October 10th, 2007

Attorney general confirmation hearings begin next week

The Senate will begin Mukasey's confirmation hearing next week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senate confirmation hearings for attorney general nominee Michael Mukasey will begin next Wednesday, Oct. 17, Sen. Patrick Leahy, Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, announced Wednesday.

President Bush nominated Judge Mukasey to replace Alberto Gonzales last month. Gonzales was criticized for the controversial firing of eight U.S. attorneys. He resigned in August.

– CNN Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Michael Mukasey
  1. WarOnLiberty

Here we go again with Dictator Bush and his rogue's gallery. Why can't we see an expose in the media about the crimes of BushCo? The role of the media is to act as a check and balance and yet all we get is another story on Britney or OJ. Is the media toothless or is the media as corrupt as the government?

You won't see this on CNN but this is what I'm on about:

October 10, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

Oh, boy! I can hardly wait!

October 10, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  3. Ed,Ellenville,New York

You can tell by Mukasy's face that he's looking forward to putting bush away. I hope he succeeds.

October 10, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. ottawa

I dont trust any nomination this president makes. I know its unfair, but we have been burnt to many times by his questionable decision making so far.

October 10, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. laurinda,ny

I agree with Ottowa. Once Bush is out of office the Democrats will remove all his bad choices. If our country is still around by then.

October 11, 2007 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  6. Harry D, FL

Why doesn't anyone with a normal name get nominated? Has anyone ever seen the last names of the Fed guys? Where are these people from?

October 11, 2007 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  7. Dave, Alpharetta GA

Take your time Democrats in Congress! Any friend of Adolph Gulianni is likely to have A LOT of baggage.

October 11, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Tom - Dedham, Mass

I know nothing about the guy, but I am sure he sucks, he's no Janet Reno.

Now, he was a great Attorney General.

October 12, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |