October 16th, 2007

Brownback unable to break $1 million mark

Brownback failed to break the $1 million mark in fundraising last quarter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, reported raising about $926,000 for his presidential campaign in the third quarter, and gave no indication Monday he would abandon his White House bid despite the lackluster haul.

Instead, the Brownback campaign noted that the Kansas senator is eligible to receive "at least $2.1 million in federal matching funds," and emphasized that the campaign is carrying no debt.

"With a crowded field and an entire month during which Senator Brownback campaigned in Iowa without holding fundraising events, we are pleased with the level of support for Senator Brownback's message," John Rankin, the senator's campaign spokesman, said in a statement. "We have always expected to run a grassroots campaign and to make the most of limited resources. The option of over $2 million in federal matching funds would provide additional support as we move forward."

Several of Brownback's opponents for the GOP presidential nomination had a much more successful three month fundraising period. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani raised $11 million, while former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney collected $10 million. Texas Rep. Ron Paul's success in the third quarter was the biggest surprise when he announced raising $5 million for his bid.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

–CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Sam Brownback
  1. John Thomas, Edina, MN

Time to drop out, Brownbag.

October 15, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. laurinda,ny

I really think this is going a little overboard. This country is under economic stress and I do not see why he would be eligible to recieve at least $2.1 million in federal matching funds. It is outrageous that the American people should have to pay him when he himself chose to run.

October 15, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  3. lavelle Rochester,ny

Yeah and Baracks 32 Mil is coming from the people on the grassroot level. Talk about that CNN and Hills are coming from the people who live in the Hills!

October 16, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  4. Roger, Shawnee, KS

Sam, Sam, Sam, just drop out and save the Fed's 2.1 million in matching funds.
    Clinton has a better chance of winning the parties nomination than you do.
    Come back to Kansas Sam, we need you (NOT).

October 16, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  5. Pat, Huntington, NY

When will this guy give it up already...America is sick of his kind of neo-con flat-earth believing, bible beating, evolution denying, style of politics.

October 16, 2007 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. r schier norwalk,ct

Another "non-story". This guy is totally irrelevant from any angle...indeed why doesn't he drop out now and donate any funds torwards a better cause...

October 16, 2007 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Thomas, NYC,NY

yes, time to get out Brownback. Don't know why CNN acts like Ron Paul is such a surprise to haul in $5 million. He is organized and strikes a chord with many people that want to restore the Republic and shed the Bush/Clinton rule that has gone on for 20 years.

October 16, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. Paul, New Orleans, LA

I would like to know why my taxes are going to people that can run for the country that I don't agree with. How can teh govt do that?

October 16, 2007 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Chris, FL

I wasn't going to vote for you as you remind me of all the other candiates. I am sorry that people are more supportive of immorality and hate than love and wisdom.

I hope you have great success in your future. The president is just a puppet anyhow with no power. It's in the churches we need you.

October 16, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Mia, Dallas, TX

Paul of New Orleans... when you file your tax returns and whatnot, there's a box to check if you'd like to donate $X to candidates who choose to run for president. Apparently a lot of people check that box.

I wish CNN would report more on Ron Paul. Ron Paul cured my apathy and even if he doesn't win the nomination, I'm still writing his name in on the ballot.

October 16, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. AJ; Montpelier, VT

I guess ol' Sam didnt pray hard enough. I do find it interesting that this Bible banging bigot is going to take public funds in order to keep going. Better get the revival tent out Sam, your candidacy is dead.

October 16, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Kevin, San Francisco CA

I guess it should be Brownbroke now

October 16, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  13. Jim Topeka, KS

Been telling you since you announced to forget it and start earning your pay, but then again that would require you to be in Washington and actually show up and vote.

October 17, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |