October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Sean, Corona Del Mar CA

He just wants to get elected and knows that the Christian vote can really help him out as far as that is concerned. Doubtless a man with his voting record and espoused ethos is in tune with God. We know the tree by its fruit (Luke 6:44).

Also:
    Isaiah 5:20
    Jeremiah 14:10-16; 23:10-32
    Matthew 24: 4-14, 24-25; 16:1-4
    1 Thessalonians 5:21
    1 Timothy 4:1

October 8, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  2. E. O'Neal Birmingham,AL

Why is it OK for Democrats to CAMPAIGN in church? If a Republican ever tried this, the media would denounce him for weeks, and the church would lose its tax exemption. Is there any rationale I'm missing for this double standard?

October 8, 2007 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  3. PAMMY, NEW YORK

Fellow Republicans,let not your heart(s) be troubled, Barak is not going to be President... his wife's mouth has already ruined that for him. Fellow Democrates, wake up! You front running candidates are all over the board and without focus the country is not going to feel comfortable voting for either "him"or "her." SO IT'S A GOOD DAY.

October 8, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  4. Teresa, Albany NY

People doing the work of God are not for dismembering and killing babies in the womb or FOR LEAVING BABIES THAT SURVIVE AN ABORTION ALONE TO DIE AS YOU ADVOCATE, MR. OBAMA.

The democrat party is riding on it's DONKEY proclaiming THE PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE, not from Christ but from killing your fellow man through unethical CLONING AND EMBRYONIC
    STEM CELL EXPERIMENTATION!
    These folks are offering A FALSE KINGDOM. ONE OF DEATH.

October 8, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. Paul the Apostle

Thanks for showing your ignorance. He has NOT one Christian Value. If he is a 'christian' in name and not by values, then repectfully don't call me a christian.

Barack is trying to use us, HELLO HE SUPPORTS KILLING BABIES(UNBORN) LIKE ALL DEMOCRATS OR MAYBE I SHOULD WRITE DHIMMICRATS (IF HE GETS ELECTED).

October 8, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  6. Libslose

I knew the antichrist would be a liberal liar. I hope he comes soon to wipe 'out all the libs!

October 8, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  7. I.M. Thoughtful, Phx, AZ

Oh, good Lord, when are we going to get away from these pointless arguments that really don't belong in our political discourse? The right has about 400 years of growing up to do before they will begin to have even a clue of how derelict their platform and ideologies are. And are they ever going to feel silly when they finally wise up!

October 8, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  8. Roy

I agree with Ray, Baghdad, Iraq: October 7, 2007 10:47 pm.
    and
    Deb Ferrell-Lynn: October 7, 2007 10:58 pm

Barack Obama serves Two Masters and is NOT a Christian; not a true follower of Christ Jesus teachings!!!

Obama follows his Churches Traditions, and their reprobate Homosexual agenda, that denigrates the Holy Word of GOD.

Clergical absolutions, consecrations, and full inclusion of active gay and lesbian people, and un-repentant sinners, into the church does not a "Christian", a Priest, a Bishop, or a Saint make.

There certainly are ‘outcasts’ attending churches today, who “serve the creature more than the Creator," hoping to enter into God’s Kingdom via the broad path, which leads to destruction and spiritual death of the soul in hell; Matthew 10:28.

God told Moses in Leviticus 20:13, “If a man lieth with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. And will go to HELL.

The Apostle Paul affirmed that God’s wrath stands against homosexual behavior, whether practiced by men or women (Rom. 1:26–27) & (1 Cor. 6:9), because they are "filled with all unrighteousness, and un-natural affections.” Therefore GOD has given them over to a reprobate mind.

Clergy purposely forget to mentioned the Apostle John’s admonition that, “If we say that we have fellowship with Christ, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:” “He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”

The Apostle Peter stated in 2 Peter 2:1, “False teachers (clergy) will sneak in and speak harmful lies to you. But these teachers don’t really belong to the Master. Many people will follow their evil ways and cause others to tell lies about the ‘true way’ with smooth talk.”

Obama is betwixted and between a Muslim and a false Christian; serving two masters and must never become President or Vice Presdient of the United States of America.
    His Islam is too Strong!

October 8, 2007 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  9. dogyl Yorba Linda, CA

Christians who are evanglicals read or hear, "I don't talk about it all the time, but when I'm in church I talk about it." or how note he references, the "Kingdom" and understand what is going on behind the rhetoric.

October 8, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  10. Bill, San Francisco CA

This may have been mentioned, but has anyone noticed , "I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.", is eerily similar to the phrase uttered by Moses Hess in his Communist Confession of Faith?
    Hess meant that while Christians imagine a utopian afterlife, "We, on the other hand, will have this heaven on earth."
    Instead of this 'heaven on earth', we got Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot – and a body count of millions in the name of socialism since 1917.

Is Obama quoting an old socialist credo? Someone ask the man....

October 8, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  11. Anonymous

Glory for I have seen the coming of the lord..oh that's just Obama...

October 8, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  12. John

To: "Posted By walters, A : October 7, 2007 10:53 pm"

Get it right if you use scripture, "Where two or more are gathered," does not concern the presence of the Lord or Christ at an assembly or church. It has to do with rebuking a brother in Christ who has fallen in sin. The two are coming to correct the brother and restore him. It has nothing to do with worship or political messages.

Go read it in context before quoting it and showing your ignorance.

October 8, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  13. John WPB< Fl

So I wonder who is going to Ordain Osama Bin Laden Obama as King?

I wonder if if we are going to call his family members Prince, and Princess? Who will be Archduke? The Dukes and Duchess. Will his Kingdom be like King Louis XIV?

More importantly, who will be the Court Jester?

October 8, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  14. Anonymous

The polls are wrong. This man Barack Obama will be the next President. I have never been as inspired by a politician in my life. When he speaks, I believe it.

October 8, 2007 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  15. Kevin

Rob, if you are a "Christian" why do you wish other Christians who disagree with you to hell?

I certainly don't agree with YOU, but I don't wish you to hell, or anyone else!

October 8, 2007 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  16. Lynn, Eugene, OR

I'm sorry folks but we know them by their fruits and anyone who agrees with killing unborn babies and thinks homeosexuality is a God approved lifestyle will have to answer to God!!
    Obama hasn't read Romans 1 lately has he? And by the way folks this doesn't mean I hate the people that condone these things. It is just apparent that God has told us it is wrong!!!

October 8, 2007 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  17. Coasty

To: Lynn, Eugene, OR : October 8, 2007 12:38 am

Well said. We on the "Christian Right" don't hate others, those of us who do are wrong, but we do stand firmly in our values. I believe racism as one writer vehemitely pointed out is wrong. But I cannot vote for anyone who does not hold the same values as me.

October 8, 2007 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  18. Harry, Las Vegas, NV

Would Obama state exactly how he addresses God: as a former Roman Catholic or former Muslim or a current Evangelical?

October 8, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  19. Steve, Rockledge, PA

Rob said:

"Any time you see a post call someone a n—– we know who we are dealing with. For CNN to promote this it shows thier true colors too!"

I agree with your 1st sentence... but the 2nd sentence... I would rather CNN show it then not show it... the only way to get a true scope of all the responses... is to see all the responses... unfortunately, hatred exists...

October 8, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  20. Marshall Harrow

I pray that he and/or Hillary lose....

October 8, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  21. Edward

Lol, Rob I have not read any racist remarks in this blog yet, if you want a intelligent black man to be President you can vote for Allen Keyes who is far more qualified to run this country than Obama and more so than most other Republicans. But since you are a Keep blacks on the plantation / ghettos type Liberal I am not the least bit shocked by your lame remarks. Again your best choice for electing a democrat President is Bill Richardson not the Oprah wana bee Obama!

October 8, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  22. Roy

Kevin, I certainly don't hate anyone, condemn, or wish anyone to hell.

The Word of God plainly tells us, including you, who will enter into heaven, and who will go to Hell.

Those who go to Hell have condemned themselves, and it’s not hard to discern who is or isn't a true Christian. That’s discernment.

October 8, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  23. Joe K., Buffalo Grove, IL

There is no God. Now that we have that out of the way, I must say that I am disappointed with Barack's comments. He is just trying to win the South vote, but they're probably too dumb and racist anyways to vote for him, so I wish he hadn't even wasted his time speaking at that church.

Guess what, this country can be an awesome place WITHOUT religion. We need to focus more on the issues that are actually in this world, like health insurance, taxes, and the war. We shouldn't focus on whether a candidate believes that some hairy, smelly dead guy is going to come back from the grave and save the world. News flash...he's not. It's in our hands. Nobody else's.

October 8, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  24. Bryan, Kernersville, NC

Hey Rob, you said "Time to get used to and except it you racist pigs! WE ALL ARE GODS CHILDREN, Gay, Straight, black, white, Muslim, liberal, conservative, pro-choice, pro life et. Non of you racist scare us for we know GOD has the final say. He is the judge and jury and OH yes WE WILL ALL BE JUDGED! SOME OF YOU RACIST NUTS WILL GET A FIREY SURPRISE!"

JESUS (otherwise known as God), also said "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH ME" (John 14:6, NIV) That pretty much excludes many of those in your "holy-list", since most do not even believe Jesus was God! Please at least learn something about Christianity, before you start proclaiming your VAST knowledge of it.

October 8, 2007 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  25. James

To: walters, A : October 7, 2007 10:53 pm

I am sorry, he has the Talk, but he doesn't have the walk. No one can in good conscience as a christian vote for him based on his values. Look at his voting record, totally contrary to the bible.

October 8, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |