October 12th, 2007

Coulter: We want 'Jews to be perfected'

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Conservative commentator and best-selling author Ann Coulter may find herself in the midst of a controversy for comments Monday suggesting America would be better if everyone was Christian.

Asked by CNBC host Donny Deutsch what the U.S. looks like in her dreams, Coulter said it would look like the Republican National Convention in 2004

"People were happy,” she said, according to a transcript provided to CNN by CNBC. “They're Christian. They're tolerant. They defend America." (Video: Watch Coulter's comments on CNBC)

When Deutsch responded, "It would be better if we were all Christian?" Coulter said "Yeah."

Deutsch, himself Jewish, continued to press Coulter on her remarks, asking, "We should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians then?"

"Yeah," Coulter responded, adding "Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track."

"You can't possibly believe that," Deutsch responded. “You can’t possibly. You’re too educated.”

"Do you know what Christianity is?" Coulter replied. "See, we believe your religion, but you have to obey. We have the fast track program."

Later in the interview Deutsch asked Coulter if she doesn't want any Jews in the world, Coulter responded, "No, we think - we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

"Yeah, no,” Coulter replied. “That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners."

Deutsch said he was personally offended.

"No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe - this is just a statement of what the New Testament is - is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Deutsch continued to call Coulter's comments anti-semetic.

"No, no, - I don't want you being offended by this," she responded. "This is what Christians consider themselves, because our testament is the continuation of your testament. You know that. So we think Jews go to heaven. I mean, [the late Rev. Jerry] Falwell himself said that, but you have to follow laws. Ours is "Christ died for our sins." We consider ourselves perfected Christians. For me to say that for you to become a Christian is to become a perfected Christian is not offensive at all."

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (2,797 Responses)
  1. Kristine Robbins---Millbury MA,

What a sad, sad woman. I am a Christian and I tend to lean a bit more towards the middle and the left given our current government. That being said, for her to say that the Jewish people should conform to be "Christians" is a horrible statement and slap in the face to all people of the Jewish faith. What she said to Mr. Deutsch was an insult. Not surprising though as she is attempting to impose her beliefs on others in a similar way that our current government appears to be doing to other countries.

October 12, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. Sarah, Atlanta GA

It would be hypocritical for me to say that I will pray for Ann Coulter when the truth is I will pray for her to stop talking.

October 12, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Troy Longmire, Brooklyn, New York

In the space and time used to illustrate the useless rhetoric of a right-wing zealot, or otherwise a pretty unintelligent and unpersuasive individual, i.e., Ann Coulter, it would have better served God and humanity if we had a discussion on gun control and universal health care, or some otherwise a discussion on how to genuinely better our American Society.

October 12, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Scott, Boston MA

I have actually heard Jews who have accepted that Christ is the Messiah refer to themseves as "Perfected Jews," "Completed Jews," tho I think the proper term is "Messianic Jews."

To think that what she said is hateful is to misunderstand her point. People just seem to love to hate her, and will continue to no matter what she says. I do agree that she has said some petty outlandish things in the past, but this interview is completely benign.

As a Christian – I worship a man who was a Jew. I love the Old Testament, as it is the first part of the story that was completed in the New Testament. Christians are not prefect, but we are made perfect in Christ – not through any doing of our own.

October 12, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Jane of Delray Beach, FL

I don't understand why so many media outlets allow Ms. Coulter a forum to spew her nonsense. Who cares what Ms. Coutler has to say on any topic? Every word is calculated in order to obtain the utmost reaction from the audience. Even she can't believe such crap. Why don't you simply ignore her? If this is newsworthy then America is in BIG TROUBLE. 99% of us think she's a bleached blonde "joke". How pathic for someone who is educted to believe the entire world would be better off made up of people just like her. She must make her parents very proud !!! Her intellect really shows through when she quotes Jerry Falwell. If this is her Messiah then God help us all.

Perhaps what Ms. COulter really needs is a good f–k !

October 12, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Jeff, Chicago, IL

Beth- Wow. Wow. Wow.

I can't believe she would even contemplating writing such garbage. It literally sounds like Nazi propaganda. I personally feel obligated to apologize to the Jewish community for her. And my prayer is that a majority of Americans would join me in that apology.

Mike Bunts- try using some paragraph breaks, bud. I read your whole post
    (probably the only person on Earth) and you're on the right track, but no one is going to read a wall of text like that (unless they're really bored at work). :)

October 12, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Tipsy McStagger, Fort Lauderdale, FL

She's a freakish comedian. Should be called Rosie O'Coulter.

What a bag o'shiiit.

October 12, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. Joy, Pompano Beach, Florida

Have you ever noticed that no one from the Republican party ever condemns Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter for their hateful remarks. But just let someone from the Democratic party make a comment that in no way compares to those two fools, and they are all in a dither and want them to apologize. I am still befuddled as to why she is on every TV program and allowed to spout her hate. They won't give anyone else the same platform. PLEASE DON'T THINK THIS HARD HEARTED WOMAN SPEAKS FOR ALL CHRISTIANS. SHE NEEDS TO GET DOWN ON HER KNEES AND ASK FOR FORGIVENESS FOR HERSELF.

October 12, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. Roger, Shawnee, KS

In my dreams of the US, I see no Ann Coulter.

October 12, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. Jim, Philadelphia, PA, USA

I'm a non-mainstream Christian – I'm happy to say my Jewish friends wouldn't
    associate with Mr. Deutch and his band of anti-semitic propagandists.

October 12, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Matt, Dallas, TX

Why does anyone pay attention to such a Bigot? There is no reason to acknowledge this shock oriented person. I would liken her to the Anna Nicole of the Republican Party. She has no real opinion and based on her comments I would say she is the furthest thing from a Christian.

October 12, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. Julie, Petaluma CA

Ann you have some seriously bad karma coming your way. I would love to see you, O'Reily, and Limbaugh dropped off on the Pakistan/Afghan border. The filth that you spout is nothing short of terrorism. Your comments about Jews are just plain ridiculous. I keep hearing that you are highly educated. I am having a hard time grasping that. I am thinking that maybe you were just always high while you were being educated. Poor, pathetic, Ann you will only be remembered as the village idiot, if you are remembered at all.

October 12, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. JC - Hot Springs, Arkansas

What a whack job this woman is. She is just nuts. I hope she gets to make a speech at the Republican National Convention. She makes Hugo Chavez sound reasonable!!

October 12, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Mike, Detroit, MI

I agree that Ann made an all-round poor choice of words. It is possible that she misunderstands the full meaning behind what she is trying to say. The idea of a "fast track program" is slightly offensive to me as a Christian, being that the Bible states that we are more obligated to follow the laws of God than anyone. Paul says "You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness." (Romans 6:18) The Old Testament also states of the new covenant: "I will put my law in their minds and write in on their hearts." (Jer. 31:33) Jesus is correct in saying that he has come to fullfill the law and not to abolish it, since he gave us the law in our hearts throught the Holy Spirit. Since the "law of God" could also be called the "will of God," you could also say that Jews and Christians are bound to the same law. One is written; one is spiritual, yet they both come from the same God.

October 12, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. Michael H, Miami, FL

If the evil could be surgically removed from Ann Coulter, only an empty shell would remain. The woman has no soul - with all the hatred and evil inside her, there's no room for a soul. To her, attention is more important that air, water or food. If the media would ignore her, she would dry up and blow away, taking her evil with her. What a pathetic existence...and what a pathetic excuse for a human being.

October 12, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. Grovin, Darnassus, IL

I would suggest that we want Ann Coulter to be perfected, but I'd probably get charged in some way for encouraging suicide.

October 12, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  17. Rick, Ashley Falls, Ma

Another good reason to be very careful who we elect to be our leaders. There's no telling what my be surrying around under those coat tails. Right Ann ?

October 12, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Dave, CA

If Hitler were alive he would have invited her to be his female Goebels. No

October 12, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. peg, brookline, ma

In 1987, Al Camapanis got fired from his job as GM of the LA Dodgers after saying that African Americans may not have some of the necessities to be a field manager or perhaps a general manager. More recently, Don Imus got fired from his syndicated morning radio show for calling the Rutgers Women's basketball team a bynch of nappy-headed hos. Good riddance to them all. And you can take Ann Coulter with them. Actions have consequences. So should words.

October 12, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. lowerpericles

Ted Danson. I remember now.

October 12, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Jeff, New York City

Sounds like an antisemetic comment from a worthless piece of garbage.

October 12, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Maria Peschl

Yes, she is a dangerous idiot, but don't the jews consider themselves the "Chosen People"? If they do so, the Christians should be allowed to consider themselves "Perfected".... By the way, I think both of them are wrong. They both resemble two inmates sitting in a mental institution, debating which one is Napoleon.

October 12, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

If you all think Coulter is out of control now, just wait until it becomes obvious that Hillary is going to the White House!

Coulter will sink to new depths never before thought possible!

October 12, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. Alexa, Marietta GA

The Christians who strongly believe it is thier duty to convert those who do not follow Jesus's path do so out of a true and unwaivering concern for the soul of the other person.
    However speaking generically about the imperfections of a religion that differs from yours while cameras are rolling is not a conversion, it is a denegration of a group of human beings. It does not show respect nor consideration, it only deepens the gap between two groups.

She should work on perfecting herself first before talking about perfecting anyone else.

October 12, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. therealist

Wow! look at all these posts. This must be like a record..., about Ann?? Or could those low paid CNN interns be spreading conservative hate again, hmmmm...

October 12, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112