October 15th, 2007

For African-Americans, 'another Clinton presidency'

Clinton was endorsed by Rep. John Lewis Friday.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton drew a direct connection to her husband’s time in the White House in a television interview broadcast Sunday, saying, “I want African-Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency.”

Her comments came in a taped interview with TV One’s “One on One” program.

The show was broadcast over a weekend in which Clinton won two potentially major endorsements in the battle for the southern African-American vote. Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, chose to officially back her instead of Sen. Barack Obama on Friday, and she was endorsed by the Alabama Democratic Conference on Saturday

Congressman Lewis was one of the most prominent leaders of the civil rights movement starting in the 1960s.

During the interview, Clinton said that the African-American vote “is pivotal because of numbers and because of value. I personally feel African-Americans have to be much more involved, and I think it is great that we have a campaign this year with me running [and] with Barack running…. [H]opefully we'll get even more African-Americans to register to vote, to show up to vote, and [to] take part in the debate.”

The Democratic frontrunner went on to say, “I want African Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency. [W]e’re going to be doing everything we can to get this country to be on the side of…people who are working hard and struggling so that they can have a better chance.”

Author Toni Morrison once famously referred to Bill Clinton as America’s “first black president.”

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. IHATECLINTON

I am a black woma and I wouldn't vote for this fat pig if you paid me. She is nothing but a pandering W____ and I am sick of her. Go home and try to keep your husband before you try and run the country

October 15, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. Sandra Johnson

Black woman voters are 100% behind you Hillary!

GO HILLARY IN 2008

October 15, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. therealist

Are black voters better of now than they were 20, 30 yrs ago? Are you expecting something different from Hillary??

October 15, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Amy Long NC

I urge ALL woman voters to support HILLARY! she is exactly what our great country needs at this time!!!!

Black voters support you Mrs Clinton!!!

October 15, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. Mark Shreveport, LA

After the primaries, when she's the nominee, she can stop all of this silly pandering. Ninety-percent of African-Americans will march lockstep into the voting booth and vote democrat, no questions asked.
    They'll vote for whomever a select few African-American political and religious leaders endorse.

History of the past 28 years shows that roughly ninety percent African-Americans will ALWAYS vote democrat regardless of who is running, how well the economy is doing, if the country is at peace, etc.

So you won't see anything more than a few photos ops with Clinton and leaders like Obama, Jackson, Sharpton, etc and 90% of the black vote is all hers.

October 15, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. John C. Davies Chicago

Black people wake up ....The democrats take your vote for Granted and what do you get in return. I am a black man and realized a long time ago that the democratic party will promise the world and will deliever nothing. Please do some research and stop voting for a party cause your whole family does. I find that GW Bush has the same morals and principles as myself the democratic party has forgotten what it stands for. That is why last election I voted for Bush and will continue to vote republican till the Democratic party gives me another reason to vote otherwise.

October 15, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Larry Holmes Mich

If shes the best for Rep. John Lewis then she has my solid vote in 2008...

obama who?

Go CLINTON

October 15, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Louise Williams TX

ihateclinton, afraid to use her name,sounds like this fat pig tried to write a post about the Wonderful, Educated Presidnet to be Hillary...

learn to write then you may find a way to vote...

October 15, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. Chris, Middletown, CT

Funny....Caucasian Americans don't have one voice....I think the tide is turning and many will start to think for themselves and abandon this victim mentality....ya think? Giuliani 08!

October 15, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. lavelle Rochester,ny

And what might that be? I'm still wondering how HillBill is or has done anything for black people! lol i find it funny you know! And these African American "leaders" lol endorsing her means nothing. Its one vote and most of these guys have been in the Clintons pockets from day 1!

October 15, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Coolio, Atlanta, GA

only an African American knows how and what it means to be one. We need role models in our community as has been espoused by many including bill Cosby. We should not defeat ourselves and wouldn't it be great to support obama and get him into the white house so parents can say I want you to be like obama and its possible and okay ot get an education and speak well.

October 15, 2007 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. Mrs. Mary Lewis-Clark NH

Please see true american racism at it's best from "ihateclinton" post...this ignorant black woman is why we are viewed as such! grow up! racist

EDUCATED BLACK WOMAN support CLINTON in 2008

October 15, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. Erik, Austin TX

Okay Hillary, if that's how you want to sell it, I'll vote for you if you name your husband Vice President and then immediately resign.

October 15, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Hey, I Hateclinton, there's no need for the personal insults. If you don't like Hillary just don't vote for her, but is it necessary to bash her looks? What has that to do with her views on the issues? Besides, since when is a wife responsible for her husband's infidelity? As a woman you should know better!

October 15, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Jon Sacramento ~ Ca

CLINTON SAID,

And here I thought Hillary was running on HER record of experience?? "Another Clinton Presidency" – sounds like she is asking African Americans vote for her because of Bill.

If this is not pure pandering.. then I assume she will gladly stand before ALL of America and say "Another Clinton Presidency" so we can examine the successes and FAILURES of the past Clinton Presidency??

(Some how I doubt she really wants that)

October 15, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM

To all who doubt, Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States of America. She and her husband are bulwarks to all that is good about the USA. She is a believer in the American dreams for all Americans, rich or poor. She believes in equality of rights and aspirations for all Americans. She has the ability to socialize with the rich as well as the poor among us. Hillary is the total package and will be an awesome President.

October 15, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. James Anderson

Why is CNN removing the positive comments about Hillary? is this FOX???

October 15, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. Juanita Bedford Philadelphia PA 19151

That's the problem. We "Black Folk" don't want another Clinton presidency!!!! If Mrs. Clinton would remember, it was her husband that signed NAFTA. The trade agreement that sent thousands of jobs to Mexico that at least could have been had by the undereducated and unskilled; [W]e’re going to be doing everything we can to get this country to be on the side of…people who are working hard and struggling so that they can have a better chance.”
    The only good thing that happened in the Clinton years was that the Welfare Reform Act was signed into law, which would at least force some from the welfare plantation for which Mrs. Clinton seems to think we all are just trying to get back to. Sorry...I like being self-sufficient and independent

October 15, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. RightyTighty

Yeah, we all feel it Hillary. That sick feeling deep in the pit of our stomachs, much like we did when Bill was wagging his finger at us while lying about sex.

If your low enough to lie about sex or lie about not knowing your hubby is having it with others, you'll lie about anything...

October 15, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. Erik

This woman is a JOKE! I'm so pissed off at all of her pandering I do not know what to do! I'm black. I live in NY. Mrs. Clinton has NEVER done anything to improve the lives of blacks in this state! The members of the black congress who line up with her are selling out their people and the civil rights movement for their own benefit! I grew up on shows like "Eyes On The Prize". I was taught that African Americans fought too hard and need to support and help each other. There needs to be an all out protest against the Black Congress! Black people we need to stop looking back to people who look down at us. Please vote Obama!

October 15, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. Ben

I trust that black America will see through this ridiculous pandering. I guess the philosophy of HRC is "If you can't run on your own merits, use those perceived merits of someone else."

October 15, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

A ratio of population density exists against a set electorate of thirty thousand to one, so electing from that local thirty thousand: one district representative; a districts shrink with population growth.

October 15, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Lainie McBride Iowa

Go Hillary, you have our support!

October 15, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. GeorgiaVoter

No doubt the black leaders, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and John Lewis are better off now than 20 yrs ago. How about you black voter?

Less government means less tax, that is the right direction. Don't be blinded by personality, vote policy.

October 15, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. Claude, Mesa AZ

John Lewis doesn't speak for me. I'm an African American male and she would be the LAST person I'd vote for on Earth. She's a crook, panderer and does not have the interest of the American people at heart. Go to hell Hillary and take John Lewis with you.

October 15, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |