October 15th, 2007

For African-Americans, 'another Clinton presidency'

Clinton was endorsed by Rep. John Lewis Friday.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton drew a direct connection to her husband’s time in the White House in a television interview broadcast Sunday, saying, “I want African-Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency.”

Her comments came in a taped interview with TV One’s “One on One” program.

The show was broadcast over a weekend in which Clinton won two potentially major endorsements in the battle for the southern African-American vote. Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, chose to officially back her instead of Sen. Barack Obama on Friday, and she was endorsed by the Alabama Democratic Conference on Saturday

Congressman Lewis was one of the most prominent leaders of the civil rights movement starting in the 1960s.

During the interview, Clinton said that the African-American vote “is pivotal because of numbers and because of value. I personally feel African-Americans have to be much more involved, and I think it is great that we have a campaign this year with me running [and] with Barack running…. [H]opefully we'll get even more African-Americans to register to vote, to show up to vote, and [to] take part in the debate.”

The Democratic frontrunner went on to say, “I want African Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency. [W]e’re going to be doing everything we can to get this country to be on the side of…people who are working hard and struggling so that they can have a better chance.”

Author Toni Morrison once famously referred to Bill Clinton as America’s “first black president.”

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. sonya, atlanta, ga

I'm black and will not vote for HRC. Instead of wanting black to feel like she is Bill. What specific policy does she espouse that will directly benefit the black community. I haven't heard anything from her on Jena 6 or our criminial justice system or why she voted for a war which has killed and maimned so many soliders of color. Blacks arent going back and conjuring up the good old time from Bill's presidency. As another lyrical black said, "What have you done for me lately". -Janet Jackson.

October 15, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. therealist

Another arrogrant president wagging their lying finger at America, I can't wait...

October 15, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Kwaku D

I'm an African-American but I've been asking myself this question for years without any intelligent answer: What exactly did Clinton do for African Americans?
    Perception and lip-service are not reality. Wake up and smell the Clinton fake, my fellow African-Americans!

October 15, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Hillary talks presidential to me.

Her vision is an all inclusive society, where people of all races have equal rights, privilges and responsibilities.

Contrast Hillary to Obama who surrounds himself with white advisors and talks primarily to white issues. In other words, Obama sucks and blows the same time: he wants blacks votes because he is black, but he pleases the white issues.

Even the black leaders don’t like Hussein Obama Jessee Jackson said Obama acted like a white guy.
    In addition the Rev. Al Sharpton launched a "big-time" effort to tear down Illinois Sen. Barack Obama as a candidate for president. He's saying that Obama never did anything for the community, never worked with anybody from the community, that nobody knows the people around him, that he's a candidate driven by white leadership.

October 15, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. spinstopper

What exactly did Clinton do for the black community??

October 15, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. CJ, Richmond VA

I cringe each time the media or political candidates refer to "the African-American Vote" or even the "Women's vote" It shows utter disrespect for each INDIVIDUAL African-American or woman. African-Americans and Women don't need candidates who PANDER to them, lumping them into groups based upon such shallow characteristics as race and gender. There is so much more to people than that!! I thought it was people like Hillary who were supposed to be advocating that fact!

October 15, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Fred, Atlanta, GA

Wake up, America. Can't you see through the hypocrite Hillary? She and Bill are nothing more than self-centered, egotistical liars.

They have done NOTHING for the African American community and she will throw you away once you vote for her.

October 15, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Brett, Pembroke, MA

Well, it looks like Hillary has gone from implying a continuation of her husband's presidency to flat out saying it.

Don't fall for it, people. When you vote for Hillary Clinton, you're voting for Hillary Clinton–not Bill Clinton. Keep that in mind.

October 15, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. amy, Seattle, WA

Hillary's message was very clear. She pointed out that the 2008 Democratic campaign seems to make more African-Americans involved and taking part of the debate. That's all.

And I think she ended very clear: "[We]’re going to be doing everything we can to get this country to be on the side of…people who are working hard and struggling so that they can have a better chance.” She didn't make promises to any ethnic or racial group, just to those who intend to contribute their work to the American society.

This is an educated woman that stands up to the demands of this century. She can be a good President. She may be Bill's wife, but she has her own mind.

And you don't have to spread all this hate in your posts. This is not the true American spirit. Or it is?

October 15, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Barabas, Hot City, TX

Oh boy! Another Clinton presidency! Does that mean she will have sexual relations in the White House, almost get impeached, lie under oath, give a presidential pardon to numerous criminals, and leave the country vulnerable for another terrorist attack just like Bill did? Oh boy! Sign me up!

October 15, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. make her go away!!

That's what I'm afraid of...another clinton administration!!!

October 15, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. S.B. L.A. Ca.

Horrible... horrible... horrible... Hopefully African Americans as a whole wake up to this smoke screen unlike as it seems black elected leadership. I'd rather see African Americans vote for David Duke in mass than this candidate. At least you'd know where you stood. The wool is being pulled over African Americans eyes again. I wonder how many people would willingly go under the knife of someone's whose spouse was a brain surgeon. Oh, never mind I've never done this before but my spouse does it all the time... all is well. Yea right.

October 15, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. A. Harrison Atlanta Georgia

Right on Hillary.

October 15, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Erik

Am I crazy or isn't this the woman who said bill isn't running I am...

But for black people its...“I want African Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency.

I am TRULY OFFENDED BY THIS! For blacks its shut up and vote for OLE" MASSA! I am a black man and I have to say if black people continue to support the CLINTON TRICKLE DOWN CRUMBS TO OUR PEOLPE EFFECT... you have just sold out your people yet again! Wake up black folk this lady only cares about herself!

October 15, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. Dave, Cheverly, MD

That would be 1 additional person of color vote. That simply means she will get those few black who own favors. Surely you are not saying African Americans should just not even show up at the polls just let these people vote by proxy. (For their whole Race) DAH! This means nothing! Heck their spouses will probably vote for some other candidate.

October 15, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Katherine, Davenport, IA

Guiliani said that he's ready if Mars attacks. OK, look at who we have running. The only one who makes any sense if Ron Paul and because he can't be bought by big corporations, he's not a thought. It would be a breath of fresh air if candidates would go back to running because of the people, not because they were able to bring in big bucks.

October 15, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. David TRANSPLANTED to Washington DC

Clinton will get the votes of most African Americans based on the good her husband did as Governor and President, but also because we aren't forgetting the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE job Bush and his gang have done on New Orleans. It may not have been their intention to wipe out a majority color Democratic stronghold by letting it die on the vine, but it sure is what they are doing.

If Katrina had been a bomb, rather than a hurricane and its aftermath, Bush et al would be in prison, convicted of war crimes.

October 15, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. roger, conway sc

Black or white lets give this woman a chance, not all of us agree with everthing Hillary has done or does BUT we are all human and we all make mistakes...I say give her a chance and if she does not fit the bill boot her out after the term...

October 15, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Deshaun Jackson - Youngstown, OH

Well, I'm a black man and I won't vote for Hillary because she's a shameless, carpet-bagging shill, with no real opinion, but tons of hidden agenda items I'm sure. She's no kind of leader, and is incapable of making executive decisions. If she were to gain office, the United States would have three terrible Presidents in a row.

Either Obama or Guliani, I don't care. I'd prefer not to elect someone to the highest office based on nothing more than, "she's a woman".

October 15, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Any one who can state that George W. Bush and the Republican party have morals and principles have no conscience or understanding of what morals and principles entail.

October 15, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Cheryl, SC

I am an "Educated Black Woman" as she put it who owns her own business and I will not be voting for Hillary even if she gets the nomination. I will support the down ticket candidates but she will never get my vote.

John I am disappointed in you.

October 15, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  22. David Smith, AR

Funny. First, she claims she is completely separate from her husband. As she said, "He's not standing right here is he" during the last debate when she came out against all torture after having said she was for some torture a year earlier.

Now, she claims she's an extension of her husband's politics. Well, which one is it Hillary? You can't play both roads. When will everyone begin to catch on that she's playing the American public like a whistle? These endorsements are nothing more than a big fat joke-

October 15, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  23. grayslake, il.

If Hilary wanted to be judge on her own merits as she stated in you tube debate then this will not be a William Jefferson Clinton presidence. It will be a Hilary presidence. Her attempts to pull black voters is a play on words that we as african american's call Bill the first black president. I for one would be backing an actual african american. Not just because his black but his values,views, and he is the best chance we have to affect a change in DC that is really needed. but i do see that if there was no more support from the black community that there will be a clinton/obama ticket for 08 race. He needs to win in lowa and New Hampshire to get the nomination.

October 15, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Ben, Columbus, OH

As an black person,I remember my business benefiting from the revitalization programs under the Clinton presidency. And I experienced affects directly relating from Hillary's involvement. So be fair. If we want her for president. She earned it and deserves our support. Stop reverse rascism.

October 15, 2007 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Rosemary, Simi Valley, California

I think it is a sad day when African American Civil Rights Leaders cannot see to endorse a young African American to become president, especially if he is qualified. So when they say want certain things for the community, it only means if you pass everything by them first. This certainly looks like "back-room support" to me. I hope everyone else sees it that way. I don't want to hear that Hilliary is so much more experenced than Barack. That is certainly not true. Look at her votes in the Senate.

Where is the mentoring of the future leaders? This is why Rep Lewis and a number of other high profile African Americans will see their own demise and relevance disappear in the future for the young African Americans that want to follow. I am talking about the immediate generation behind them, their children, who already find them not relevant. They don't know how to let go and endorse someone that is truly worth endorsing Black or White. So what are they telling future generations, we won't endorse you even if you have all of the crendentials. Why would the country want 28 years of only 2 families in the Whitehouse. 300 Million people in this country, and we can only endorse the same 2 families. It is totally ridiculous. Hilliary is not Bill Clinton. They are living in the past. They had their time in the Whitehouse. Can we move on to new and real change?

October 15, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |