October 8th, 2007

Liberal groups target Republicans over kids heathcare veto

Democratic members of Congress applaud shortly after signing legislation for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) legislation

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As House members are at home for the Columbus Day weekend, a coalition of labor and advocacy groups, including the AFL-CIO and MoveOn.org, is stepping up the battle over the federal children's health-care program, known as SCHIP. The coalition rolled out a nearly $1 million television ad campaign and is targeting about 20 Republicans to vote to override the president's veto of the bill.

The national ad, sponsored by Americans United for Change, an umbrella group of liberal organizations, is running on cable networks. It includes images of a baby and other children with an announcer saying "George Bush just vetoed Abby." The coalition also promises to rally activists in districts of another 20 House Republicans over the next two weeks.

This push by Democratic groups comes on top of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's efforts to zero in on eight House Republicans who opposed the bill. The campaign arm started running radio ads and funding automated calls to voters last week in districts it considers competitive for Democratic challengers.

Full story

– CNN Congressional Producer Dierdre Walsh

Filed under: SCHIP
  1. Max, Austin, TX

There's an elephant in the room...it's in the form of:

-Cell phones for everyone in the family
    -Car payments beyond what the family can afford
    -Too much house
    -$100+ monthly Cable TV bill

"Healthcare is unaffordable!"

Yes, only because "Middle Class" families put it on the lower end of the importance spectrum, far behind the "essentials" listed above. Keep using the kids as props to disguise a lack of financial discipline.

October 8, 2007 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Daniel, Atlanta GA

Did one of you waterheads just say that the Bush economy is BOOMING? You might want to read up on how pathetically weak the US dollar is right now, and what a grave and long-lasting effect this is going to have on EVERY American ('cept the billionaires, I suppose.)

October 8, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Al Sturgeon Chesapeake, VA

Why should my tax dollars go to fund medical benefits for children whose parents make 80k a year? I don't have a problem with providing assistance for those at or below the poverty level but enough is enough. I certainly understand the high cost of health care as I pay almost 900.00 a month to provide coverage for my family. All this is really about is the democrats attempting to make themselves look good in the eyes of the general public. As a small business owner I pray the tax happy democrats don't take control of the Whitehouse as I can ill afford to pay more taxes to fund all the liberal programs they are sure to put in place.

October 8, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

With the majority of Americans in support of this SCHIP BILL, I just pray that the Democratic leadership not buckle and capitulate to a weaken and defeated Bush.
    However if past track record is any indicator, one can predict that they will fold like a cheep card table.
    DAMN-IT DEMOCRATS , SHOW SOME INTESTINAL FORTITUDE.

October 8, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. JB

Ben from Kentucky,

We all know that 60k is well to do in Kentucky, but try raising a family of 4 on that on the West and East coastsl.

October 8, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. RADA, Houston TX

We can send our children to die in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN and we want them to be healthy to fight these wars and we are willing to even pass these children the trillion in deficits GEORGE BUSH HAS RAN and then we oppose abortion because we need them to fight the wars but we do not have the heart to pay for their insurance. WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY IS THIS?

SICK, SICK, SICK
    THE REPUBLICAN PARTY FOR YOU!!!
    IT does not make sense

October 8, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Ryan Indianapolis

What a bunch of Crooks exploiting kids for a bill they are plain lying about. I would expect nothing less from Nancy Pelosi and Dirty Reid,,,both horrible leaders and traitors to this country.

October 8, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. john, phoenix, az

no nationalized health care. it is bad, bad, bad. something that sound like utopia on the surface is rotten to its core. plus I pay for my family's healthcare, i don't want to pay for anyone else's. If people learn to prioritize and not get the gucci bags, escalades they can't afford and so forth, they'd have money left for something important like, hmmm, HEALTHCARE! Unfortunately that's an afterthought.

October 8, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  9. Henry Tucker, Ga

Posted By Daniel, Atlanta GA : October 8, 2007 4:51 pm

Gee Daniel, are you an Econ major? Just wondering how you reached your conclusions that a weak dollar (against foreign markets) means bad things for the US?

