October 17th, 2007

Colbert announces bid for the White House

Colbert said Tuesday he will run for president in South Carolina.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - He hinted at a possible run for the White House on CNN's Larry King last week, but Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert made it official Tuesday night: he's jumping into the presidential race in his home state of South Carolina.

"After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call….I am hereby declaring that I will enter the presidential primary in my native South Carolina, running as a favorite son," Colbert said on his show Tuesday night. "I defy any other candidate to pander more to the people of South Carolina - those beautiful, beautiful people."

South Carolina is one of four lead-off primary states that will likely play a crucial role in determining the eventual nominee of both parties.

On Larry King last Thursday, Colbert laid out his potential electoral strategy, saying he'd see how he did in South Carolina before deciding to move on to other states. (Watch Colbert discuss his political life on CNN's Larry King)

"I think maybe there's something I could offer the campaign on a state-by-state basis," he said. "I would target a state individually…a test run."

Colbert, author of the recently released “I Am America (And So Can You!),” also told King he'd seek to run as both a Democrat and Republican.

"I'd let the people decide what party I belong in," he said. "I don't dictate the people's actions."

In the interview with King, Colbert also brushed aside suggestions that it was a "cop out" to run in both parties, calling it instead courageous, because, "I could lose twice." (Related video: Watch more of Larry King's interview with Colbert)

In the slim chance that he wins a party's nomination, Colbert said Tuesday he'd consider either Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, Russian President Vladimir Putin, or himself for a running mate.

"Colbert-Colbert - that's a strong ticket," he argued.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. James, Phoenix AZ

I wonder if he'll appear in the Daily Show and interview with Jon?? :)

Actually – if Jon ran.. the guy would be a serious threat!

October 17, 2007 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. JB Hull, IA

Colbert 08!!!

October 17, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. Greg, NY, NY

Should totally get John Stewart as his running mate. They'd have my vote lol

October 17, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Nathan, Bronx

I think I've just changed who I'm voting for. Do you think we could have a three person ticket...Colbert-Colbert-Colbert...maybe a Vice-Vice President.

October 17, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. mandalyn, austin, tx

I know this is a gag, but hell, I'd vote for him!

October 17, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. John

Yeah! Colbert for President! At least people might get a laugh out of the President. Either way from the looks of our candidates we are pretty much screwed. At least we'll go down in a blaze of glory!

October 17, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. House of Burgess

The ponytail looks so pretty on him. Who knew?

October 17, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Philip, Elkhart IN

All the people who don't vote, or put a blank ballot in the ballot box now have a humorous way to thumb their noses at the system they are so fed with.

October 17, 2007 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Erewyn, Tucson

Friends, Patriots and Countrypersons:
    There is hope!

October 17, 2007 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Stephen Taylor, Macon, GA

Shades of Pat Paulsen's 1968 "Sure, why not?" campaign.

October 17, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. demwit

He's got my vote..

October 17, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. Andrew, NJ

Actually this is great news. Colbert has the balls to speak his mind...at least we'll have someone in the race, who is willing to expose the candidates for the people they are.

It sure doesn't look like the media is willing to expose the candidate's dirty little secrets.

October 17, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Cody - Starkville, MS

Sometimes I wish he'd quit screwing around and support Dennis Kucinich on CNN like he did on his own show.

October 17, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Dan Stackhouse, New York, New York

What the heck, he's head and shoulders above all the Republican candidates, in terms of knowledge, charisma, humor, youth, and dashingly French last names. I'd enjoy the wacky unpredictability of a Colbert presidency. Also, I'd suggest he pick Lewis Black as VP.

October 17, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  15. John, St. Louis, MO

It's official, our Democratic system is a joke!

October 17, 2007 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. Obama08, Chicago, Il

Ha ha...I love it...

October 17, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Matt, Mays Landing, NJ

Colbert has my vote, he has something the other candidates don't: better qualifications and a sense of humor.

October 17, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. anonymous, omaha ne

as funny as he is, he is actually better than our current president

October 17, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Justin, Springfield, MA

Let this trigger a third party revolution – I can't tell the difference between the two anymore.

October 17, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  20. Aaron Kinney, Sherman Oaks CA

Are we seeing the beginnings of a Ron Paul/Stephen Colbert ticket????

October 17, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. andrew Atlanta Ga

i love this guy i wil vote 4 him

October 17, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. Chris Henry - Atlanta, GA

Finally a candidate the public can get along with. My vote is locked-in. People are tired of career politicians. Win or lose, Stephen Colbert will have a huge affect on the 2008 election.

October 17, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. Ryan, New York

Awesome! Go Colbert! Finally someone with a soul runs for president...

October 17, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. Craig, Jonesboro Arkansas

Is he really serious? Would we get nightly State of the Union addresses on Comedy Central if he were elected President? I would love to see the US President call Congress a bunch of pussies or something!

October 17, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |