October 8th, 2007

Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values

Obama told an evangelical church in South Carolina: "I am confident we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) - After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Full story

Related video: Obama: 'Faith plays every role'

Related video : Obama goes after the 'God gap'

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Faith • South Carolina
  1. Ryan

Is there a secular party left in this nation?

October 7, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  2. Edward

David: You mean after you liberals are done pampering those very same child molesters and rapist in prison? I agree with you about Christians being to trusting and inviting evil into their mist though.

October 7, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. RJWUSA, Bay Area, CA.

Looks to me like the Redemption World Outreach Center should lose it's 501c3 tax exempt status for alowing Obama to campaign within it's sanctuary.

October 7, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  4. John, Brooklyn, OH

Leave it to a card carrying liberal Democrat to take something as deep-rooted, personal, and sublime as religious faith, and interpret it as nothing more than a bone of contention between political factions. Pathetic and disgusting. People "vote their faith" when they see one party, at the very least, as the lesser of two evils. You can't just say "we believe in God and the Bible, say Amen, brother!" and then go ahead and give the thumbs-up for abortion (including tax-supported abortion), homosexual marriage, restriction of personal liberties, the ACLU, suspension of personal responsibilities, oppressive taxation and property-ownership laws, etc., etc. You can't just say "we are holy, say AMEN!" - you have to act it. That's perhaps the key reason for the recent diminishing of the GOP's popularity; they no longer "walk the walk," and their base is turning away in disgust. But this just shows the Democrats' unparalleled capacity for a grotesque degree of misunderstanding, impropriety, and indecency.

October 7, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  5. Bubba, Charleston, SC

that confidence in having a kingdom on earth is also the confidence of having no AIDS in Africa

October 7, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  6. Tom, Boston, MA

"We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."
    I wonder what "advisor" invented this unquoteable quote. "keep on praising" might be understandable to people of an evangelical faith, but it is not quoteable as "keep on praying".

"create a kingdom right here on earth". Surely, he is not speaking of installing a feudal system with himself as signeur. This is understandable to people of faith as a "kingdom of heaven". However, it is not sensibly quoteable. Since it is subject to so many meanings he can always claim that he "mispoke".

October 7, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  7. tim fitz

I hope that the Kingdom that Obama is confident in creating here on Earth is inclusive of other faiths.

Obama is a member of the religious left, not the religious right. His United Church of Christ is only slightly more Christian in spirit than Unitarian Universalism, which is very open and tolerant. It's all good, lefties, no need to be concerned.

October 7, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. PHANWA, NEW JERSEY NY

My CHINESE GRANDMOTHER is very very old. She has a boot wrinkled face, and her eyes are so slanted, she looks likes she's sleep walking. I feel so sad sometimes when she has to pee pee in the toilet. I'm not sure if she gonna use the rice paper mints for toilet paper sometimes. I have to carry her to the bathroom when she need to pee pee. She asked me one time this evening, "Honey bee, do you think I can go to the hospital and get some medicine to make my eyelids stay open like WHITE WOMEN on news channels with long blond hair?" I said, "GRANDMOTHER, you so old you won't look like the WHITE WOMEN on news channels." She started to cry while she was pee peeing. I was really upset. I heard the health care proposal today and I wondering if there is a way I can claim eye surgery for my CHINESE GRANDMOTHER without making it seem like a cosmetic surgery?

PHANWA IN THE MACHINE

October 7, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. e

AMEN! John from Brooklyn : )

October 7, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  10. MB White Shawnee, Oklahoma

How many of you will vote for a man who attends a church with this as their mission statement?
    1. Commitment to God
    2. Commitment to the White Community
    3. Commitment to the White Family
    4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
    5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
    6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
    7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
    8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of “Middleclassness”
    9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
    10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
    11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
    12. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.

Welcome to Barak Obama – only substitute Black for White.

October 7, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. Lioness, Washington DC

Ron from Nebraska,

You said it!

October 7, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  12. Ron Nebraska

I think Mr. Obamas 'kingdom on earth' comment might have been just a little too deep for most of you to understand judging by the hysteria created here. I believe he was talking about how we treat one another here and now. You know, that christian doctrine that has something to do with how your society is judged based on how you treat the weakest among you. After reading some of these posts by these good christian folks I would be very afraid to spend 5 minutes in a room with any of you. I don't believe you're making Jesus proud by being so terribly ignorant.

October 7, 2007 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  13. Lioness, Washington DC

Ryan, that's what I'm wondering.

October 7, 2007 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  14. RJ Appleton, Wi

"...I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God..." Please, give me a break! I don't believe God would vote, as Obama did in the Illinois legislature, to authorize the killing of a baby that survives an abortion. In my mind that's murder. How does he square that with the God he says he worships? As an agnostic that leans more athiest, even I have more respect for life than this guy does.

October 7, 2007 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  15. ken upland ca

Thank God!!! Obama Bin Laden is here to save the country...

October 7, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  16. Bryan, Kansas City MO

Can you imagine the outrage on the left if a republican had said this? But since its Osama, i mean Obama, its okay

October 7, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. Rhonda, Cabot,AR

If you want to learn about the Kingdom of God, you should visit http://www.ihop.org .

October 7, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  18. David, Riverside, California

The only true religion of the left is liberalism, and its' only objective is the regaining of power by the Democrats. Sorry, folks, but a group of people who advocate partial-birth abortion, appeasement of terrorist-sponsoring countries, and the banning of any mention of Jesus Christ in public discourse, etc., cannot be considered " instruments " of any God but one of their own invention. Try reading The same Bible that you have banned from public schools, if you don't agree...

October 7, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  19. gzeena, San Antonio, TX

If Jim Baker could convince hoards of people to just believe in him then perhaps Mr. Obama can do the same. I believe he's a muslime.

October 7, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  20. Greg Buls, Chino Valley, AZ

Create your kingdom, Barack. Others have had the same idea, and it always ends in ruin. Its flavor here will be more democrat "values", all paid for by the rest of us, charity at gunpoint.
    Mr. Obama thinks it's a fine idea to stick scissors into an unborn baby's skull and suck its brains out the hole. Nice kingdom. The sane will pass on your kingdom, thanks anyway.
    The best thing democrats can do for America is to nominate this egomaniac and watch him fall apart in front of the world. He's a flake, and anyone who can't see it has already drunk the kool aid.

October 7, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  21. Sonya B., Raleigh, NC

I thought Dems were always screaming about the separation of church and state. So, what do we have here? A politician campaigning in church, talking about building Kingdom on earth and asking for prayer.

Real Christians know that only utopians strive to establish a Kingdom on earth - utopians like the Marxists who gave us Communism and 10 million dead.

Why are the Dems getting so religious all of a sudden? Pelosi's out there saying she prays for W every day.

They must be afraid they'll loose another presidential election unless they learn how to pander to Christian. So, let the pandering begin.

October 7, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. jim, miami, florida

Lioness,

Can you give one example of how Bush uses religion to divide the country, spit hate, or whatever non-sense you said? The country is divided because of bush-haters like you who can't stand that somebody has different ideas than they do. The bush-haters have divided the country. Bush has not divided the country. All this stuff about Obama being more inclusive and trustworthy is just your erroneous perception which is pretty obvious when I read your post with no specific instances to back up what you are saying. Just your feelings...a good liberal. Keep living in your bubble...

October 7, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Justin, Lubbock, TX

Amos 8:11-12
    Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
    And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find [it].

October 7, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. David

It is amazing how much hate and ugly ignorance there is in the world...I can only hope that this site represents all there is ..otherwise we as a people are doomed

October 7, 2007 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  25. Cdalene

Sooooo many ignorant people in this country. Politicians like Obama and Clinton can fool democrat voters in a split second because of shallow minds. It doesn't take much to figure out what's happening. Obama is catering to the black vote now because of the comments about him being too white. His remarks about setting up a kingdom on earth is downright scary, scary, scary. Beware of this man and his messages. Open your eyes and use your head.

October 7, 2007 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |