October 15th, 2007

For African-Americans, 'another Clinton presidency'

Clinton was endorsed by Rep. John Lewis Friday.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton drew a direct connection to her husband’s time in the White House in a television interview broadcast Sunday, saying, “I want African-Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency.”

Her comments came in a taped interview with TV One’s “One on One” program.

The show was broadcast over a weekend in which Clinton won two potentially major endorsements in the battle for the southern African-American vote. Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, chose to officially back her instead of Sen. Barack Obama on Friday, and she was endorsed by the Alabama Democratic Conference on Saturday

Congressman Lewis was one of the most prominent leaders of the civil rights movement starting in the 1960s.

During the interview, Clinton said that the African-American vote “is pivotal because of numbers and because of value. I personally feel African-Americans have to be much more involved, and I think it is great that we have a campaign this year with me running [and] with Barack running…. [H]opefully we'll get even more African-Americans to register to vote, to show up to vote, and [to] take part in the debate.”

The Democratic frontrunner went on to say, “I want African Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency. [W]e’re going to be doing everything we can to get this country to be on the side of…people who are working hard and struggling so that they can have a better chance.”

Author Toni Morrison once famously referred to Bill Clinton as America’s “first black president.”

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ayyub, Richmond

People wake up! Hillary is pandering to us just to get a vote. She isn't her husband they are two different people. You can tell she's pandering by the way she said it!

October 15, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Bill Carson, Gaithersburg MD

The headline was intended to be, "The greater majority of Americans will vote for Hillary. They trust her and believe she is the most qualified candidate."

October 15, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Julie, Atlanta, GA

John Edwards is ABSOLUTELY right about this! Hillary says what she thinks people want to hear when they want to hear it…

Witness her saying “I want African-Americans to feel that, when I’m president, it’s another Clinton presidency.”

She runs ON Bill's record when it suits her; she runs AWAY FROM IT when it doesn't.

It is well past time that America WOKE UP!!! How about a president who will tell us the TRUTH, even when it hurts?

John Edwards 2008…Because America deserves better.

October 15, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Michelle, Atlanta GA

That's a fallacy. Just because one black Congressman is endorsing Clinton, does not mean all black people are going to follow suit. We aren't sheep. We know what is at stake here.

October 15, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  5. lynn, sierra vista, az

What we DON'T need or WANT is *another* "Clinton" hillary-billary-presidency! Does Hilly think we've forgotten the embarrassment of the first??? Thinking about the first clinton presidency makes me nauseous.

October 15, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Roberta, Sarasota FL

I'm astonished at the meanness and name-calling - and especially at those who accused one poor poster of being uneducated and ignorant, while they themselves can't write one sentence that is properly punctuated with all words spelled correctly. Hmmm, glass houses, throw stones - you know the rest. But in the meantime, I think Hillary is correct - it's just another Clinton presidency, nothing more, nothing less. Good grief - who would want that?

October 15, 2007 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. Shawn Lisa, West Jordan, Utah

How come all these candidates are so freakin' OLD, I know we younger people! I am a women, and I understand that women have far too many emotions to be put into big decision making problems, don't trust her she is an draconian as well as Gulliani!

October 15, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Connie

I am embarrassed by John Lewis, Jesse Jackson, Ron Dellums, and all of the black folks on this blog who actually think that a white person cares more about us. Is this slave mentality? Are you repeating that experiment where the little black kids chose the white dolls over the black dolls because the black dolls were "bad?"

It wouldn't be so sad if Obama weren't so exceptional.

But as some of us know, plain white is better than brillant black any day in American.

October 15, 2007 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. a austin, grayslake, IL

I am always amazed when I hear the results of the polls. I just heard that African American (according to the Polls) support Hiliary over Obamma. I am an African American woman and no one has ever asked me for I was going to vote. Who participates in these polls? I am an educator and most of my friends are, too. No one has asked them them either. If they would ask...I sure wouldn't say I was voting for Hilary.

October 15, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. andy

Yeah go girl, so much for African Americans that the first time you have a substantial disagreement with the most viable black pres candidate in history you call him NAIVE AND FRANKLY IRRESPONSIBLE. WAy to go. That did a lot for black people, thanks Hillary.

October 15, 2007 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. Bob, Oakland, CA

Since this will be another Clinton presidency I guess we can expect very few minorities in positions of power since the party that supposedly fights for the righst of minorities has problems with placing them in the highest positions available...

October 15, 2007 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. Connie, Oakland, CA

Yes, naive and irresponsible is one step above shiftless and lazy.

Way to go, Hillary. We know that you want us to just stay in our place and let the white folks (you and Bill) take care of us.

Let me tap dance on home now!

October 15, 2007 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. Linda, Chandler AZ

ANOTHER Clinton Presidency?? Sure...and then maybe Jeb Bush will run and after that CHELSEA!! This woman does NOT represent change people!! I have no idea what she promised John Lewis...his endorsement of her baffles me. Hear this...Hillary Clinton will NOT win a general election. Hillary Clinton will NOT bring this country together. Hillary Clinton does NOT have the judgment to lead us out of the horrible hole that George Bush has dug for us.

Obama 08 -

October 15, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Jane, Nashville, TN

Supporting Clinton just because she is a woman is the worse thing you could do for our country. Plus the fact that she is a socialist doesn't help either.

October 15, 2007 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. SHE PANDERS, L.A.,CA

Can someone please tell me what President Clinton did for African-Americans that is still impacting the community in a positive way? Also, people look at some of the votes Hillary has cast that do not favor African-Americans.. What has SHE done for African-Americans??? Can a Hillary supporter please let me know?

October 15, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. Missy Davis, Macon GA

This post is in response to A Thomas...you are right HRC does want equality for everyone...that's called socialism and incase you didn't know it doesn't work. What happened to people wanting to stand on their own and work and not expect the govt or anyone to take care of them? Yes I am a black woman and I am not voting for HRC or a democrat.. Like the other guy said, we as a people need to stop voting the party because our family did the last 30 years, we need to look at the issues. Vote for whomever's values fit your values, regardless of party. Does anyone remember that the republican party was actually the first party to let black people vote? My vote so far is with John McCain because of shared values and his military experience. Please don't throw your vote away...let whomever you give it to earn it!

I don't vote republican democrat or independent...I vote AMERICAN!!

October 15, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  17. Ev Hyattsville, MD

As black woman and a teacher at a Title I school, all I can say about John Lewis and the ADC endorsement is – Shame, shame on you!

How do I explain your endorsements to my fourth graders, 98% of whom are black??? That even if they do all the right things I've been talking to them about…studying, getting a good education, playing by the rules, believing in themselves…that it still won’t be good enough for some black people. That white people will believe in their capabilities and talent, will support them, but other black people won’t. That a young black man who accomplished everything Martin Luther King envisioned in his dream, will not be supported by other black people? Not because he isn't qualified, but because they "like her husband"!!! Dr. King would be ashamed today, very ashamed. The inane reasoning behind the ADC endorsement makes me ashamed to face my students.

October 15, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  18. SB

I was recently at a Countdown for Change rally for future president Barack Obama and I was surrounded by beautiful, well educated black women and men. There were business owners, airline pilots, retired military officers, PhD's, all of whom are supporting Barack Obama.

The African American community is capable of recognizing pandering when they see/hear it.

Ask Marion Wright Edelman what she thinks of Hillary Clinton's ability to lead.

Hillary does not possess the judgement for the job. It amazes me that anyone is willing to vote for someone who supported the Iraq war, refused to limit GWB's power to execute the war, and has now voted for the Lieberman-Kyl ammendment.

No mother in good conscience could possibly support this woman. If her name was not Clinton, she would be competing in the polls with Mike Gravel.

October 15, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. Krystal Loving

Hillary Clinton truly thinks, I think she thinks, by this comment I that all Blacks are "Naive". As a black woman I am offened she had the audacity to say something like that. It's like she thinks we're DUMB! I can't believe I even thought about voting for you Hill. You've lost my love for sure!

October 15, 2007 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. Kim, Boston MA

Unfortunately, while blacks may want another Clinton presidency, the rest of the nation really, really doesn't. Just shows how out of touch blacks are with mainstream, moral middle America.

October 15, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. BERNARD, SCOTCH PLAINS NJ

I'm African American and a Democrat, and will never vote for Hillary, and I am not fooled by this Great White Hope Theory that Bill Clinton was such a friend to blacks, even Dumya had African Americans appointed to some of the highest offices in American History, you can't say the same for the Clintons.

October 15, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  22. laurinda,ny

SHEPANDERS,LA,CA.. I really can't tell you what Bill did for afro-americans, but I can tell you what Bush didn't do for them in Hurricane Katrina, but that would take up to much space on this blog.

October 15, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. Truth Teller

This is called pandering:

"In her campaign to lock up black support, there are no qualms about playing the race card. Senator Clinton scored with black voters when she declared in a June debate at Howard University that the country would be more worried about HIV/AIDS if the disease were disproportionately affecting whites instead of blacks. The powerful political impact of her statement was not diminished by the circumstance that her facts were incorrect. The annual federal budget for HIV research is $3 billion. This is more than the nation’s entire appropriation for research on either heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, or breast cancer. But Clinton’s assertion that racism drives white-controlled government decisions on the allocations of disease research stoked anti-white anger and won her acclaim among black voters.

Probably no one at the Howard University event, black or white, was aware of the fact that in August 2006 Hillary Clinton was the only one of 20 senators of the Republican-controlled Senate Health, Education, and Labor Committee to vote to gut a plan that would have redirected more AIDS funds to heavily black communities in the South. Her vote prompted the National Black Chamber of Commerce to publish full-page newspaper advertisements denouncing Clinton as being “two-faced” on the issue.

~Theodore Cross

October 15, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  24. Charlotte, NC

I can't believe that so many black folks are running after Clinton, who many of the uninformed say was the closest thing to a black President, when we have the opportunity to have a real black President in the White House. You have to ask yourselves, what has Clinton done for BLack people? Why is Hillary acting like she cares about black people? What has she done in her life, before politics, that ever benifited the black community? Obama is the real thing because everyone knows that back when there were no cameras around, and no press reports, he went to the hood and committed himself to the community.

Obama walks the walk, Hillary just talks it. You'd be a fool to believe it.

October 15, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  25. Antonio, Atlanta, Ga

This is the first time in History that a black man and a female have had legitimate shots at being President. Someone mentioned eariler that Barack has surrounded himself by white folks and puts forth policies at help all Americans. Keep in mind that Barack does not need anyone to tell him what it means to be black in American. He is married to a black woman, who is authenicately black. He has two black daughters. His mother-in-law is black. He actually attends a black church even when there is no campaign going on. So let's be clear, Barack has black women influences in his life.

What has Hillary done for black women? Last night and during the Howard debate she talked about how AIDS would be a national emergency if white women were being infected at the same rate. This is not a new topic in the black community. If indeed she was concerned about the issue, she would have made it a priority as First Lady or as a Senator. She has not done so. She is really on giving lip service now that she is running for President. Black poliiticians know this, but because of political greed they are endorsing her. If she really cared about these issues, they would have been on the radar screen a long time ago.

Unfortunately, however, black people generally vote for those they are told to vote for. Now, some older black folks with a sense of community will vote for Barack because they want to see a President who is black. But many others will vote for Hillary because they are told to by there local religious or political leaders. I wish we as a people were not so blind. But I do hope that every free thinking black person call to task every black politician whenever they call for black people to support one another or to support them. Last night, Charles Rangel claimed that he didn't want someone (Barack) to learn on the job (President). The statement makes no sense, because unless a person has served as President, they will be learning on the job. Hillary has never been President. Thus, she like everyone in the field will need to learn on the job. But such foolishness is passed off as serious thought. It's really shameful.

October 15, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |