October 9th, 2007

McCain loves ethanol, hates subsidies

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain joked about his opposition to ethanol subsidies during a question about innovation in the auto industry at Tuesday’s Republican presidential debate in Dearborn, Michigan.

“I have a glass of ethanol every morning before breakfast, but I still don’t support the subsidies, and I don’t think we need them,” he said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan
  1. Ed,Ellenville,New York

I suspected he was a moonshiner,doesn't he know that making shine is illegal? If it wasn't for people like him drinking the ethanol,it'd be our fuel already. The combustion engine was invented for ethanol,not gasoline.

October 9, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. Ed,Ellenville,New York

And diesel was invented to run on peanut oil.

October 9, 2007 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. laurinda,ny

I'll tell you. If I were him I'd drink a bottle of Geritol every morning and then go sit in the sun!

October 9, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. MJ, Fullerton, CA

Sure, it's an innocent little joke, but does he realize that ethanol IS the form of alcohol we drink in beer, wine, and spirits?

A GLASS of ethanol (usually a glass is considered 8 oz) would be the equivalent of 16 shots of vodka.

It's just a joke, but it's funnier when you realize it has other connotations.

October 9, 2007 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  5. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

"I have a glass of ethanol every morning before breakfast..."

Why? Is it to nurse the hangover from last night's fundraising party that virtually nobody attended? If the presidential race were like a game of "who wants to be a millionaire", and I were the host, I'd advise McCain to take the money and walk away, because the presidential-level questions might be too tough for him.

October 10, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |