October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. DONALD FAHRENKRUG, Colorado Springs, CO

Obama may think he can create a Kingdom on earth, but I have news for him. He can't. That feat is under the sovereign control of Jesus Christ. As for his "religion" anyone who supports gay marriage (an obscenity), and abortion–the modern-day version of child-sacrifice, is not Christian. He may belong to a pagan religion of some kind an so be it. But, please, don't claim to be an Orthodox Christian and have those loonie ideas.

October 8, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Rick/Marine City Michigan

what you have here is...a typical liberal democrat that changes like a chameleon. Just like when Hilary Clinton speaks in the south she suddenly has an accent.
    Fakes.
    ~Rick

October 8, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. Atheist

Atheists comprise 10-20% of the US population. A significant sub-population with probably a high incidence of voting, especially after years of Bush attempting to create a theocracy.

I've been turned off by Obama's prima donna attitudes, and now by his overt delcaration of his belief in fairy tales. What a great way to finish off his already-sinking ship. He underestimates the number of people who don't have imaginary friends (i.e., gods).

October 8, 2007 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. Eric, Maryland

Since when does a pro-abortion mentality, the outright murder of INNOCENT infants, coincide with morality and Christian values? I'd like to see any "so called" compassionate liberal defend this stance.

Oh yeah, don't even try to point out the capital punishment card...

October 8, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Shane, Tallahassee, FL

I just finished reading this article and decided to read through the postings. I was floored by the hateful and closed minded veiws of the liberal posters here. I can't believe you people (liberal/democrats). Then again, yes I can.

October 8, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. Mike-Carlsbad, CA

Just because Barack Osama says it doesn't make it so. He is a typical Democrat poolicitican who will say whatever it takes to get a vote. Not recognizing that life starts at conception and condoning murder of the unborn does not get my vote.

October 8, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Chris

LOL! Obama for religious values? Yea, maybe he can hold up some aborted babies at his next rally. ANYone who supports the killing of innocent unborn babies is not truly religious. I wonder what those so-called evangelical churches feel about his abortion stance? Maybe CNN should ask them.

October 8, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Erik Hough, Granbury, Tx

I still think its slightly hard for Liberals claim you have any credibility in a discusson about religion when the ACLU is on a mission to remove any public symbols of Christianity.

True, Republicans have been the ones more willing to use God's name in speeches, and don't always practice what they preach. However, they aren't the ones trying to remove the word "God" from the pledge of allegiance either. Here's a tip, if you don't like it cover your ears. The same thing rational Americans have to do when we hear Sean Penn talking about how great things are in Venezuala, or Michael Moore talking about how wonderful the health care system is in Cuba!! Or Ted Kennedy saying anything!

October 8, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Faith Heckenberg

Sounds like Islam to me. Whatever happened to separation of church & state. Beware Americans our country is in real danger. You cannot criticize George for his beliefs and then say Obama has it right. Pay attention to what he said.

October 8, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Spartan-117, Colony 229, California-New

Yeah he is definitely the anti-christ. A kingdom on earth is a statement right out revelation. Don't believe everything he tells You...

October 8, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Osama

Why is Barack Hussein Obama hiding the fact that he is muslim???

October 8, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. sad

"If he continues to support unlimited abortion, he will soon prove that he is not a Christian"

Actually the only thing required to be a Christian is to accept Jesus Christ into your heart, period.

I cannot believe the amount of hatred posted in these comments.

October 8, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Ron, TX

"I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth." So much for that little separation of church and state thing, eh. Any Republican saying things like this would be hammered by the media and every pro-Obama poster on this site. C'mon, you know you it would happen.

Posted By Markus, Pittsburgh PA : October 8, 2007 4:19 pm
    ------------

Anyone who takes that line and thinks there is a problem is guilty of playing headline politics. It is taken out of context. Obama, unlike if some Republicans said it, obviously did not mean that he wanted to establish a religious kingdom in the United States.

October 8, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. Steve Lefave,Orlando Florida

For all the Lieral Democrats who think religion is an issue. "It is,ONLY AT ELSCTION TIME".
    Does the ACLU ring a bell,Liberal Democrats all.How about the judges who adjudicate seperation of church and state under false pretenses.If the Democrats really belive in seperation of church and state why are they going to these church's singing and praising the Lord,how obnoxiois can you get.Just another ploy to split people into groups. WAKE UP DEMOCRATS you are being feed a line of bologna and you are eating it right up.

Take a look at what happens in places like SanFrancisco where they glorify the gay idiots but don't allow the Marines to film an advertisment. That is your Liberal Democrat Party.

The Republicans don't have any better track record but they are supported by Christian Conservatives because they stand for some form of morality and they do not stoop to pandering at black churches or, white churchs for that matter.

Too bad Democrats don't have the sme values as when John Kennedy was president and Bobby was Attorney General.

October 8, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Jason M.

This article is just silly. Of course the GOP owns issues of faith. We're the only party defending the notion that Christianity should stay at the forefront of "public" display in society.

October 8, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. maddog, cincinatti, ohio

By reading these comments, I guess he's sucked most of you into his BS. A progressive agenda we need??? Thanks but no thanks, if you want a socialist /progressive government why not move to one. Leave America alone, I love my wife (it's a man/woman thing most of you wouldn't understand) I like my gas guzzling truck, boat, motorcycles, my guns, my 401K and my health insurance as it is... but then again I work for a living and I'm not looking for government handouts.

October 8, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Jim, Oakland Park, FL

Obama "I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party,

You'd have to HAVE values and faith in order NOT to cede them. Empty rhetoric.

October 8, 2007 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. P. Peterson

Let's see...Jesus hung around with 12 other guys all the time and was never married. Hmmmm...it seems to me that the first Christian probably liked other men...

October 8, 2007 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. kruger, Olney, IL

Get real people. Jesus is not a figment of our imagination that we can twist and skew so as to fit our means. Either we are for HIM or against HIM. THERE IS NO GRAY AREA. It amazes me that people can profess love for God, and go to the polls and vote AGAINST GOD! You Dems support taking God out of classrooms, courtrooms, off of money, OUT OF SOCIETY! It is a way of thinking that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and UNGODLY! Anyone with half a brain knows that the intended meaning of 'separation of church and state' is that the goverment CANNOT tell us when, where and how to worship GOD. All but 2 of the signers of the Constitution were proven to be DEVOUT CHRISTIANS, and the other two were thought to be, although it has not been proven. It doesn't mean that we are not allowed to worship him in a goverment facility. It means that we can worship him and praise him wherever and whenever we want. That includes praying "in Jesus' name" if we want to. And the Government CANNOT Constitutionally tell us not to. But they do. Thanks to the anti-God Dems. That is such idiocracy. It sickens me that anyone would ever believe the sack of lies that the democratic leaders feed the people of this country on a daily basis. It also sickens me that people who claim to love God would support the constant belittling of the Christian faith. I have NEVER met a Democrat that truly knew what they supported, and fully understood the ramifications of what they do when they go to the polls. Do all of the world a favor and decide which side you are on. If you are FOR GOD, then support him in all of your actions. (voting included) If you are against him, then keep voting the way you do. Sit down and be quiet Obama. You talk like you're the Anti-Christ. You are not the Savior... There is only one Savior. The Lord Jesus Christ. I'm sure He'd be more than happy to remind you of that.

October 8, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  20. Mary Smith, Hopkins KY

What ever happen to his white Mama ?

October 8, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. Preston Hansonn

WHERE IS THE ACLU. Where is the separate of church and state? Obama and demorats get free press and advertising in church who don't pay taxes. That should be illegal. Where's the IRS? Where is honest in these churches. Obama is NOT a church official, thank God.

October 8, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Brian, Austin TX

ATTENTION RELIGOUS FREAKS!!

Obama is right on this issue!! I guess you feel threatened by the fact that a liberal is right about religion. It's you ignorant people that seem to think any hypocritical conservative understands what religion means at all. Your blinding yourselves putting any trust in the religous right. it's a joke to even conceive the notion that there even is a "religous" right. They should be called the "always fool the religous right".

October 8, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. Ping Dallas, TX

The left just don't get it. I don't ever recall any member of the GOP claiming they "owned" religion or morals. Democrats are tagged as being immoral and without religion because of their actions and deeds. They bend the truth and lie to the sheep that are their constituents. Obama doesn't stand a chance unless he tags along with Clinton as a VP. No one can possibly believe the Clinton machine has morals but they will get the Democratic nod due to their ruthless nature which is positive news for conservatives in 08.

October 8, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. joseph b. hall jr..... philadelphia,pa

will OBAMA'S new kingdom murder the unborn?

October 8, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. God, Everywhere, Universe

Alright, Already.
    would you all just SHUT THE H–l UP, and learn to get along???
    You're really pissing me off.
    YES, I KNOW HOW TO SWEAR – I LEARNED IT FROM MY KIDS!!!
    This is GOD, I'm beginning to re-think my whole Creation. Remember what I DID in Noah's days??? Huh?? You remember??
    I know I said I wouldn't do that again and sent you the rainbow( THAT'S RIGHT, A RAINBOW!!!) as a sybmol, Well don't provoke me!!!!!!!

October 8, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |