October 12th, 2007

Coulter: We want 'Jews to be perfected'

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Conservative commentator and best-selling author Ann Coulter may find herself in the midst of a controversy for comments Monday suggesting America would be better if everyone was Christian.

Asked by CNBC host Donny Deutsch what the U.S. looks like in her dreams, Coulter said it would look like the Republican National Convention in 2004

"People were happy,” she said, according to a transcript provided to CNN by CNBC. “They're Christian. They're tolerant. They defend America." (Video: Watch Coulter's comments on CNBC)

When Deutsch responded, "It would be better if we were all Christian?" Coulter said "Yeah."

Deutsch, himself Jewish, continued to press Coulter on her remarks, asking, "We should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians then?"

"Yeah," Coulter responded, adding "Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track."

"You can't possibly believe that," Deutsch responded. “You can’t possibly. You’re too educated.”

"Do you know what Christianity is?" Coulter replied. "See, we believe your religion, but you have to obey. We have the fast track program."

Later in the interview Deutsch asked Coulter if she doesn't want any Jews in the world, Coulter responded, "No, we think - we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

"Yeah, no,” Coulter replied. “That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners."

Deutsch said he was personally offended.

"No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe - this is just a statement of what the New Testament is - is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Deutsch continued to call Coulter's comments anti-semetic.

"No, no, - I don't want you being offended by this," she responded. "This is what Christians consider themselves, because our testament is the continuation of your testament. You know that. So we think Jews go to heaven. I mean, [the late Rev. Jerry] Falwell himself said that, but you have to follow laws. Ours is "Christ died for our sins." We consider ourselves perfected Christians. For me to say that for you to become a Christian is to become a perfected Christian is not offensive at all."

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (2,797 Responses)
  1. Brandon, Oxford MS

As a Christian, I can only express the following:

Ahem.

Ann! Wake up and stop wandering off with the Communion Wine!! If you consider yourself a "perfected" anything, you need to go "perfect" a method of killing yourself. Please. PLEASE!!!

October 11, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  2. Sherri, Oroville, Cal

I find it increasingly curious as to why this woman is invited to give an opinion on any subject, let alone an interview. She absolutely has the right to her opinions and viewpoints and beliefs. I think they should not be given air in a public forum. Since we seem to be near practical corporeal teleportation- perhaps she would be a good first candidate to be teleported back to the 2004 Republican convention and she would be blissfully kept in limbo there for all eternity. It's sort of a shame that someone is so addicted to being in the spotlight that she seems incapable of doing anything other than listening to the sound of her own voice.

October 11, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  3. BITTER

She MAJORLY looks positively EQUINE with that HORRIBLY UGLY HORSE FACE. I look at her and get the urge to hear "Wildfire". I hope this mare gets lost in a blizzard too.

October 11, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  4. Steve, Akron Ohio

This is another example of why the country is so divided. Regardless if she believes it or not, Ann Coulter is a continual example of the worst this country has to offer.

October 11, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. JD, Costa Mesa, CA

Shhh!, if you listen carefully you can hear Ann goose-stepping into irrelevance.

Personally, as a Jew, I find most Christians to be very kind and tolerant. But those who mix their faith with politics tend to get a bit goofy for me.

October 11, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  6. B. Scott, NY, NY

Like we don't have enough problems in this counrty and the world with religion. Who needs her telling everyone that this is who you should be. Unfortunately, people believe what they hear and see on TV.

October 11, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  7. MJBE, Warren Vermont

Simply stated, she should be ashamed of herself. How does she sleep at night? Then again, how does our "selected" President sleep at night?

October 11, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. CFT, Manistee, MI

Miss Coulter does not speak for all Christians. In fact, I would doubt she speaks for any Christians besides herself. What a twisted mind.

October 11, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. Cheri MacLean

Someone should have insisted this woman get her rabies vaccine years ago – then we could have prevented all the foaming at the mouth.

October 11, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. Brad Willis, Los Angeles, CA

I love Ann Coulter. She's the walking, talking embodiment of the bigotry and intolerance embedded in the Republican party.

October 11, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. Ken, Columbus Ohio

First, Jews DO NOT believe that Jesus was a prophet. Before making an argument, you should make sure your facts are correct, rather than finding solace in your ignorance. Second, this isn't a liberal versus conservative argument; it is all about whether you are tolerant and accepting of others for who they are, which, obviously, Coulter is not.

October 11, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  12. Jan, New York, NY

Let me get this straight: she said that (as a believing Christian) it would be best if everyone were a Christian. By implication this also means Jewish people, Hindus, Muslims etc. The interviewer happened to be asking about Jews but he could have asked about any of the rest. I don't think there's anything that controversial here – I'm sure the Pope or the head of any other Christian denomination would agree that ideally everyone would be Christian, since they believe that is the true religion and one must follow it to be saved. And the idea that Christianity is an outgrowth of Judaism is hardly a new one either – Jesus himself was a Jew who preached a new gospel, one that went beyond Old Testament Judaism. Again, nothing that new or controversial here, in my view. It appears that the interviewer was looking to be offended but Ann Coulter has a fair point that this isn't her intent at all and it's no more offensive than any Muslim saying that all Christians should be converted to Islam (which I'm sure they do).

October 11, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. Marilyn Bater Malden, Massachusetts 02148

I don't know what form of Christianity Ms Coulter is a member of, but I'm willing to bet Hitler would know.
    Marilyn Bater from Malden, Massachusetts
    "A Christian"

October 11, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. Mike Margolin Oxnard, CA

I thought Coulter was annoying before but at least educated. Now I see she is actually somewhat dillusional and biggoted. Poor woman is just out of touch.

October 11, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. Dianna Bennett, Mt. Vernon, Texas

Why do people get so upset when this woman opens her mouth? What part of "free speech" do they not understand? She is expressing her opinion, albeit right, wrong, or indifferent. That's her right. But to get upset because she's trying to get you there? That's just allowing yourself to be manipulated, which is what she does. If everybody ignored her when they think she's spouting idiocy, then the news networks would stop running it, because no one would care.

October 11, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Syd Madison, WI

Jon, your response scares me because you so plainly can't see her ignorance and flat our intolerance. Re-read what she wrote, she didn't state what you are attributing to her. She's not a real Christian and the previous is correct that she says the most outrageous crap her pea brain can concoct in order to get attention. I think she's mentally ill, actually. I almost pity her.

October 11, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Joe, Wheeling WV

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...someone needs to shove something down that idiot's mouth and shut her up. If republicans had any brains, they would beat her senseless and lock her away.

October 11, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Deana, San Antonio, TX

It's amazing that her views are still labeled as "conservative" instead of "religious assimilationist," or "reactionary."

October 11, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  19. Jon, Mesa AZ

I agree that good christians are rolling in their graves and any still kickin' should be incensed by her comments.
    It seems to me the implications of her comments are; Christians don't have to follow laws, i.e. the Ten Commandments. We/they can just run around lying,cheating,stealing, killing,fornicating etc. and then simply be forgiven. Of course forgiveness is available but the path she describes sure wasn't the gist of what I picked up during six years of christian school. Catholics, at least, are still pretty serious about the ten commandments and you have to want, and ask for, and be serious about receiving forgiveness. Not to mention be repentant about breaking the laws which you were supposed to keep in the first place.

October 11, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  20. Brian, Salado, TX

Now here's a 'real' big idea:

What Ann Coulter needs is a nice Jewish African American bisexual overweight union boyfriend to perfect her narrow & irrelevant view of the world.

Love your show Donny – keep her away...

October 11, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. Jerry, Indianapolis, In

Ann Coulter should be reomoved from her show for comments like that. No way is she that ignorant, so I say, she's just looking to grab some headlines.

October 11, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. Jim Potter Los Alamos, NM

What a maroon.

October 11, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  23. Bill, Los Angeles California

She is smart, but I can't ever seem to follow her logic. I think she has been smoking too much crack...

October 11, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  24. Flynn, St. Louis, MO

I used to think Coulter was a crazy psycho too, but have come to realize that she is crazy like a fox (or a foxy psycho)–whenever her ratings dip she makes a comment like the one she made on Deutch's show and she's back in the headlines.

I do think though that if you watch her frenetic behavior on air, including her rapid eye movement and dilated pupils, it's clear that she has more in common with Rush Limbaugh than just an ultra-conservative ideology...

October 11, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  25. Bill, Standish, ME

I can't believe this dim wit still has an audience. She goes beyond "stupid and intolerant". Why are we still subjected to her ignorant ramblings?

October 11, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112