October 11th, 2007

Obama: It's time to show the differences

Obama told CNN Thursday it's time to show where he differs from Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told CNN Thursday he will step up efforts to clarify his differences with rival Hillary Clinton, in what the Illinois senator is calling the "next phase" of his campaign.

"There's no doubt we are moving into a different phase of the campaign," Obama told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview slated to air on The Situation Room later today. "The first part of a campaign is to offer some biography and give people a sense of where I've been and what I am about. (Related: Obama: Clinton vote on Iran shows 'flawed' judgment)

"In this next phase we want to make sure that voters understand that on big issues, like the decision to go into the war in Iraq, I had real differences with the other candidates and that reflects on my judgment," he continued.

In what could easily be seen as a direct shot at Clinton, Obama also suggested he could better unite the country and offer "something new, as opposed to looking backwards and simply duplicating some of the politics that we've become so accustomed to that frankly the American people are sick of." (Video: Watch key excerpts of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Obama Thursday)

The Illinois Democrat would not say whether he would consider Clinton as his running-mate should he become the party's nominee, saying, "I think Sen. Clinton is a very capable person. Right now my goal is to make sure I am the nominee and she is still the senator from New York."

Catch the full interview tonight on The Situation Room, 4, 5, and 7 p.m. ET.

TIME.com: Clinton Selling Substance Over Style in Iowa

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Rodney Dallas TX

You want Obama to be president and he can't even do his current job of being a Senator. He's paid to vote and make decisions. He's not doing it. He should resign from the Senate if he can't juggle being eith Senator AND running for president. All the other candidates managed to make it to the vote.

October 11, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. Pete, Kennesaw GA

There is very little difference between the whole bunch, republicans/democrats,,,they're politicians. They'll tell you what you want to hear, get into office and start their own agenda. Look at what we have in office now. GWB doesn't care or monitor polls "Of, For or By the People of America. He has his own agenda.

GO – Lou Dobbs

October 11, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. Heather, Nashville, TN

For those of you who think that taking notice of Obama will automatically make us fall in love with him, you'd better call off that wedding and get your money back. I have personally heard him speak and while yes he is very good with words, many people are. If you have a vision but no plan then what do you end up with? Personally the more I learn about Senator Clinton the more I admire and respect her for who she is and what she does.

October 11, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  4. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I like New York, I LOVE NEW YORKER.
    Thomas, NY, I agree with you. Thanks.
    Alice, CA, you are smart, and you gave us the point. Obama's judgement is failed, so he has no experience, no right judgement either. He said about new, but never show us anything new, no new political view, no new idea, no new platform. You lost my vote.

October 11, 2007 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  5. dawn -- Gaithersburg, MD.

Coach Haughton:

Every other senator running for President somehow figured out when the vote was going to be held and a way to be there to weigh in. Yes, of course Senators miss votes when they are running for President. Unimportant ones. Not votes on resolutions they later claim are handing the President a "blank check" to get the country into a war they passionately oppose.

He has months and months to talk to the American people and he's been talking to them for months and months. If he thought Kyl-Lieberman's effect would be as momentous as he now claims, then he should have stayed in Washington to talk to his fellow senators to convince them to vote against the resolution.

He ran away from the vote because he didn't want to be seen opposing a measure that might do him political damage. Now, he's lying about the effect the vote might have to damage a political rival who WAS brave enough to take a stand. Very sleazy.

October 11, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Lori

you wont win over hillary,you'll be putting people in misery, like the book you wrote was all misquotes.you haven't laid out a plan, but in hillary land,she is the one who will have all the votes.

after her 2 terms,2016 you'll try again, you might win, but can we eliminate,Chelsa Clint{a}n..Haha,she would have the 2 biggest admirers on her side.

October 12, 2007 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  7. Liberal Chic

Dave, Atlanta, GA:

Hear, hear.

October 12, 2007 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  8. Alex, Minneapolis, MN

wow, I might be young but I'm not stupid. Honestly, people for some reason are obsessed with Obama and people believe everything that comes out of his mouth. This guy has nothing "different" to offer. He takes no initiative of his own. He does realize that the fact that there's a lot of the leadership/experience skills that Hillary has, he needs!
    If Obama becomes president, this is what I see: someone telling him what to do because he has no idea on how to run a country. He hasn't even finish a term in the federal congress! All I know is that I don't want some one to run the country on "hope"....if I sound mean, it's because I'm a political science mayor and if there's one thing that makes me upset, is that politicians lie and then people stop believing in government and it's purpose. Obama is a hypocrite, and he'll be told what to do, just like Chenney does Bush...

October 12, 2007 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  9. JFK, Phx, AZ

I have immense respect for both Clinton and Obama. But I believe that Clinton has the edge on experience. Plain and simple! Given more time and experience, I think Obama can do the job as well in the next 4 to 8 years. Although either is an improvement over the fiasco we have now!

October 12, 2007 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Diamond

WATCH THIS- Hillary Clinton WILL NOT get a free pass from GOP and Democratic voters need Barack as the viable contender to bring out the shortcomings of Hillary’s candidacy because if he doesn’t and she’s nominated, she’ll just go on to blow an election that Democrats absolutely want to win. So, Obama is actually doing the Democratic Party a huge favor.

Hillary Clinton WILL NOT be coronated. If she wants to be President, she’s going to have to work extremely hard for it. I know that there’s nothing worse to the Clinton camp than exposing Hillary’s shortcomings. They’re scratching their heads now and just wait and see how her real colors will come out.

They’re going to have to come up with real answers better than those stupid memos challenging his politics of hope, because they’ve already been caught on that. Wait a minute Hillary, you thought you had it all wrapped up because Obama couldn’t pack a punch? Well, you thought wrong. Now let’s have a conversation Hillary. Shall we?

October 13, 2007 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  11. Bill

I was in the spirit and praying for Guidance for this country. A calm peace that came over me.
    Then I saw why:

I was at an Inauguration.For the next president. People were cheering and Shouting.I look to be hold. America voted for their first Black President.

the point to this:

The American people Will Decide who the next president will be not the Washington Insiders and Political establishment.

October 13, 2007 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |