October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Justin Niland

Obama wants to create a Kingdom on Earth, with himself as King, of course.

October 8, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Michael Katsaitis, Franklin TN

How would the media act if Fred Thompson went in front of a Baptist Church giving the same exact speech about faith and values? The media would start crying out the same Bovine separation of church and state.

October 8, 2007 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. Justin Niland, San Antonio, TX

Obama wants to create a Kingdom on Earth, with himself as King. Heaven help us if he gets elected.

October 8, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. Dusty Roop, San Angelo, Texas

Obama is no more a Christian than I am a Muslim. He's a new age poverty pimp just like Jesse Jackson. He just has a leg up politically with a bunch of confused supporters looking for a leader. What they may find is the Antichrist...

October 8, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Tom Clair, Lynchburg Virginia

1 Corinthians 6:9-10:

9 Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, 10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.

Democrats promote the killing of unborn Children – larget percentage are black as a percentage of total population. 40 % of abortions are black , Blacks make up 12% of population. You would think that Obama would cry on his knees to know what a genocide has been laid on the American Black race. Nope , he tows the line for the Democrats.

Democrats say kill all the unborns you want, it is your right to Privacy.

Democrates promote homosexuality, is it wrong, according to the Bible yes, fore God and not Man.

Democrats promote homosexuality, there is no right or wrong, what ever feels good. Some time in the future, the ACLU and the Democrats will be pushing for Beastiality, why not? They have NO MORAL UNDERPINNINGS TO THE CHRISTIAN FAITH.

May God Forgive us..........

October 8, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  6. Wesner, Miami Beach, Fl

To all of Obama supporters, I really appreciates you guys take your stands. furthermore, I also acknowledge few Republicans and some few independents who are also taking a stand for Obama, but not yet had made their decision on voting for him which I totally respect.

It is very sad to see in this 21st. century, we have not establish that much of a progress towards respecting someone ideas, respecting someone beliefs, respecting someone ethnicity background and most important of all, respect yourself first before anything.

The issue is that I am a fully devoted Christian, but I want to be. My goal is to strive everyday to be the best I can to accomplish of becoming a fully devoted Christian. And one thing I know for sure is thou shall not put God's name in vain.

Now, I know am going hate myself for doing this, but it is an obligation to defend a great individual. Therefore, I'm going to lower myself to all of you guys chastising, criticizing, and blaspheming Obama on courageous stands on what is right for this country.

To all the idiots that never graduate from high school better yet pre-school due all of us a big favor? GET OFF YOUR MOTHERS BREST, GET A REAL JOB, STOP HAVING SEX WITH YOUR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS, AND STOP HIDING BEHIND THE WHITE SHEETS AND THE KEYBOARD. YOU GUYS ARE WORST THEN ROACHES.

"I GOT YOUR BACK OBAMA!"

October 8, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. Neil, Colorado SPrings, CO

Wow...a Muslim who suddenly found the Christian God and all of you pinheads just eat it up. Please, he is like every politician...will say and do anything and worship whatever god will get him elected.

October 8, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. JR, Columbus, OH

Where is the hatred that the left spews when a conservative talks about faith? So, the left is ok with faith as long as the messenger is from the left? Sure, he'll say, "Let's talk and embrace religion" and then proceed forward as if he never did. Sounds like the same old hypocrisy. His words sound good to the ears, but they are hollow and meaningless in reality and in practice. He is psuedo-everything.

October 8, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. Luke, Florence, Mt

"You will know them by their fruit" The fruit of politics is anger, division, pride (I am right, you are wrong), hate, strife and so on... I see no love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness or self-control in politics (or in any of the above postings). Christians, why do we think we can force others to do what we cannot do without the help of Jesus? No wonder we are viewed with fear and distain. Politics is not the answer just as the biblical law is not, they can not change people's hearts, only Jesus Christ can. He set up his kingdom 2000 years ago, make Him ruler of your life (I am still taking to christians), He is the answer, put your hope in Him not some political doctrine or person.

October 8, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Rob Velasquez, San Diego CA

Good for him. A few things...some people have posted that he is just rying to play to the religious community, or that hes not truly religious because hes only talking about his faith in church. But isnt this the same thing that the republican party does..mentions their religious beliefs so they can get the vote of the church goers? Also if hes tlaking about his bleifs doenst it stand to reason that he would do it in front of people who have similiar views? Though I have many issues with christianity and catholisms since it seems so many people from that side are intent on forcing thier views on everyone else and are the first to condem someone (as shown here by the words said agasint Obama) I have to say good for him, hes showing that there shoudl be unity and equality and hes not forcing his views on the masses but showing that he is a man with views. The best person is one that will expose themselves and be true to thier faith but not let their faith guide their political actions. Hes got my vote.

October 8, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Mike Port Richey, FL

"We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

Anytime a politician makes this type of statement a cold shiver runs down my spine.

"What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven."
    F. Holderlin

October 8, 2007 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. KJ, Minnesota

err, rather he did attend a school that was predominantly Muslim, but also attended a Catholic school as well, neither of which he attended for reasons of faith, just out of necessity.

October 8, 2007 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. Daryl, Shawnee, OK

Be careful what you say. This blog censors comments!!

October 8, 2007 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. RODOM

I'm wondering how long we'll have to wait before the media wing of the Democratic party runs a story about the "danger" of mixing religion and politics. It's peculiar how the press depict the evangelicals as nothing more than hypocritical bigots–when they're conservative and white. While Jimmy Carter and Jesse Jackson are, of course, "men of faith."

October 8, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  15. Steve Chicago Il

Wake Up!
    Yeah, Barack Hussein Obama stands for morals and values like: killing the unborn,and sodomy. This guy will say anything to get elected. I guess he will have to be satisfied with being Hillary's vice president.

October 8, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Gene, Seminole, OK

Hitler thought he was tight with God. Helping Him with the “Jewish Question” and all.

October 8, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. jerry garcia san antonio,tx

he is sing ing to the choir.

October 8, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. Dom

What I love about Obama is that he is such a genuine down to earth guy who effortlessly connects with the common man. It comes straight from the heart with Obama and you know what you're getting.

With the others, esp Clinton, they are always weighing, calculating each word, every nuance, every smile – it's all rather fake and distant.

We need a President who is one of our own – that's what the President of the USA is! We're not electing a wanna-be King / Queen.

Obama – Judgement to Lead !

October 8, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. J. Schweitzer

Until the Democratic Party removes it's plank supporting unrestricted access to abortion, it cannot lay claim to anything but shame in the moral arena.

October 8, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. Buckwheat

Oh, gee whizz! Yesterday, I blogged on this stream and realized later that my "Anti-Democrat" comments (which were not inflamatory) would never be published by CNN because of their bias for the bad guys.
    To be brief: If a Republican used a church as a fund raiser . . . guess what the outrage would be by CNN?
    My comments weren't posted. Second try!

CNN: "HALF OF THE STORY, ALL OF THE TIME!"

October 8, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. El Gato, Harlem, NY

Obama is a secret Muslim in my opinion, and he sure as heck isn't a mainstream Christian. He's as phony as a $3.00 bill. Would you trust ANY black to be the leader of the U.S.? Has the black community handled the problems they have? Of course not, so why would anyone believe they could handle the larger community? Reparations anyone?

October 8, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. Scotty DuPriest, Lodi, CA.

Yes the Republicans do not own faith and values. We just don't cater to the abortion wing of the democratic machine. Sorry folks, Life is Sacred you can play this off anyway you want, but God again will judge not by who you know, what you did, but how you lived. Hold a new born baby in your arms and tell me its all right.

October 8, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. Brian, Denver, CO

1) For Christian conservatives hating democrats is an extension of their faith. I've been consistently confused why the Dems think they are going to change that.
    2) I guess he has a point though. Neither party is exactly a great representation of God's will. The Republicans have the Old Testament down. But then there's that whole New Testament thing that their policies directly contradict.

October 8, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  24. Les, Orlando, FL

Of course the GOP does not "own" God or faith and values. But the Dems have been so shoddy with this area. I consider myself Christian and have been in a Dem family but this is where I have a problem. That's also why I am registered independent. I will go with a candidate who brings the best ideas to the table no matter what party, but they must have some sort of values and must respect the constitution. So far, only Ron Paul has appealed to me.

October 8, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  25. Peter, Dallas, Texas

Note that Barack Hussein Obama includes no reference to Jesus. He could be trying to disguise the fact that he is referring to his own original faith, Islam.

October 8, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |