October 9th, 2007

Clinton spars with questioner over Iran

Listen to Clinton's verbal spat with a Iowa voter over the weekend.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton often holds several town-hall events a day as she campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination. But a particular gathering in northern Iowa Sunday is the subject of several media reports after the New York Democrat engaged in a verbal tussle with a questioner over Iran.

At an event in New Hampton, Iowa, a questioner took issue with Clinton's recent Senate vote calling on President Bush to formally call the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. He argued that such a distinction confers the president with the ability to invade the country.

"Why should I support your candidacy . . . if it appears you haven't learned from your past mistakes?" the questioner asked, referring to Clinton's vote to authorize the use of military force in Iraq.

Clinton began by telling the questioner "the premise of the question is wrong," and argued the measure calls for the terrorist label so that sanctions can be imposed. The sanctions, she also said, will in turn "send a clear message to the leadership" and lead to stronger diplomatic efforts.

The Democratic presidential front-runner then concluded by suggesting the question was planted, saying, "somebody obviously sent it to you."

Rolph denied anyone had put him to the question.

"I take exception," Rolph fired back. "This is my own research. Nobody sent it to me, I am offended that you would suggest that."

"Let me finish," Clinton sharply responded, before saying "I apologize, I just have been asked the very same question in three other places."

Click here to CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Full story

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Joe, Birmingham AL

Clinton NEVER answers a question straight on. When she's not bashing other candidates, another party, anyone she can to take the focus off of her incompetence, she's tiptoeing around questions.

October 9, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  2. Navy Wife! US NAVY 23 Yrs.

SHE DOESN'T HAVE MY VOTE (OR MANY IN THE MILITARY) VOTE AS SHE DOESN'T CARE FOR THE PEOPLE OR THE TROOPS. ASK AN ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIER, SAILOR OR MARINE!
    As she stated to my husband in NMF-Iraq when she displaced troops from helocopters when she wanted to 'change' her schedule for her convenience... she stated "It's the troops job [to be in danager]..." her change knowingly by her placed troops in hummers vice their scheduled helos so she could 'change' as she desired. She also didn't want to do any PR time with them and fussed with one of her 'handlers'/ 'manager' when she said "Fine I'll do it" she cut her time short and didn't show her care for the soldiers or sailors present... including my husband (he was so disappointed) We share our testiment with all who will listen as this is a side of Hillary she like to dress up in drag and pass of as a 'caring politician' HOG WASH! GO HOME HILLARY.

October 9, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  3. Chuck V. Sacramento

Thank Van Reuter for proving to me that Hillary is every bit as shrill as I've been told. I was leaning Hillary, but after watching the video your supplied I'm voting Obama. I believe Obama, even if he knew the dude was a plant, would have answered his question. Van Reuter, you have done me a great service and I thank you. I'm for Obama now.

October 9, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  4. speakingoutworld

Once again we see the true attitude and response from Clinton. This is a woman ready to blame someone for entrapping her to answer a question. It's always a conspiracy against her and her husband. She even showed once again that her secret service and other people that has served her that said she was easily angered and defensive was right. That's what we want running the country. I don't think so.

October 9, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  5. Chuck Seymour Indiana

Duh....have something to hide? Worried about something, like maybe voter intelligence...gotta watch that paranoid response!

October 9, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  6. PSKing Lakeside, AZ

I think, finally, people are starting to see through ms. Clinton's thin veil of civility. The metamorphosis of her every-changing campaign. "Advisors" whispering in her ear, trying to shape a "winner". The laugh-track phase was my personal favorite. Disingenuous. I truly pray the American people will come to understand that a disingenuous CANDIDATE will most certainly be a disengenuous president. Do you folks want someone in power that looks upon the American people as a bunch of dunces that can't be trusted with the truth? Personally, I'm sick and tired of that- I am an intelligent citizen of this country- and I've had my fill of half-truths and lies. With Hillary- I can only see more of the same. I have much respect for Sen. Obama- I hope he secures the nomination-

October 9, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  7. speakingoutworld

Also I forgot to say, IT'S ABOUT TIME WE GOT A REAL ISSUE. NO GOD IN THIS STORY, YEAH!!!!!!! bACK TO REAL ISSUES OF POLITICS.

October 9, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. Mark, Dallas, TX

Go Hillary! Politics is tough business, full of negotiation, compromise, and balancing of multiple issues. Those of you who are so vehemently opposed to Hillary are pretty simple minded thinking "your way is the right way". That sort of thinking is just like Bush. What you call lying is compromise and negotiation – that's politics – get real! I like Hillary because she's trying to bring a moderate balanced point of view – Republicans are voters too and if you don't try and represent their thoughts or consider their thoughts then you are no better than what we already have. Is that what people want? A single minded simple President – we've had 8 years of that. Simple minds breed simple Presidents.

October 9, 2007 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  9. therealist

Look! Over there, its a plant. No!! Don't read it again!!!

Clinton's recent Senate vote calling on President Bush to formally call the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization confers Bush with the ability to invade the country.

October 9, 2007 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  10. sue maccia, new hope, pa

Not surprising. She should do what bush does, have her goons make sure there aren't any.

October 9, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. Dean

YEAH! BRING'EM ON BUSH!! YEEEEAHHHH!!!

October 9, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. alan St. Louis Mo

It is time for frsh leadrship.

I dont like the last 20 years of leadership. And another 8 years of the same 20. If we vote clinton and we get the same po po we had for the last 20 years. Then we have no place to complain !!!!! since we elected the same old leaders agin. So we get what we deserve more failed leadership.

I perfer Joe Biden but Obama ok too.

Come on !!!!!!!is it time for new fresh leadership or the same ole poo poo leadership we had for the last 20 years????

Whats next ??Hill does 8 years then Jeb Bush from flordia does 8 years then 8 years of Clinton daughters then 8 years of Bush daughter. And so on.

Enuf is Enuf. No more corpate republicans and no more Clintons.

Go Biden or Obama !!!!!!!

God help me If Hill gets ELECTED then Jeb Bush runs after 8 years of Hill them Im Moving out of the US. By then we be a country of no hope and live in fear. And the Amercian Dream will be Bankrupt.

October 9, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  13. Larry, Mason, NH

Let's see:

8 years Bush Sr VP
    4 years Bush Sr Pres
    8 years Clinton Bill Pres
    8 years Bush Jr Pres
    8 years Clinton Hill ? Pres
    8 years Bush Jeb ? Pres
    44 years

Enough. Wake up America. This is America, is it not?

October 9, 2007 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  14. Armin BAur, Litchfield, CT

Senatro Hillary Clinton is a smart lady and is benefitting from her husband Bill. The Voters need to understand that Hillary is running for herself and not to serve the Amereican people. She is a power hungry, egotistical women seeking to be the most powerful job. If you want to do something for this country than vote for Edwards, Obama or Biden but certainly not Clinton.

October 9, 2007 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Tom, Newark, DE

If Hillary were a man, I doubt there would be all the fuss. Let's face it – she has a steeper mountain to climb than all of the other candidates, Democrats & Republicans. She has my vote. She's complex & intelligent... you don't get a simple answer from her because she recognizes that most answers aren't simple as most of you would like to believe. She's trying to represent all of Americans – liberals and conservatives. It's the game of politics... did you expect anything else?

October 9, 2007 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  16. mbright Des Moines, Iowa

Go Hillary! Their hate is a measure of your success. We are out here, quietly waiting to vote for you.

October 9, 2007 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  17. PENNSYLVANIA

Even if he was planted, an "experienced" leader (or so she claims) should just simply answer the question. If she was asked the same question previously, she obviously knows the answer. Quit your moaning and groaning Hillary and answer a real question for once....

I'm also shocked she didn't do her little hyena laugh before her "experienced" answer. Oh, Hillary... where did your inner hyena go?

October 9, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. Dom

Plant or flower – you still should answer the question in a dignified manner Hilary.

October 9, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  19. who cares, northfield, mn

it seems Clinton is going to have other problems now that Mr. Berger might be advising her. But I dont think you will read that on CNN.

October 9, 2007 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  20. Tom - Dedham, Mass

ARE ALL REPUBLICANS FOOL'S? ARE ONLY FOOL'S REPUBLICANS?

Posted By HAWK, TEXAS : October 8, 2007 5:51 pm

Thank you "Hawk" for your usual well thought out and intelligent posting with CAPITAL letters that augment your genius.

Keep up the good work, "Hawk"?.

Those damn Republicans getting her to yell at this guy for having the stupidity to ask the annointed one a tough question with the expectation of an actual "presidential answer".

The reality is that she did not know if he is a plant, but you saw her angry reaction to someone asking her something that wasn't a softball question.

October 9, 2007 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. Craig, Lake Orion, MI

Hilary,

You have been asked that question 3 times, because people are concerned about where such a distinction might lead. You didn't think it possible that more than one person could share the same conerns? If not, you certainly don't kow the people of this country and I would call your ability to lead this nation into question.

October 9, 2007 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  22. Mike Wasinski, Poway, CA

I don't think she's been asked that question enough. If she wants Democrats' support, she needs to be a leader, not a follower.

October 9, 2007 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  23. Max Furr, Onancock, VA

At least Clinton did not have the student attacked and arrested as the Republicans (and, sadly, Kerry) would have done.

Remember Bush's "town hall meetings?" Only Bush loyalists were allowed in, and if anyone showed any signs of disagreeing, they were hustled out and/or arrested. That’s Bush’s idea of free speech.

I see that President Ahmadinejad does the same now. Bush and Ahmadinejad—mirror images.

October 9, 2007 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  24. cc

rrrreeeeooooooooowwwwww fffft, ffffft. Hillarious!

Here's what you people can expect for the next 4 years. What a condesending wench. Is she going to cry out like that every time she has an assumption? LET ME FINISH? I love it! I can't wait for her to lose.

October 9, 2007 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  25. Adam, Omaha, NE

It's New Hampton, Iowa – not North Hampton. FYI.

October 9, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |