October 17th, 2007

Poll: Clinton trouncing Obama among black women

Clinton holds a substantial lead over Obama among black women.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's lead over Sen. Barack Obama, her chief rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, is growing among African-American voters who are registered Democrats, and particularly among black women, a poll said Wednesday.

Among black registered Democrats overall, Clinton had a 57 percent to 33 percent lead over Obama.

That's up from 53 percent for Clinton and 36 percent for Obama in a poll carried out in April.

Among white registered Democrats, Clinton drew 49 percent support, versus 18 percent for Obama and 17 percent for former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the latest poll found.

The question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 6.5 points.

The former first lady's strongest support among blacks came from black women, 68 percent of whom identified her as their likely choice, versus 25 percent who cited Obama, the senator from Illinois who is African-American.

Black men who are registered Democrats were nearly evenly split, with 42 percent favoring Clinton and 46 percent favoring Obama. The sampling error of that question was plus-or-minus 8 points.

Full story

1. Daniel

This explains why Clinton is... only leading in Iowa (a white state) by 11 in today's poll!

October 17, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  2. joseph, austin, tx

so "307 blacks" polled represents all of black america. is non latino whites how white people are described as today, we really have lost the invasion against mexico. everyday a fluff peice about clinton what a suprise.

October 17, 2007 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. James, Phoenix AZ

LOL – I must say, CNN, your biased headlines have become comical. Clinton couldn't be "leading" or "ahead"... no she is "TROUNCING" Obama.

57 – 33 with an error of +/- 6.5 (so take away 6.5 from 57 and add 6.5 to 33 and the error of margin suggests it COULD be 50 – 40)

WOW... THAT's trouncing?

October 17, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. uriew, CA

Thanks CNN for letting us know, now we can fight hard to assure Hillary loses the nomination. One thing with this Obama army, tell us anything negative and we will prove you wrong, just like the money is trickling in for Obama, 1 million dollars in a day. Try asking Hillary supporters for that and see if it EVER happens unless their arms are twisted

October 17, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. J, Seattle WA

Hillary Clinton = America's Eva Peron!

October 17, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Natalie,NC

I don't buy this poll I am a black woman and i don't plsn to vote for her and i don't know a single black woman who does...who are you guys talking to....or are you just making up these numbers!!!

October 17, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. eastsider Cleveland, OH

Black Americans may abondon Clinton if they read all of the racist postings on this blog from Clinton supporters.

October 17, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. