October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Steve, Houston, TX

Imagine a kingdom on earth. I think I've heard that somewhere before. Oh, this must be it:

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

Is this the kingdom Obama is thinking of?

October 8, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. Gerald R. San Antonio, Texas

To Andrea Taylor of Florida: Your Kool-Aid is now being served.

October 8, 2007 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. Steve, Reading, PA

Does any other Christian have a problem like I do when he says "I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."? His statement goes directly against core Christianity principals. To say he wants to create a Kingdom right here on Earth it is a direct challenge that he achieve something comparable to God's own creation. I'm a Lutheran, not an evangelical, but anyone of faith and leadership who says these kind of things concerns me.

October 8, 2007 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  4. Joseph Carroll

What universe does this snake oil salesmen live on?

I used to have respect for this guy but his ignorance of his opponents knows no bounds.

This guy lives around, walks around and makes all decisions based in shame. What is he so ashamed about that he can't just talk about? Something is really wrong with his shame about patriotism and faith that he has to lash out at others on the topic and manufacture phony victimization about EVERYTHING. Grow up you baby.

October 8, 2007 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Donna L

CNN: Thanks for posting the Republican Talking Points so everyone can see clearly what these folks are about.

October 8, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  6. Reynard

CNN is a bunch of liberal suck ups.

Gosh, I bet I know what happens to this one. Some guy in a tutu will wet his pants.

October 8, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  7. ben hall, henderson, ky

As usual, another politician saying whatever will stir his live audience and look good in the media.

October 8, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Paul, Cumberland, MD

No, the GOP does not and can not have a monopoly on faith in politics. But at the sametime, if a Republican had made the comments Obama made on Sunday, the entire DNC, ACLU and every non-GOP or Christian group would be up in arms.

October 8, 2007 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. howie, chicago

I thought these left-wing jackals are against mixing religion and politics?

October 8, 2007 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. Tom, Anaheim, CA

What cracks me up is that over 500 people commented on this topic. Is that a record?

I don't think "God" cares one bit about "Demopublicans" or
    "Republicrats".

October 8, 2007 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. ohioredstate

Has anyone else noticed that every time you read about this man he's knocking Republicans and the President? Mr. Obama, while you're degrading Republicans, your real competition right now is passing you by, buddy. You might want to start talking about a plan – oh yeah, you dems don't ever have one.

October 8, 2007 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. Kevin, Virginia Beach, VA

Can you imagine the out cry from the media if this were a conservative republican speaking at a church? Why is it okay of the Dems to speak from the pulpit and not the Repubs?
    Soon Obama will be talking abouy a 1,000 year reign. Lord help us!

October 8, 2007 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. RH, Scottsdale AZ

Stick a fork in him, HE'S Done!!!

October 8, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  14. Cory, San Diego, CA

There is no such thing as a Democrat who is also a Christian. It is 100% impossible to support mass-infanticide and still call yourself a follower of Christ.

October 8, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  15. Nancy, Marshall Minnesota

Excuse me, BUT what ever happened to the seperation of church and state? This whole God driven polotics is starting to make me sick.

The people of the united states have lost so many freedoms that our forefathers fought for and all you people quibble about is whether Obama is Muslim or Christian. SHEESH people, get a grip. Try being concerned about things that REALLY matter.

How about the thousands of people loosing their homes, jobs and lively hood because of the "religious" war we are fighting now. That is what religion and politics is bring us now.

Religion has NO place in the presidency of the US. This country is way too diverse religiously for it to be a good thing.

October 8, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. larry, boise

How are the left-wing fascist Dems going to vote for this guy now? Oh that's right, they know he's lying through his big horse teeth for the church vote.

October 8, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  17. unc2plo

Why do Democrates get to speak at Churches, but Republicans don't?

October 8, 2007 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. SteveD Philadelphia PA

Candidates for President shouldn't be speaking in religious terms, this isn’t the Middle East. You're free to practice religion here, but you shouldn't wear it on your sleeve.

October 8, 2007 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  19. Bill, from Sarasota,Fl.

In the Bible Jesus says "My Kingdom is not of this earth." Scripture also tells us how satan is attempting to establish his kingdom here on earth through the catholic church (1st beast of Revelation).Who's side are you on, Mr. Obama?

October 8, 2007 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. Marcus Atrocious, Des Moines, Iowa

His name is Barack_Hussein_Obama... yeah, he's a big-time Christian alright.

Whatever.

Marcus

October 8, 2007 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  21. Bill Sand Springs, OK

Watch out for ANY man or group who claims they can establish the Kingdom of God on earth....Sorry! That is reserved for the King of kings ONLY. It will come but, not by man!

October 8, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Mike, Minneapolis, MN

While I give him an E for effort, he is preaching a false doctrine.

No man can create a Kingdom here on Earth, then again, what type of Democratic kingdom was he refering to?(Sodom ?)

Obama needs to spend more time in prayer with Jesus,and reading the Bible, before he dare put foot on the pulpit.

Only Jesus Christ, upon His return, will provide the type of KINGDOM that we as Christians should desire. HE is the only way to Heaven. "There is no other way.."

Keep you focus on Heaven, put your treasures there, not on the words of foolish men in this world.

Pray for our country.

Repent of your sins and put your faith/trust in Christ before it is too late. Thank you.

October 8, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. L Green

...he is a good eight years away from being ready for the top job. He lacks the maturity for the job for which he seeks. He really hasn't done anything yet. I also think that he is too political; he will say what he thinks people want to hear.

October 8, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. Gene, Findlay, OH

Are some of you people nuts?!!! Obama doesn't represent christians in any way. He swore into the Senate on the koran!!! Beware of the wolf in sheeps clothes. This SOB is the enemy! I'm a conservative and I would vote for Hillary before I would this guy.

October 8, 2007 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Chris T Resurrectionville, USA

Friends gather round. An old song flows out from the forest, or the bright grass breaking thru the concrete, like a warm safari. Coming home... coming home...

The boy from the story is alive and well. He wrote a book, and one day he'll tell. But for now, there's a dancing kid, back with his family, in the land of Obama's Promise.

October 8, 2007 10:44 am at 10:44 am |