October 11th, 2007

Draft Gore group steps up efforts

CNN's Tom Foreman takes a look at the latest effort to get Al Gore to run for president.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - With roughly three months until the first wave of voters weigh in on the 2008 presidential candidates, Al Gore supporters are stepping up their efforts to persuade the former vice president to jump into the race.

Draftgore.com published an ad in the New York Times Wednesday with an open letter to the 2000 Democratic presidential nominee strongly urging he throws his hat into the ring.

"You say you have fallen out of love with politics, and you have every reason to feel that way," the letter states. "But we know you have not fallen out of love with your country. And your country needs you now - as do your party and the planet you are fighting so hard to save."

"Many good and caring candidates are contending for the Democratic nomination," the ad continues. "But none of them has the combination of experience, vision, standing in the world and political courage that you would bring to the job. Nor do they have the support among voters that you enjoy and would lead you to victory in 2008".

The group also claims in the letter it has amassed 136,000 signatures for its petition urging Gore to run.

The ad comes two days before Gore finds out if he has won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to bring attention to the dangers of global warming. The winner is set to be announced on Friday in Norway.

The ad also comes a day after Gore backers in California began a campaign to get the former vice president on the state's Democratic primary ballot. The group needs to amass signatures from 26,500 registered Democrats in the state - 500 from each congressional district - by December 4 to successfully place Gore on the ballot.

Meanwhile, Gore himself continues to say he has no plans to run for president again.

Responding to the ad, Gore's spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said the former vice president "truly appreciates the heartfelt sentiment behind the ad, however, he has no intention of running for president.

"He is involved in a campaign of a different kind—a campaign to educate all Americans about the climate crisis and what we can do to solve it," she added.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Steve Brusk

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Erin, NJ

I've voted in every election since I turned 18 – local, county, state, national, board of education, etc. I like voting and usually look forward to it. Until now. There is really no clear choice for me. I am a woman and a Democrat, but that does not mean I will definitely vote for Hilary Clinton – or Barack Obama or any of the Democratic candidates. The powers that be seem to assume that after 8 years under Bush all registered Dems will fall in line and vote for whomever the party puts on the final ballot – just to get a Democrat in the White House. And who knows, maybe I will suck it up and do that. At the moment, however, I'm not all that impressed with any of the candidates from either party (with the slight exception of Edwards), and might just opt to stay home on election day. I voted for Kerry in '04 simply b/c he was not Bush, and it didn't work anyway.

I think Gore is really the only candidate I could vote for with a clear conscience. I signed the petition, made a donation to help fund the NY Times ad, and I hope he runs.

October 11, 2007 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  2. anthony barnett ft lauderdale florida

its a shame that a man who has given us the insight to what we are doing to our planet is not running for president mr gore has the love and respest of millions of people around the world he should run please run mr gore you would put the united states of america back in good graces with the rest of the world god knows we need it please run

October 11, 2007 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  3. Scott, Topsham, ME

Wow...a whole lot of bickering of some guy who isn't even running.

Stop wasting your energy on non-stories and focus on really matters.

October 11, 2007 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  4. Kara, Austin, Texas

You guys commenting against him are ALL wrong.....he is the best choice for America at this hour.....he is the only one capable of healing it AND give it direction after these senseless and idiotic Bush years.....I am all for him coming back and I pray he does!

GO GORE!!

October 11, 2007 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  5. Michael G. Sususco, Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines

USA and Planet Earth need Albert Gore. He deserves the most powerful position in the world as American President. Should have been the winner during the 2000 presidential election. HIS GETTING THE US PRESIDENCY THIS YEAR IS POETIC JUSTICE.

October 11, 2007 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  6. Dan, TX

I don't need another choice. Obama is a much stronger candidate than Gore. Look at Obama's policies, they are very well thought out and mature on all the issues. And, unlike some other candidates, you know where Obama stands on the issues. Some of the other candidates are relying on misinformation and ignorance to slide on by, that's not the leadership I'm looking for.

October 11, 2007 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  7. Brian, and Sue Bruce

I voted for him last time, and my entire family would vote for him again. He's the best man for the job.

October 11, 2007 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  8. james louisville,ky

oh my god, you people want to trade one idiot for another leave him be.

October 11, 2007 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  9. Michael Bacarella, New York, NY

@ Some corrections for joseph
    > Will Al gore please go away, he lost
    Losing by the slimmest margin in history means America rejected him?

Hardly.

> because everyone thought he was a dry, dork, with no personality.

True, he never did get that across.

> I thought he discovered the internet shouldnt he have already won a nobel prize for that? I mean if that staement was true of course.

The internet wasn't discovered. It was developed through a series of government programs, many of which he supported. Politicians don't understand the value of the internet today. Gore understood the value of the internet in the 1980s.

> This guy is an idiot
    he was never popular but now he found something he can exploit that is also making him popular, way to go Al

Winning the popular vote kind of flies in the face of your argument that he was never popular. In fact, I think it means the exact opposite.

Also, he's been raising alarms about the climate crisis since he was in Congress (1980s). He first wrote about it in detail in a 1992 book called Earth in the Balance.

So, "joseph"; will you stop to ask yourself why everything you think you know is wrong? Or does this not concern you in the slightest?

October 11, 2007 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  10. Laurel, MD

Al please hear the call of those asking you to run. I see Gore/Obama to be a winner. Not only will I vote for you but I will get everyone that I can to support you. Nothing against the Clintons for I love them just as well.

October 11, 2007 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  11. Bich Lan, Vietnam

As US President Al Gore can do so much more for the global climate crisis, much much more than a private citizen Al Gore ever could. Of course he should have been President since 2004, now he must.
    Bich Lan

October 11, 2007 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  12. A. Thomas, New York, NY

People here say that Gore does better in most polls than Hilary – and he's not even on the ballot.

This is ridiculous. Polls actually say that Hilary is leading, and Gore is only at distant 4th after Obama & Edwards.

Gore is a political history. He will not get nomination this time, even if he runs. He should have won in 2000, but he blew it and many dems never forgive him. Besides, with 3 months to go, he has not raised money.

October 11, 2007 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  13. David Rissmeyer, Mt. Sidney, Va.

Whereas the Gore–Edwards ticket actually won the 2000 popular vote, the theme for their campaign "Re-elect Gore & Edwards," assuming, of course that Gore & Edwards would accept their respective nominations.

October 11, 2007 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  14. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Oh, you mean Shillary isn't enough for the Democrat voters? Who would've guessed?

October 11, 2007 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  15. laurinda,ny

Stop using my name all the time you freaks. I wish I was smoking something because I've never seen such a bunch of nuts. Since you've annoyed me now I'll tell you something freaks. Al Gore would make a good match with Hillary. That is because he is into global warming. That would make all the environmental people happy. I have been a member of different groups and I am all for saving the environment and the animals. I could care less about the people.

October 11, 2007 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  16. Mike, Atlanta, GA

Quote from Santosh Chatterjee: "he has very little understanding of actual foreign policy in today's world."

Quote from jospeh, austin, tx: "he lost because everyone thought he was a dry, dork, with no personality."

Have you looked at the White House during the last 6 years???

October 11, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  17. E. C., Houston, Texas

Gore Had His Chance........and he would not have a Glimmer of one in 2008! Who paid for the NYT's Ad? Gore?

October 11, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  18. Marcus, Ottawa.

Kinda strange, that's all the GOP would want on this stage...doubts upon all !!

October 11, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  19. Chuck, Austin, Texas

I didn't realise the Nobel Committee gave an award for being the biggest horse's ass of the year. Gore is a shoe-in.

October 11, 2007 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  20. Philippe Floyd, Burlington VT

If he doesn't run, the country should ask him to head the EPA!

October 11, 2007 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  21. S. Zachar, Nashville, TN

136,000 signatures on a petition to get Al to run? 135,500 are probably Republicans...

October 11, 2007 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  22. Chris Sparks,South Charleston,WV

If they nominate Hillary Clinton,the republicans will win again. USA is not ready for a woman president.

October 11, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. RightyTighty

sore loser gore

October 11, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. RightyTighty

One of Al's three homes uses 20 times the electricity as my house. I'm sick of getting lectured by this hypocrites, aren't you?

He's distorting science, and he's raising an issue that does not threaten us scientifically, yet he continues to suggest we take away our current standards of living from our children and grandchildren.

Just this week, NASA released a study indicating that the receding of the Arctic sea ice has nothing to do with global warming and has to do with wind patterns. I trust NASA over the Natural Resources Defense Council anyday..

Indeed, a survey of more than 500 climate scientists internationally were posed the question: Do you believe that the science is settled enough to turn the issue over to policymakers? A majority said no. Indeed, barely more than half believed that humans are primarily responsible for the moderate warming that's occurring. And of that, of course, more than half say that our current warming is not a crisis and does not likely tend to be so.

Poor Al, still looking for his glory in all the wrong places..

October 11, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  25. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Oh come on!

Gore lost the 2000 election to the guy who would become the Worst President Ever. I think we've had enough and it is time to move on.

Al, put this idea in a lockbox,throw away the key, and keep talking about the climate disaster about which the government is doing nothing.

October 11, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |