October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Michael

What church was he at??????? NOT the one, TRUE Church, that is for sure. What a complete phony the anti-American dem libs are. Its ok to SLAUGHTER 4000 BABIES A DAY, and support gays as normal, and he and has the gall to speak of morals!!!!!!!!!! This is why I laugh when they cry about helping children. I guess if they cant SLAUGHTER them in the womb, they figure they might as well look like they care. The dems are fooling only other liberal morons, not normal people, not TRUE AMERICANS! They will NOT win.

October 8, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  2. Grant in Scranton

can I get an amen?

please visit...

October 8, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. jwright

he truly isnt be clear about his faith,a little islam ubbringing they never forget it"bunch of nonsense'I wont use my pencil to mark your box for president,heck no!

October 8, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. Doug David, Fullerton Ca

I do believe cried the rich young King
    That you believe most anything
    But sire cried the servant fair
    Can you not feel it in the air?

I know not this feeling that rides the wind
    But sire tis always bin
    Silence peasant tis riddles ye speak
    Ah than sire for you I shall weep

GUARDS! GUARDS! cried the king in rage
    Remove this peasant from my royal stage
    Lest ye peasant would change thy mind
    Speak for I shall give you but one last time

Many have offered this same advice
    Some have conceived I would accept a price
    But your earthly wares are but earthly dues
    And your kingly rules are but kingly views

Now I shall speak and you shall listen
    There will come a day when all will glisten
    And when that day come my words will ring clear
    But a trifle late for your saddened ear

Lest ye king would change thy mind
    TO THE GALLOWS PEASANT I’VE NOT THE TIME

Then I shall go and I shall die
    But I shall never leave your eye
    For surely as we speak in rhyme
    You surely do not have the time

Author
    D.David

October 8, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. TheOne, Hiddenplace, NM

quote: "I am confident that we can create a Kingdom (of God??) right here on Earth"

When throughout history has a single man, a people or mankind ascended so high to claim such a role for themselves??

October 8, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. joe chicago il

lololololololololololol
    A left wing nut job talking about religion, morals and values. The, “say anything, do anything for power regardless of consequences” democrat party never ceases to amaze me. Even more amazing are the lost souls who buy into this crap.

October 8, 2007 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  7. Leon, Dale City, VA

How come Democrats can give political speeches in church and nothing is done about it but let another political party do it and the Democrats would raise holy hell about it. DON”T do as I do but do as I say. More double standards from the left.

October 8, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. Mr.Cin Fort Worth, TX

He shall establish a Kingdom here on earth. The only law shall be God's Law. How does Michelle look in a burka?

October 8, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. Dan, Bismarck

What a bunch of crap! It scares me that so many people are falling for this blatant pandering. (Not to mention borderline blaspheny.) And it bears repeating, what would the media and these left-wing bloggers be saying if a Republican, or George Bush said such things?
    And finally, Phyllis from Dallas says,
    "I have never understood why the Dems have allowed the Reps to use the religous theme like they have for so many years."
    That's easy: Socialism eshews religion, "the opiate of the masses." You can't condone immorality, ie. abortion on demand, homosexual marriage, and espouse the non-judgemental philosophy of life that Secular-Progressives do, and still obey the Laws of God.

October 8, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. Christopher Hodachok, Washington, DC

This is exactly what Democrats have failed to capitalize on in the recent past; the strong spiritual and political culture of a major constituency of the Democratic Party and a natural ally to progressive liberal values. The precedent of the 1960's is not in the pot-smoking sexual adventures of privileged whites; it instead lies in the enlightenment values of equality, health and liberty before the law. "Values" and the nurturing of a society that hopes of a more humane ethics.

October 8, 2007 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. p8riot

Obama is the anti-christ

October 8, 2007 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Steve, CT

Two things.

1 – The fact that there are so many that are willing to swallow this guys Kool-Aid on demand just shows how far gone we are as a country.

2 – The fact that so many left wingers are supporting Obama's religious "kingdom" nonsense just shows that lefties don't really mean it when they talk about the separation of church and state. What lefties really mean is the separation of those that disagree with them.

October 8, 2007 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Jerry Giddens,Sylacauga,Alabama

Obama doesn't really have any type of faith. He as learned the art of knowing what people want to hear him say.
    We have not learned yet what his real agenda is.

October 8, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. matt, winnebago, nebraska

The Democrat Part does not 'cede' values and faith? Interesting choice of words. Apparently Mr. Obama thinks the dems already hold the ownership to those things. What ever happened to the 'separation of Church and State' the dems complain about every time a Republican mutters anything about religion?? Does Barack want a theocracy?

October 8, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. Danny Sayer, Bossier City, La

This comments says it all! If the atheists approve of Obama what does that tell the Christians? Wise up people!

Bravo Obama – don't let those right wing fascists claim that they are the only ones who own the "moral" truth.

I'm an atheist, but I get your message: it is one of unity, and you have my vote!

First Dem to really call on the GOP to stop hijacking the "values" discussion. That's a MAN for you! No wimp is he.

Posted By Lioness, Washington DC : October 7, 2007 8:13 pm

October 8, 2007 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. KD, Dallas, TX

After reading many of these comments it's no surprise why our country is heading the direction that we are. People truly believe that a political definition defines whether or not one is Christian. I consider myself a religious Christian and cannot understand how Republicans are deemed more religious by the people on here. To me a Christian looks out for his fellow man, he contributes to the church donating 10% or more of his salary, he has compassion and nonjudgment towards others knowing that people are judged by God in the end. The evangelical Christians that support one party over another have their ideology completely confused. They judge gays, hate Democrats, won't give to others in need as that would be too socialist, and they pretend to be holier than thou supporting Bush's war agenda. Am I summing this up pretty close or is this too stereotyped? These Republican evangelical people voted Bush in for a second term because he presumably supported an amendment making it illegal to have gays marry never once looking at the big picture. Look at what your support for a candidate due solely to his "gay stance" political agenda has done to our country. Do evangelicals only follow the old testament, the eye for an eye mentality? That sounds much more like the terrorist vision than those who follow Jesus teachings that I was brought up to believe in. Let's let go of our political assumptions and listen for a change. We should not be the supreme empire in the world making rash judgments about other countries with the hidden agenda of controlling their natural resources.

Religious fanatics judging Democrats solely on abortion rights consistently support this war agenda. Who is it killing???? Innocent children and others who had no desire to get in it's way. NO...many of these innocent people did not cast the first stone as is often professed by the fanatic rightwing.

Where is it written that Democrats are responsible for separation of church and state? The people commenting as such need a refresher in our country's history lessons. This was put into our constitutional rights by our forefathers who realized our country was founded on religious freedom so that all could worship in his/her own way. I being a Democrat wish there were more involvement of the church practices in our daily lives as I feel it keeps us going in the right direction in life. However, I also love the freedoms that our forefathers and others have fought for our country. We can't have that both ways either.

One last comment, my religious beliefs have taught me to try to understand others and to live peacefully with my fellow man/woman. Where did that ideology go to with many of the comments on here? It's so easy to be harsh and make rash judgements when invisible on here. Is that really what Jesus would want though?

I happen to believe Obama is the one person that is in politics that understands all of this nonsense. Too many others use it for agenda purposes only.

October 8, 2007 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. B.D. Cedar Rapids, IA

Interesting...Where did Hussein Obama make these statements? In a Church? What if a Republican made these statements in a church? I don't think we would have the same head line. We would have "Republicans broke the law by campaigning in a Church".

Who is going to create God's Kingdom here on Earth besides God? Hussein Obama? The Government? The later has been tried umpteen times and ended up in the deaths of 100's of million of people. Stalin's promise is just one example.

October 8, 2007 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  18. Jim, NC

America doesn't need generic "faith". America needs to have faith in Jesus Christ.
    Most liberals have great faith in the power and capabilities of the welfare state. There is only One who knows exactly where Obama's faith lies.

October 8, 2007 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  19. Alan, Southern California

Nice words by Mr Obama, but his values do not reflect a Christian "Kingdom" point of view. So the question is begged.....who's "Kingdom" is he talking about??

October 8, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Jeff, Wichita Falls TX

I find it amazing that dems want to push God out of every corner of our lives, until they need him to get elected. Wake up people.

October 8, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. William Hofmeister, Moberly, MO

So they think they can hoodwink the religious among us with someone who advocates the secularist, pro-abortion, hollywood moral, socialist agenda. Empty suit, empty suit, empty suit.

October 8, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. Dan, Columbus OH

I'm not sure how the party that defends abortion-on-demand (including partial birth abortion) and gay marriage, that screams bloody murder whenever a Christian speaks out (Justices Thomas and Alito, General Pace, Dobson etc) but defends Muslim extremists' rights to call for the death of non-believers, and speaks of moral relativism can claim THEY hold the upper hand on religion.

I DO KNOW that there are many faithful, honest religious people that are Democrats, and that the recent scandals show that certain GOP pols have abandoned their morals, but as a whole, the GOP is still the party that embraces God, and the Dems are still the party that embraces secularism and sometimes tries to shut down anything related to religion - especially Christians.

ABORTION is a key issue here - can you REALLY be a party of God if you defend infanticide? A million dead babies doesn't help their case, that's for sure!

October 8, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Tony, Atlana

Amazing that someone who declared it was a "Dark day in America" when the senate upheld the ban on partial birth abortion, and then bow down at the feet of homosexual stars at the "gay" debates, has the audacity to call on the name of the Lord. Apostle Ron Carpenter in the words of Ricky Ricardo has "got some 'splaning" to do!

October 8, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Pickles, Monaca, PA

Michael said: "The dems are fooling only other liberal morons, not normal people, not TRUE AMERICANS! They will NOT win."

Well, idiot, you just smeared half the population of the country. Who made you judge and jury anyway? "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Yes, make your gate to heaven as narrow as you can and ignore the human heart. Then see if YOUR morality is good enough for YOU to pass through that gate.

October 8, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Darren, Philadelphia, PA

Being that all Christ ever commanded us to do was 'go into all the world and preach the gospel and make disciples'.. I am quite confused by the derailed faith in the country these days.

Christians are to bear with the government as long as it doesnt cause them to sin, they are not asked anywhere to 'be' the government.

And Dobson is a nut case too, because family is the least of the New Testament things that were emphasized... reconsile what Dobson preaches with the passage that says "hate your mother, father and children" and it is better to remain single and marriage is only for those that are week and cannot resist temptation.

Does anyone actually look at all the Bible anymore?

October 8, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |