October 10th, 2007

Michelle Obama's campaign van in car accident

Mrs. Obama was on her way to a campaign event when the accident happened.

(CNN) – Michelle Obama, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, escaped injury Tuesday when her campaign van was involved in an accident in Hampton, Iowa. A motorcyclist who struck the van was injured.

The accident happened as she was en route to a campaign stop. A motorcycle collided with the van on U.S. Highway 65 in the central part of the state.

The Obama campaign said in a statement, "The motorcyclist was transported to a nearby hospital, and Barack and Michelle's thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time. Neither Mrs. Obama nor any members of the campaign staff were injured in the accident."

Police identified the motorcyclist as Timothy Scott Emerson, 41, of Iowa Falls, Iowa. He was taken by medical helicopter to Mercy Medical North Hospital, where a nursing supervisor said he was treated and released.

A report from the Hampton Police Department said the van carrying Michelle Obama was trying to make a left turn when it was struck. The motorcycle, which was three vehicles behind the campaign van, attempted to pass and struck the left side of the van, the report said, while traveling on the wrong side of the road.

The campaign event she was headed to was canceled.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Steve Brusk, Devon Sayers and Chris Welch contributed to this report

Filed under: Iowa • Michelle Obama
  1. ilikesex

Michelle Obama is to blame. She didn't assure when she change the direction. I've read other sources and ... she's her fault ... I do like the connotation or this message – Michelle and her stuff is oke ... come on, what about the poor man ?

October 10, 2007 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  2. Brenda, Cherry Hill, NJ

Ahmad from Philly, You are a loser like the rest of the city. Since you don't know what a winner looks like, look a little harder. Glad she is all right, maybe it is a "plant".

October 10, 2007 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  3. Matt, Orlando, Florida

I think the Obama Campaign may have just lost a vote in Iowa.

October 10, 2007 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  4. Cory, SLC, UT

Hope the motorcyclist recovers and is alright.

This really should not be a reason to put down any potical party, a person was injured, our prayers and hearts should go out to them.

October 10, 2007 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  5. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Who cares?

October 10, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  6. Jen, Gainesville, FL

I pray for the safety of the Obama family, who is making a huge sacrifice for the American people (they have many better options than being on the campaign trail everyday.) I pray for the motorcylist and wish he will better follow traffic rules next time. Some of the comments in this blog are disturbing. People with mean words have reduced themselves to "nothing" and I feel sad for them.

October 10, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  7. Bubba the Outlaw Biker, Swainsboro GA

"Fall down for us!!!"

October 10, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  8. Janice T., OHIO

RACISM is alive and well in the United States of America. That's why the rest of the world hates you clowns. Let's Hillary win without the minority VOTE!!!

October 10, 2007 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  9. Anonymous

Can someone clarify exactly what it is the Koran says about women operating motor vehicles?

October 10, 2007 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  10. Janice T, OHIO

I think it's amazing that CNN let's some rascist comments be posted, I guess that's why know one watches their cable news programs anymore. I switched to MSNBC, I would never watch FOX if you can call it news. RACISM is alive and well in the USA!!! Let's see if Hillary can get elected without minority support...

October 10, 2007 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  11. Skeeve, NYC, NY

Umm... and this is important...why?

October 10, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  12. Matt - Atlanta, GA

I think Amahd from Philly just got wiretapped. Why would you post something like that?

October 10, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  13. life08 Dubuque, Iowa

I can't believe the people on this post. It states clearly that the motorcycle was passing illegally while on the wrong side of the road. I am a republican and I am embarrassed by all the idiotic posts. Come on, get over yourselves. I even know that Obama isn't a muslim and God would never do this to get back at a Democrat. You people give democrats all the ammo they need. I may have to change my party.

October 10, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  14. anon, ottawa, OH

Hussein Obama is not muslim as if Larry Craig is not gay! While Larry Craig conveniently "married" a divorced woman with kids to hide his gay behavior, Obama joined a united church which he not regularly attended.

While I realise the state and religion are separate and is not the only factor to determine the qualification of a president, I just dont like politicians not honest with their voters, so as to increase his chance of getting elected. Obama could be a muslim for the following reasons:

- He was born a muslim, with a muslim african father, and raised by a muslim Indonesian stepfather.

- He was given a muslim middle name, hussein.

- Once muslim at borth, he is considered muslim for life, per their tradition.

- His mother kept a koran at home.

- He was raised by muslim Indonesian stepfathr in Indonesia, a muslim country.

- Based on his book, Audacity of Hope, Obama admitted that he went to a muslim school in Indonesia.

- His United Church minister said Obama did not regularly attend the church.

Many muslim are killing our soldiers. It is ironic that we may have a muslim president.
    - He bought a parcent of land at a big discount from a muslim lobbyist.

October 10, 2007 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  15. Bel Peoria IL

I see Hillary Clinton supporters are showing their true hateful colors again.

Another candidate's wife is involved in a car crash that was not her fault, and Hillaryland somehow tries to put an anti-Obama spin on it.

Shocking to say the least.

October 10, 2007 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  16. Sly Domber, silver spring, MD.

I see lots of KKK folk in here. You may wish the Obamas all the ill you want...at the end of the day, they're in this position because they've worked hard and actually DID something with their lives other than sit and spew hate! Columbia, Princeton (mrs. obama); columbia, harvard (mr. obama). Tell me where Laura Bush went? Mrs. Clinton failed her bar exam, didn't she?

October 10, 2007 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  17. Robert, Cleveland, OH

I guess, if this news came about Clinton's company this blog will be full of postings such as "why this is a news", "shame on you, CNN, you're swayed to Clinton", "I went to the restroom, please post it" etc. Hey, Obama's supporters, why no such uproar now? After all, we have >20,000 people DYING in car accidents yearly in this country.

October 10, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  18. John Chicago

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.....

October 10, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  19. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Providence and Jack, I agree with you. I paid a lot of attention about Obama and his wife. Obama is naive and inexperenced, his campaign looks like belong to the commercial street, Michelle is mean, sharp, cruel and heartless woman by her speech. Her manner is very low. I think she needs special cultural education for herself first and mature her personality as a lady before standing on the stage in public. Certainly Obama is not even ready for Presidential candidate, Michelle is not ready as spouse at all. Obama's campign team on the van cared only their goal to arrive campaign place on time, never cared others. I hope Michelle learned the lesson by this accident.

October 10, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. Lee, syracuse, NY

If I were a betting person, I would bet Michelle Obama's van was at fault of this accident. It is possible that the Michelle's van not familiar with the local Iowa road, slowed down to get direction, and made a sudden turn to the left without signalling or without advance warning, causing the accident. While slowing down and without turning the left signal on, the motorcyclist behind would try to overtake the van from the left side of road...

October 10, 2007 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. al, San Francisco, CA

Michelle Obama must have thought that the motocyclist was Hillary or her supporter, as she smashed her car onto the motorcycle. Well, Obama has just lost another vote.

October 10, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. Michael, NYC

Did some of you actually read the article?!? Ms. Obama's van was stopped to make a left turn. The motorcyclist was three vehicles behind her and tried to pass them all. When he made it to the intersection, the van was making it's LEGAL turn. This guy was in the wrong, not Ms. Obama's driver. Geesh.

October 10, 2007 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. slinkymalinky

Or maybe it was just a dream..

October 10, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. bukky, Baltimore, MD

SHE WAS NOT DRIVING. SHE WAS NOT DRVING. SHE WAS NOT DRIVING.

I find it hard to believe that EVERY publication of this story CLEARLY states that SHE WAS NOT DRIVING. the even go so far as to state the name and age of the person driving the van, BUT CNN chooses to gloss over that fact.

I used to laugh at people claiming CNN was part of a conspiracy against Obama, I'm not laughing anymore

October 10, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  25. Chris, FL

I'm not for Obama, but you guys really suck. People are hurt and you only care about attacking them more.

My God you should be punished. Some of you are even ignorant in your speech. You critique Obama with faulty speech and incorrect grammer. It is you who should be ashamed.

If you don't want to vote for Obama, then don't. I'm not going to. You do need to learn some respect though.

October 10, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |