October 17th, 2007

Poll: Clinton trouncing Obama among black women

Clinton holds a substantial lead over Obama among black women.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's lead over Sen. Barack Obama, her chief rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, is growing among African-American voters who are registered Democrats, and particularly among black women, a poll said Wednesday.

Among black registered Democrats overall, Clinton had a 57 percent to 33 percent lead over Obama.

That's up from 53 percent for Clinton and 36 percent for Obama in a poll carried out in April.

Among white registered Democrats, Clinton drew 49 percent support, versus 18 percent for Obama and 17 percent for former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the latest poll found.

The question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 6.5 points.

The former first lady's strongest support among blacks came from black women, 68 percent of whom identified her as their likely choice, versus 25 percent who cited Obama, the senator from Illinois who is African-American.

Black men who are registered Democrats were nearly evenly split, with 42 percent favoring Clinton and 46 percent favoring Obama. The sampling error of that question was plus-or-minus 8 points.

Full story

1. Chip Celina OH

Funny, I haven't seen the headline about President Bush trouncing, slamming, bashing the Congress with approval rating numbers. His numbers DOUBLE those guys.

She's only up 53-36.

October 18, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Daniel, Chicago Illinois

I'm kind of sad to see all this media bashing Obama on CNN and it constantly reporting how he is behind in the race for President. I'm sure he is doing just fine.

October 18, 2007 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. EBJ, Spring Tx

well so much for that old adage that Black Americans will vote for or follow any one in politics because they are also Black. But then again I think that was shot down when Bush number 1 snuck Justice Thomas in there.

October 19, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  4. Maiysha Myshere, Hayward, CA

Listen up people. CNN is major mainstream media, they, like their contemporaries helped to put GWB in the whitehouse lie about the WMD's and much of the whitehouse . I trust CNN as much as I trust GW, Karl Rove and Tricky Dick! Don't believe this media's hype about Hillary's support amoung black women. We know that mainstream media can't be trusted with the truth. CNN is no different than Fox, the UnNews, and their peers. They are spoon fed Whitehouse propaganda and 80% of America is suckling like a new born infant. Think for yourselves, go to the internet for the truth. It is out there. Do not rely on "corporate owned" media. I seriously doubt that this will be printed, but if so, Hooray because it slipped through the cracks!

October 21, 2007 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. Ane Singleton, Seattle WA

I am a black female Obama Supporter. I do not believe the Poll results which claims Obama trails Hillary among Black females. Not a single Poll has ever requested my opinion, specifically this one. I have contributed financially to his campaign and will give him the vote. Obama is over qualified for the Presidency, and Hillary has already spent 8 years in the White House.

October 22, 2007 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. Erika Day, West Newton, Ma

Has anyone thought about the fact that Obama is more palatable to us conservatives than Hillary Clinton? I would vote for Obama any day even if I disagree with some of his social policies. He appeals to my very die-hard conservative family.

October 26, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |