The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.

"You're a Christian, aren't you, son?"

"Yes sir," the student says.

"So you believe in God?"

"Absolutely."

"Is God good?"

"Sure! God's good."

"Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?"

"Yes."

"Are you good or evil?"

"The Bible says I'm evil."

The professor grins knowingly. "Aha! The Bible!" He considers for a moment. "Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?"

"Yes sir, I would."

"So you're good...!"

"I wouldn't say that."

"But why not say that? You'd help a sick and ed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't."

The student does not answer, so the professor continues. "He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?"

The student remains silent.

"No, you can't, can you?" the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.

"Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?"

"Er...yes," the student says.

"Is Satan good?"

The student doesn't hesitate on this one. "No."

"Then where does Satan come from?"

The student falters. "From God"

"That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?"

"Yes, sir."

"Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?"

"Yes."

"So who created evil?" The professor continued, "If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil."

Again, the student has no answer. "Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?"

The student squirms on his feet. "Yes."

"So who created them?"

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question. "Who created them?" There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized. "Tell me," he continues onto another student. "Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?"

The student's voice betrays him and . "Yes, professor, I do."

The old man stops pacing. "Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?"

"No sir. I've never seen Him."

"Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?"

"No, sir, I have not."

"Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?"

"No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't."

"Yet you still believe in him?"

"Yes."

"According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?"

"Nothing," the student replies. "I only have my faith."

"Yes, faith," the professor repeats. "And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith."

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of His own. "Professor, is there such thing as heat?"

"Yes," the professor replies. "There's heat."

"And is there such a thing as cold?"

"Yes, son, there's cold too."

"No sir, there isn't."

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. "You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees."

"Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it."

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.

"What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?"

"Yes," the professor replies without hesitation. "What is night if it isn't darkness?"

"You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word."

"In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?"

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. "So what point are you making, young man?"

"Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed."

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. "Flawed? Can you explain how?"

"You are working on the premise of duality," the student explains. "You argue that there is life and then there's ; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought."

"It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that cannot exist as a substantive thing. is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it."

"Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?"

"If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do."

"Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?"

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.

"Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?"

The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided.

"To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean."

The student looks around the room. "Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?" The class breaks out into laughter.

"Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir."

"So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?"

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.

Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. "I guess you'll have to take them on faith."

"Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life," the student continues. "Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?"

Now uncertain, the professor responds, "Of course, there is. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.