Considering stronger currencies provide tourism here in the states, greater exports versus imports (our goods are cheaper to buy), etc. HOW exactly does a weak dollar abroad hurt America? (Actually the "billionaires" get hurt since they're more likely to travel/live abroad – costing them more for their bottle of french wine).

October 8, 2007 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. HAWK, TEXAS

REPUBLICANS ARE VERY SICK PEOPLE.

October 8, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  11. Alec, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

To Ken in Kentucky,

Maybe 60k a year in your state is good but in South Florida, 60k puts you in the poor house!

October 8, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  12. Jack, Tempe AZ

We should be ashamed to have stooped to this level. To use children to further political goals of universal healthcare is so sad. They knew full well this would never pass and did it anyway. Parents should be responsible for taking care of their children, not the government. For those who can't there are state programs.

I am so sick and tired of scorecard politics. I wish we could wipe the slate clean and elect all new representatives. And before anyone comes yelling that I am some Right Wing Waco, hold it. . . I am a Democrat thru and thru and this is where I draw the line. I do not want a United States of Socialism.

October 8, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  13. Alec, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

To all of you who keep talking about your tax dollars going to pay for insurance for children of families at 80k a year: Get a grip! Just because 80k is alot of money where youlive doesn't mean it is where I live, because it isn't!

To all of you who blow smoke abour financial discipline: Who the heck do you think you are, you are just assuming that these families are putting health insurance at the low end of their priorities.....It is simply because we can't afford it no matter what we do and how much money we make.

And its not YOUR tax dollars, it's coming from cigarettes.....

October 8, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Matt, Albany, GA

I HAVE THE SOLUTION! Give everyone health care. After a couple of years we'll be so sick and tired of it we'll repeal it and let our children pick up the tab.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

October 8, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. Tim , Seattle

It's time to try something different? Great. Just so you know what you are voting for – many countries in Europe provide the same socialist-style programs. The current economic status in Europe:

$12 per gallon for gasoline
    9% unemployment
    40-50% tax rate

Yeah…THAT sounds like a great solution, Tim (insert sarcasm).

---

Ah, but you dodged the question again! And you also keep cut and pasting the same post.
    Dont care about $12 a gallon gas (that would be per litre, btw)in Europe. Stay on topic, Hank!
    So if you say lower taxes and a good economy are what will get the uninsured to afford health insurance, then you are acknowledging there is a problem and are also stating a solution.
    The conditions you prescribe as a solution have actually have not made a dent in the problem. So, if your solution doesn't work then what do we try next?

October 8, 2007 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  16. Don Loveland, CO

I believe that those opposing any health care provisions have been fortunate enough not to have to pay the riduculous bills from such a visit.

My wife recently spent less that 24 hours in the hospital for chest pain. The total cost of that stay was $24K and with our great health policy that covers 60% we are responsable for almost 10K. This to be told it "might" be low potassium.

Now you tell me that health care costs are not out of line and about to bankrupt the middle class. If you are fortunate enough not to have been to the hospital recently count your blessings.

Yes, health care is an issue and will be in the next election.

October 8, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. Laura Niles Michigan

In the first place, I think the SCHIP veto is simply a distraction to keep people from talking about the "North American Union".
    But on the subject, I don't think these politicians whose incomes are 9794 percent above the poverty line and are receiving tax payer funded health care themselves should be whining about someone 300 percent over the poverty line, adult or not, POSSIBLY getting help with health care.
    Let them give up theirs before they take away or deny someone elses.

October 8, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Bull of Mizzou

The Veto was because of UNFAIR funding, and comes from a Tax and Spend Ideology. Im all for tending to our children as the President is as well,,,,,,But its about Unfair funding,,,,,,Liberals need to come up with a FAIR way to abstract the funds to pay for the Actions of this bill.,,,,People who enjoy the old American Tradition of Smoking Cigars, Ciggs, and Pipes are the ones who were targeted to pay for this Funding,to the tune of a 136% increase in price of a carton of Ciggs,,,UNFAIR !,,,How many NONsmokers would volunteer or like to be forced to pay for this Bill?,,,say, kick down 10 bucks a week taken out of their checks?,,,,Ill bet not a dam one would do it !,,,Then watch how loud they would scream bloody murder to get the bill REPEALED,,,,,and back up the President's signature.

October 8, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  19. bprossers ME

These Democrats care nothing for children. Their only purpose is to score off Republicans. America sees that. Look at the picture with this article. These people look like children at a party playing games. Time for a new house and congress, these people are has-beens.

October 8, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  20. Leelee, Rochester NY

"Do you believe $83,000 is the right income requirements? Higher or lower and why? Do you think the age limit of 25 is right? Higher or lower and why?"

Thank you for asking. I'd like to see a government subsidized health care plan, with sliding-scale premiums, available for anyone who wants it. Why? Because I'm not satisfied with the results I'm getting as a consumer of health insurance plans, and I want another choice. My government has more bargaining power than I do as an individual. My government works for me, and I've decided that I would like it to earn its pay by using its power as a market participant at the negotiating table to get me a better price on my medications and my care coverage. Private plans do it all the time, but their efforts don't translate to lower costs for me because of the intervening shareholder interests. I want those savings passed on to me, not turned into dividends. Some call it a welfare state; I call it expecting a greater return out of the money I'm asked to invest in my government.
    As for those who think their private coverage serves them just fine, they should be able to keep it–just like they should be able purchase private educational services for their children while helping fund the public schools.

As for the issue of illegal immigrant health care, the reason we have so many illegal immigrants is that we make immigration so illegal, so I really don't feel as sorry for us as most people do. So...we have 12 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., and we aren't going to be able to deport 12 million people without creating serious economic and social disruption. Honestly, we aren't realistically going to be able to deport 12 million people, period. I'd rather my taxes went towards routine doctor's office care for those 12 million illegal immigrants than towards the far more expensive and disruptive emergency room care my taxes are paying for right now. I already pay for health care for undocumented immigrants, and I want it done more efficiently. Of course, I don't buy the "they don't pay taxes" and "they're a drain on our economy" pitches, so I'm not entirely convinced that we'd even lose economic productivity by providing illegal immigrants with health care.

I'm sure I'll now be attacked as a lazy pinko pseudointellectual, but while you're all calling me names, please remember that I did answer the questions in good faith.

October 9, 2007 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  21. Sam, IA

Now Folks. Remain calm. The Administration has provided talking points to the hate jocks, FOX, and their hired bloggers so there is no reason to believe that the veto will be overridden. Of couse many of these60 k incomes are derived from the phenomena of two parents working two jobs or 60 to 70 hours a week of low wage jobs but to a good republican that is the cats meow. Keep the koolaid flowin RNC.

October 9, 2007 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  22. Chris, Toledo, OH

When the government exploits CHILDREN like this, the looming specter of communism is already upon us.

October 9, 2007 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  23. bostonteaparty

If you like this, just wait until Harry and Nancy roll out their increased tea tax.

Say you want a revolution?

October 9, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Ben from Kentucky,

Posted By JB : October 8, 2007 5:36 pm

What political group has a cabal of support on the East and West coasts?

What group would never get elected if it wasn't for these 2 coasts.

I live on the east coast and my state is run by the Democrats (even when we had Republican Governors, they vetoed anything that made sense) and NOBODY can afford to live here anymore.

People come here to get their education and FLEE just as soon as they are done, hopefully with their wallets still intact.

October 9, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. Mark. Shreveport, LA

If a $60k/year income puts you in the poor house, you must be CHOOSING to live in a high rent district.

Move to South Dakota, Louisiana, Oklahoma or many other states where $60k is a comfortable living.

October 9, 2007 11:05 am at 11:05 am |