October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Timmie,.Dublin

Oh my God !!! what proportion of America is so evil, racist, and bigoted??? And all still in the name of God?? One would think CNN vets comments. Lord have mercy !!

October 8, 2007 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  2. Lewis Field

Notice that Obama, like so many of his neo-religious comrades, leaves out Christ or Christ's message. They worship humans, earth, animals, weather and other phenomena of creation. These people couldn't care less about the unrelenting, uncompromising Word or what Christ stood for. They're politicians, through and through. No one need become concerned about these charlatans that use God's word and ignore his meaning, his Grace, the gift of salvation. One only remember to render unto Caesar... just steer clear of Caesar as much as possible. When he bows to idols and false gods, pray that the nation will see through them, the Obama's, the Hillary's, the Algore's and other's whose dark, dead shadows darken the insides of decadent temples full of blind, selfish souls. God will make what will be to be, and they are nothing but part of his plan. This is a land where abortionists front stooges like the Clintons, and Marxist control freaks unfetter the likes of Obama upon us, the idiotic electorate. Pray Christians can survive the coming regimes and their hate for devout believers. A time of testing is coming as these people gain power and dupe the vast hordes of spiritualists, mystics, and necromancers in their “churches.” Great danger looms, so pray.

October 8, 2007 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  3. Ron Nebraska

Holy crap!!!! If this kind of intolerance, racism, and lack of intellectual understanding is a by-product of religious faith then I think religion should be banned as a danger to our country.

October 8, 2007 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  4. JANE RICHMOND, VA.

THIS IS ONE SCARY CANDIDATE. WHEN DID THEY START CAMPAIGNING IN CHURCH? SEEMS HE AND CLINTON SPEND SERIOUS TIME IN CHURCHES PREACHING ABOUT NEW KINGDOMS AND HOW THEY ARE GOING TO SAVE AMERICA.NEITHER OF THEM AS ANY POWER WHAT SO EVER TO DO MUCH OF EVERYTHING LET ALONE, A NEW KINGDOM.

October 8, 2007 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  5. Eric, Ventura CA

Hey pandering poseur! God is pro-life!

October 8, 2007 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  6. Lioness, Washington DC

Rob – go Obama:

Right on!

I must live a sheltered life because I have NEVER read such immoral diatribes by such a large number of fascist pigs.

Ok, you lower primates out there:

I think your Jesus WOULD be pro choice if he had seen some of the dross that birthing could produce. Reading thius thread might have understandably caused him to call for population control.

I suspect there is much pleby white trash amongst some of these posters out there that is jealous of Obama's success and intensely angry – perhaps because he has everything and they have nothing.

I sense that half of you don't even believe what you are saying. In fact, I'm sure of it.

You KNOW he is not Muslim, or an antichrist, or a terrorist. You know that full well. You just hope that others will read it and believe what you say.

You are just spewing venom because someone has dared to state the obvious: that conservatives do not own so-called moral religious values.

Finally someone comes along and says what everybody with a brain already knew. Why none of us democrats ever said that before is a mystery to me. We need Obama's common sense and political courage.

I know, the truth hurts....try not to cry.

October 8, 2007 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  7. pm, los angeles, calif

Someone should remind Obama that only God is Good.

October 8, 2007 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  8. Tom, Texas, USA

Isn't fundamentalist leftism the religion of Barack Hussein bin Laden Obama?

October 8, 2007 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  9. nooneyouknow, anytown, usa

Ugh.

The last time I checked, Jesus said that His kingdom is not on earth but in Heaven, and that for Christians this is not our home.

If you are not a Christian this does not pertain to you, so ignore it.

If you are, here's a question – Do you have any discernment?

Ugh.

October 8, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  10. techengineer Warner Robins, GA

It truly saddens me that so many so called Christians can be so easily misled. Pass the koolaid please; everyone enjoy. Serioulsy, how is it possible to be Christ-like and condone murder and homosexuality? I believe pastors need to be doing a little better job of teaching their congregations.

October 8, 2007 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  11. Roy

“The Unborn.”
    December 04, 2004

Abortionist’s have “the same effect on man’s reason as Medusa had on the flesh.” *1
    The abortionist’s ask, “why is man born?” They reply: “Man is born only to writhe in torment, and then to die as ignominiously as he has lived, and as darkly.” *2
    The abortionist’s “appeal to God, as he appeals to an Executioner. His days are short and never free from trouble or pain. His mouth is extinguished with dust, and he goes down into the grave, and yet the awful enigma (and stench) of his being remains.” *3
    The Abortifacient asks, “Who has returned from the grave with a message of comfort? What God has ever said, Arise, and I will lighten your burden and lead you to life?”
    They reply, “No, there has been no such God, nor will there ever be such a God. He is our Enemy.” *4
    These executioners are resolute in committing feticide, the killing of human embryos, and in committing infanticide, the killing of viable full term babies; “But since man cannot give life, it is not for him to give death. That must be reserved only for God, who moves in mysteries.” *5
    And yet these abortionist’s say they are “Sacrosanct”, (holy and blessed),
    in their pious amoral religiosity.
    King David in Psalm’s 139: 13-16 states: "For thou (GOD) hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, (essence of life), yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."

Paraphrases from:
    “Dear and Glorious Physician”
    By Taylor Caldwell
    * 1 pg. 136;
    * 2 pg. 115;
    * 3 & *4 pg. 136;
    * 5 pg. 137

October 8, 2007 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  12. Phyllis - Dallas, TX

I am a democrate and a christian. I accepted Christ when I was 14yrs old....now 45yrs old. I have never understood why the Dems have allowed the Reps to use the religous theme like they have for so many years.

Finally, someone comes out and sadly admits that they are both Christian and a Dem. The sky is not falling. I believe instead, God is looking down and wondering what has taken so long.

October 8, 2007 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  13. Becky k.

o.k. so he is supposedly touting the christian perspective ....but he chooses to ignore the part of Christianity which universially procalaims that Christ knew us in the womb before we were born. Come on Evangelicals, Catholics, Protestants how can you support someone who doesn't care about the rights of other humans in our midst! !!!!

October 8, 2007 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  14. Jim, L.A., CA

He talks about it more "in church." Wow, there's a faith for you. If he really had it in his heart I believe he'd mention it elsewhere but then, it's all about votes. He's got some charisma, Oprah likes him because he's a man of color on the Dem side, we don't know yet what he stands for. None of the dems say their timetable for getting out of Iraq but they press Bush for one. Politics in America is about sound bites, charisma, and money. If any of them gave a crap they'd have closed out borders. Obama's job now is to go around and speak to folks without specifics and without pissing off anybody. So far, so good. About the rest of the field on BOTH sides: that's the BEST we have to offer the world?

October 8, 2007 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  15. One who knows

"Your prophets have seen false and foolish things for you. And they have not laid open your iniquity, to provoke you to repentance. Yet they have seen for you false revelations and banishments�" (Lam. 2:14).

"Now the Spirit has clearly said that in the end times some persons will depart from the faith, paying attention to spirits of error and the doctrines of devils...." (1 Tim. 4:1)

October 8, 2007 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  16. Anonymous

o.k. CNN i'd be highly surpsied but happily surprised if you dared to reveal my last comment....as you are a highly liberal corpoartion and don't want to acknolwedge those of us who actually do hold dear christian values. Surprise me why don't you....

October 8, 2007 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  17. merlin4hair Fresno Ca

Good for Obama, as a GOP loyal, I'm surprised you think we Hate Homosexual people, such B.S. We want the best for all of God's People,, He is looking better everyday, and Billary,ahem.,... such Lip service. We pray for democracy, Period.

October 8, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  18. Rob

Rob, if you are a "Christian" why do you wish other Christians who disagree with you to hell?

I certainly don't agree with YOU, but I don't wish you to hell, or anyone else!

Posted By Kevin : October 8, 2007 12:37 am

Kevin, my intention is not to wish hell on anybody. I was hoping to remind the Christian folk who post racist comments here that God has the final say for everyone no matter thier walk in life. I think my anger comes from the racist rants of most on this blog. I pray God forgives me for my anger. I do hope everyone here makes it to heaven. For that I thank you for reminding me of my hypocrisy and I do apologies to those offended. BUT, I do stand by what I said about LOVE THY NEIGHBOR! Tolerance, understanding, forgiveness and love are the examples Jesus set for us. Even Jesus talked to sinners but he also said THOSE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE! We have all sinned and no sin is bigger than another! They all weigh the same in God's eyes! We do not have the capacity to equate ourselves to GOD and say who is good, what is good and what is right! The Bible teaches us that. WE ARE ALL TO HUMBLE OURSELVES BEFORE THE LORD! Tolerance, equality and love are things we have to work on all of our lives. Again I thank you for enlightening me to my own intolerance. I have a short wire for racism. I pray God will help me and all of us to see our faults.

Obama is trying to unify us. Perhaps if we work together instead of fighting like I so ignorantly suggested we can have a better world no mater our beliefs!

October 8, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  19. Eric Daly City, CA

Barack Hussien Obama, Muslim born, and now a convert to a very liberal Christian denomination that downplays the inner teachings of Christ, Abortion downplay is an example. He no longer will wear the American Flag Lapel pin. How much more do we wish to water down our country?

October 8, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  20. Christopher London, New York City, NY

Those of you who want to conden Senator Obama for his broadening the dialoque of hope throughout diverse communities do not recognize or appreciate how polarized this country has become under Republican rule. We are ALL Americans, rich and poor, the gifted and lesser gifted, the beautiful and the less attractive, those who work for minimum wage and those who run hedge funds, churchgoers and athiests, gay and straight, black, white, hispanic, christians, jews, muslims and people of all races, genders and belief systems. At the end of the day I curse those that divide American people against one another. The simple reality is that the vast majority of Americans in cities, suburbs to the countryside are just trying to make their way in this world, support their families, save some pennies for a rainy day. WASHINGTON DC POLITICAL SCAVENGERS AND PARIAHS have forgotten "We the People"....Obama's voice is resonating with all voters because like JFK he is speaking to what we can be again.

October 8, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  21. Sam Adams

Hussein Obama is a SOCIALIST. Just like the Hildabeast.

BTW, is the Kingdom he speaks of, is that God's Kingdom? Isn't that a tad blasphemous?

October 8, 2007 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  22. Sean - Florida

Obama talk = Christian'y sounding blather. What "God"? "Faith" in what, or who? Allah? Budda? the Mothership? he doesn't say.
    AND his statement:
    "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth." is pure blasphemy. Question: WHO would be KING of Obama's Kingdom? It certainly doesn't sound like Christ. Rather is sounds like another liberal idea of human created Utopia, you know, like the one they had in the Soviet Union. [makes the throat-slitting sign]. NO THANKS!!

October 8, 2007 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  23. Blood-Trail . . . . . Helena, MT

What a sheep in wolves clothing. This guy talks as if he is a follower of the Christian teachings which come from the bible, but we know he supports abortion, and supports gay marriage being allowed by the individual states. Is this the kind of "Kingdom" we would live in under his leadership? Bye, Bye Obama. We Don't Need You.

October 8, 2007 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  24. Nathan Eagle River, AK

There is no tolerance from any faith? Today's term of tolerance is merely a crafty attempt to stamp out the concept of absolute truth. Tolerating other people who are wrong, is much different than pretending your convictions are no different than anyone else's. If we are forced to tolerate by acknowledging that everyone else's personal views are equally valid, then there's no point in believing in ANYTHING! Obama has not stood up for the right of an unborn child, so he is wrong, and should not be trusted to safeguard the well-being of our country. Incidentally, it is wrong for a man who was a practicing Muslim for 25 years to be the leader of the US at a time like this.

October 8, 2007 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  25. Mr. Right

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables" (2 Tim. 4:3-4).

October 8, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |