October 12th, 2007

Coulter: We want 'Jews to be perfected'

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Conservative commentator and best-selling author Ann Coulter may find herself in the midst of a controversy for comments Monday suggesting America would be better if everyone was Christian.

Asked by CNBC host Donny Deutsch what the U.S. looks like in her dreams, Coulter said it would look like the Republican National Convention in 2004

"People were happy,” she said, according to a transcript provided to CNN by CNBC. “They're Christian. They're tolerant. They defend America." (Video: Watch Coulter's comments on CNBC)

When Deutsch responded, "It would be better if we were all Christian?" Coulter said "Yeah."

Deutsch, himself Jewish, continued to press Coulter on her remarks, asking, "We should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians then?"

"Yeah," Coulter responded, adding "Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track."

"You can't possibly believe that," Deutsch responded. “You can’t possibly. You’re too educated.”

"Do you know what Christianity is?" Coulter replied. "See, we believe your religion, but you have to obey. We have the fast track program."

Later in the interview Deutsch asked Coulter if she doesn't want any Jews in the world, Coulter responded, "No, we think - we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

"Yeah, no,” Coulter replied. “That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners."

Deutsch said he was personally offended.

"No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe - this is just a statement of what the New Testament is - is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Deutsch continued to call Coulter's comments anti-semetic.

"No, no, - I don't want you being offended by this," she responded. "This is what Christians consider themselves, because our testament is the continuation of your testament. You know that. So we think Jews go to heaven. I mean, [the late Rev. Jerry] Falwell himself said that, but you have to follow laws. Ours is "Christ died for our sins." We consider ourselves perfected Christians. For me to say that for you to become a Christian is to become a perfected Christian is not offensive at all."

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (2,797 Responses)
  1. ALana LaCombe, Memphis TN

I saw this segment. She's blind to her own anti-semiticism ... it is so ingrained that she can't even see the problem with her way of thinking.

Oh, wait – that's right ... she has a new book hitting the shelves.

October 14, 2007 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  2. Mark C, Asheville NC

Why does anyone care anymore what this dumb skank has to say?

October 15, 2007 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  3. JJ, Morehead City NC

Before we all get too excited about comments that are made by various people such as Ann, let's be reminded that the term "to offend", as used in the New Testament literally means "to cause ti sin". While some of these comments may be distasteful to some of us, I hardly believe that they cause us to commit sins.This is mearly another missuse of scriptual terms to suit our own positions.

Wow, that's amazingly stupid.

"Offend" comes from a middle english, french and ultimately Latin. It means to strike or displease. I hasn't got anything to do with the bible.

If the biblical translators translated some Greek or Hebrew word into "offend" it has nothing to do with anything.

Get a life. And maybe a brain.

October 15, 2007 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu, Tolleson, AZ

Posted By L. M. Gray, Austin, Texas : October 12, 2007 2:34 pm

"I hear no Jewish voices raised in support of the recognition of that holocaust [speaking of the Armenian genocide]"

Well, Mr. Gray must not have been trying very hard. A quick Internet search found the following article on Yahoo News, Politics drive US Armenia resolution, which clearly states:

"One of the faces of the Democratic effort is Democratic Congressman Tom Lantos, chairman of the House Foreign Relations Committe and a Holocaust survivor known for infusing his politics with a strong moral tone.

The committee this week passed the bill to the full House floor after Lantos had called a vote of "conscience" and argued the United States had a moral duty to describe the killings as "genocide" despite the consequences."

It is well known that Chairman Lantos is a Jew, and a survivor of the Holocaust. If Mr. Gray wants the names of other Jews who support the resolution and condemn the Armenian genocide, he can find them for himself!

Or, he can read The Forty Days of Musa Dagh a novel about that genocide written by Franz Werfel – another Jew.

October 15, 2007 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  5. Doug - Jacksonville

What do you mean "We"?

Ann Coulter is the biggest embarrassment to Christianity since Judas Iscariot.

What I fail to understand is why she hasn't been shut down by her media bosses in the same way Don Imus was.

October 15, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  6. Grover Fairfield, Ohio

This woman is about 1900 pounds short of a ton, when it comes to intelligence and tact.

October 15, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  7. Aaron, Lynnwood, WA

I don't agree with her opinion, but I don't see why people are calling to have her fired from her show. She's entitled to her opinion on religion. And yes, the overall goal of christians is to convert everyone to christianity. there's nothing wrong with saying that. Have we seriously entered this rediculous of an age where you have to accept everyone's beliefs as correct? That's rediculous.

October 15, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. M. Deixler, Alameda, CA

Ann Coulter’s remarks are offensive and anti Semitic in nature. It makes little difference whether she actually believes them or spouts them for attention; they engender strong emotional responses because they are offensive. She should, and MUST be roundly condemned for uttering them, rather then excused as just “getting attention”. That she did say them is offense enough.

October 15, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. dras alliance, ohio

What is a Christan anyway. I've been a Protestant all my life and I swear I've never came across anyone in my church that hated as much as that young lady hates. Is there anyone that is half human that agrees with her other then those Clan like people who buy into her hate.

October 15, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. John, Long Beach, CA

Hmmm, after reading Ann's statements, it appears that she and those who agree with her, want: A – to have me discard my central beliefs (i.e. that which makes me Jewish and that which gives me my sense of identity). B – To convince me that I'm less than or deficiant in some way, and encourage me to abandon my the heritage I've inherited and that I hold most dear. C – That these emissaries claim to know better than all than the collective wisdom of almost three thousand years of practise and study have gleaned. That must be why Ann "yeah" to the questioned if we should just throw Judaism away. What's even funnier is those who cannot see the Jew-hatred in this, but seem to believe it's really Christian Love.

October 15, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. John Baker, San Diego, California.

I can not believe this woman professes to be a Christian, what a shame for my religion. Jesus taught us not to judge others, however Ann Coulter makes it awfully hard not to. I will try not to judge her other than to say she is an out of control babbling idiot.

October 15, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  12. David Siegel, Schwenksville, PA

Why is it that Thomas Jefferson is still more enlightened on religion than many of our most vocal political leaders and commentators today?

“On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling, fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind.”
    Thomas Jefferson quote

“It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.”
    Thomas Jefferson quote

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law”
    Thomas Jefferson quotes

“A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both, and deserve neither”
    Thomas Jefferson quotes

October 15, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  13. Kevin, LA CA

This is just the first shot, to sever the cord of ties that have bound the Neo-cons and the Conservatives for the last 10 years. The shotgun wedding is over..kaput..This should be fun...

October 16, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Steve DiBattiste, Allenstown NH

The "way" Coulter stated her ideas was shocking. Specifically the use of the word "perfected." But her religious views fit "perfectly" within the realm of Pauline Christianity. Remember what Christ says in the Book of John, "I am the way, the truth, the light. No one enters the Kingdom of Heaven, except through me." Coulter loves to bust out her ideas in controversial manners, but when you get to the bottom line she is a "perfected" Christian, as well as a "perfected" conservative. Her vision of heaven being NYC during the GOP convention though is perfectly hellish.

October 16, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  15. CN-has bee-N, Atlanta, GA

What smells like boogers?

Oh, it's the CNN COMMENT POLICY.

How about deleting the death threat someone left on here big boy?

October 17, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Shion

All I can say is any religion trying to convince or get people to convert is just a religion full of people with doubts about there own faith.

If you feel your religion is strong then there's no need to "spresd the word of God"
    What eve happen to you're "faith"

October 17, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  17. Mara, Anchorage AK

The commentary here has got to be the most idiotic collection of drival I've ever read in my life. Whoever said liberalism is a mental disorder sure got it right!

October 19, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  18. Etaoin, Shrdlu, Tolleson, AZ

To Mara of Anchorage:

It's drivel, with an e. Which just about sums up the value of your post.

October 20, 2007 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  19. gary

ann cullter When are they going to get this nut case off the air? If any other person in America had spoke like her they would be off.

November 18, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  20. Lucky Lady, Newnan, GA

As I have stated in the past "The truth is what you believe it to be." That is why there are so many different religions. My thought the world would be better off if there were no religion. It is a given that more people have been murdered because of all kinds of religion, incuding Christianity (remember the inquisition) and things that were priceless destroyed. She is right, it would be easier if we all believed one thing but, we do not and we never will.

November 28, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Mo

It is absolutely incredible how ignorant people are, in getting upset over this.

Christianity is simply the continuation – the completion – of Judaism. (Now, Jews choose to not accept this, to not accept Christ as the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies made.) But that's all she meant. She's using 'perfection' in the biblical sense of 'completion'.

It's one to not know this. It's not something most people would know. But when it is explained to you and you're still upset over it? That's called willful ignorance. That is called stupidity.

January 6, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  22. Mary,KCMO

Ann coulter is a menace to society, she will say anything to get money or attention.Lets stop giving her so much attention and just maybe she'll go away kind of like a bad dream.

February 5, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112