October 13th, 2007

McCain on Gore's big win

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) ­ - Speaking before a crowd of
environmentalists at the Global Warming and Energy Solutions conference,
Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, recognized Former Vice President Al Gore for
his Nobel peace prize, but said he would have given the award to others.

"I congratulate Al Gore on his selection for the Nobel peace prize because
of this effort, and I think it¹s going to help enormously the publicity
associated with that awarding."

But later McCain added, "I would have given the peace prize to the Buddhist
monks that are being killed in Burma, but the fact is that he's done fine
work on this issue."

During the question and answer section, an audience member expressed concern
that McCain's statements about Al Gore's Nobel peace prize award were
confusing the proactive message about energy conservation.

"I've never heard before someone say: I wish someone else had won," the
audience member said.

"I've said it almost every year," McCain responded. "I'm entitled to my
opinion."

"Because I thought that Buddhist monks who were dying were deserving of the
award, in no way, in my view, diminishes the accomplishments that he [Al
Gore] has made," he said.

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Al Gore • John McCain • New Hampshire
  1. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Every time I think McCain couldnt possibly say anything more stupid, he pops put with another stupid remark. He really needs to go away. His 15 minutes are over.

October 15, 2007 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  2. Barabas, Hot City, TX

Thank you McCain! Someone finally had the guts to say it. Al Gore doesn't deserve that award!

October 15, 2007 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. therealist

Looking back over the years, its easy to see how the Noble Peace Prize has become the Noble Political Prize. Peace?? What peace has come from the work of any of these??

_ 2007: Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel
    _ 2006: Muhammad Yunus, the Bangladeshi bank.
    _ 2005: Mohamed ElBaradei and the International Atomic Energy Agency.
    _ 2004: Wangari Maathai, Kenya. An environmental and political activist
    _ 2003: Shirin Ebadi, Iran.
    _ 2002: Jimmy Carter.
    _ 2001: U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
    _ 1994: Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat; Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres, Israel.
    _ 1991: Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar
    _ 1989: The Dalai Lama, Tibet.
    _ 1988: The U.N. Peacekeeping Forces.

October 15, 2007 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  4. John Chicago

Al Gore is an arrogant,clueless,traitor to his country. Hey Al why wont you debate climate change experts??????

October 15, 2007 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  5. Truth hurts?

Good Heavens – we ask our politicians be HONEST and when one is (John McCain suggesting he saw more links to peace with the Buddhist Monks than Al Gore's fictionary tale) – we blast him for being honest.

No wonder CNN blogs read like the gangland graffiti!

October 15, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |