October 9th, 2007

Thompson: Race was boring without me

Fred Thompson made a quip about his delayed timing in entering the GOP presidential race.

(CNN) - When asked at Tuesday's GOP debate in Dearborn, Michigan, if he tossed his hat in the ring too late, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson said he had no regrets about his late entry into the race.

"I’ve enjoyed watching these fellas,” he said. “I gotta admit, it was getting a little boring without me.”

He also said the timing of his entry “seems about right to me.”

–CNN Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Michigan
  1. jo, ATL GA

H- honesty
    I- intergrity
    L- learned
    L- level headed
    A- Aware
    R- responsible/reliable
    Y-YES!!!

GA for HILLARY

October 9, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Fred must be snoozing through his own speeches. Hope he doesn't nod off during the debate tonight. I wonder what he was doing as the nation discussed Terri Schiavo – said he'd never heard about it.

Some people run for office – others amble.

October 9, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  3. George, Tampa, FL

News flash – it's more boring with you in it.

Your fake 'country-mannerisms' isn't enough to get you elected any more. Bush has already played that good ol boy card trick.

We have seen you get out of your limo and into your photo-op pickup truck.

Go back to TV.

October 9, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. Tim, Las Vegas, NV

Instead of joking about how FDT was coming late to the game, Romney should have joked about how his numbers were slipping compared to FDT!

FDT '08 – SECURICTY, UNITY, PROSPERITY!

October 9, 2007 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Will, Oklahoma City, OK

Alice Newman wrote:

"Some people run for office – others amble."

HA HA!

I don't know if that quote is lifted from some historically witty saying, but man that describes Thompson to the T!

This guy is a joke.

October 9, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. Juan Jimenez, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Oh, please. Talk about Thompson being full of himself. This man is so far from the mainstream he'll need a GPS to find it. And when it comes to clues, he couldn't recognize one if he were standing on a pile of them.

Just think about it: "President Fred." Sorry, but I can't think of a single voter who can get past that. We already have a Shrub. We don't need a president with one less letter and half a wit.

October 9, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  7. Andrew, Los Angeles, CA

Fred didn't say he hadn't heard about it. He actually said, "I don't know all the facts surrounding that case, I can't pass judgment on it. I know that good people were doing what they thought was best." He also said that, generally speaking, local matters should be left to local residents.

October 9, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  8. Mike Beeler, Lake Ozark MO

I would vote for Fred Thompson long before I would vote for the socialist Hillary Clinton. At least Fred understands that bigger government is not the solution to the problems facing this great nation.

October 9, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  9. Bill Both, Terrace, BC

And its even more boring with you, Lazy Fred. Go back to Law & Order and do something you are qualified to do.

October 9, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. Souljah Boy Tell em

what I read:
    Thompson: Race is still boring with me, after I woke up from a ten minute nap during the debate with my wife screaming down my eye piece.

October 9, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  11. Howard, Levittown, NY

D – determined
    W – worker
    I – intense
    G – good worker
    H – hard worker
    T – terrific

NY for DWIGHT

October 9, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  12. Mike, Dunellen, New Jersey

"Dead Thompson" had his on-stage debut and proved that he has nothing to offer other than the same shallow ideas that we've gotten from GW Bush. His comments on Social Security were hysterical! Social Security won't be able to pay out anything to future beneficiaries? Who told you that, Fred? Ice-T on the set of Law and Order? Even the White House contends that, even if NOTHING is done to reform Social Security, beneficiaries will still receive 75% of their benefits once the program becomes insolvent. And his "solution" was progressive indexing of benefits which, oddly enough, will pay out LESS to future beneficiaries than if NOTHING is done to reform Social Security! Doh!

Dead Thompson should stick to corn seeds and leave the big ideas of making America better and stronger to people with real ideas.

October 9, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  13. Tom, Seattle, Washington

Boring?? I guess that worked in a pre-9/11 debate. Thompson is way off – this voter doesn't want an entertainer as a president during times of war.

October 9, 2007 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

Yes, you're so exciting, aren't you Fred?

PLEASE!

October 9, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. On-Warii J. Fuller

Question: Who died and made Fred Thompson 'King'? The current G.O.P. race is/was anything but boring.

October 9, 2007 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. Lisa Ling, Dallas, TX

Is this guy for real???
    Fred Thompson is such a joke. I don't think he even seriously wants to be President (unless someone just "gives" it to him). Is he thinking this will boost his marketability in the entertainment industry??

October 9, 2007 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. Matt, Hoboken, New Jersey

I wonder if this here fella, goes by the name 'a Thompson is gonna mosey on down to the next debate that they have?

I think it'd be right kind of him to grace them with his presence. Dontcha think?

October 9, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. Anon

Wow Fred I didn't know that you were so arrogant.

October 9, 2007 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  19. Gary, Austin, TX

Thompson's flattering himself unduly if he thinks he's made the race more exciting.

It's equally as boring with him as it was without him.

October 9, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. Anonymous

To Jo, Atl Ga
    You are flat out wasting your time. Haven't you heard that GA is a Republican state. Where have you been?

October 9, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. Colin, Nelson and Tasman

Just a quick comment from an outsider (but a fan of CNN none the less). Here we have another CNN headline about a relatively trivial presidential race issue, this time with a boredom analogy, whilst perhaps it is broader life topics that have actually become boring to you. By refusing to hear El-Masris CIA Rendition case or appeal, I think the Supreme Court has just increased yet further your governments immunity from being challenged in the courts (including by you) for its conduct. Missing from main headlines and yet perhaps this may even suggest a future path of domestic oppression (perhaps via successive Patriot acts)similar to that displayed by the courts and authorities during apartheid in South Africa. Likewise, the ongoing legal and financial protection for off-shore acts by senior officials, top military and now, some recent other headlines suggest, private contract security companies is provided at the highest level of US government. How is this perceived abroad? Perhaps also US foreign policy is becoming answerable only to a select few in DC and corporate America, and planned virtually without limits or intelligent thought? The latter is worryingly similar to Hitlers Germany leading up to and beyond 1939. Sure, Thompson was late entering the GOP race because he thought it was boring without him. But maybe there are some bigger more thought-provoking topics worthy of headlines at the moment, and if you find those too boring, try to participate anyway as it is your next generation who get the bill for todays boredom.

October 9, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  22. Russell NC

To Jo, Atl, Ga
    You are flat out wasting your time. Haven't you heard that GA is a Republican state? Where have you been?

October 9, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  23. Obamafans

H-horrendous
    I-Ignorant
    L-Loser
    L-Lier
    A-Artificial
    R-Rude
    Y-Yuk

October 9, 2007 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. Jackson

"R- responsible/reliable"

Yeah, responsible for Stephen Foster. Look his name up sometime.

October 9, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. stephanie martinez blountstown,florida

i would like to know your opinion on the immigration law.some people are not like all the others.as for me i thnk everyone should be based on what they plan on doing once they get there visas.some people are just trying to get there visas just so they can get a good and decent job so they can support there families.

October 9, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |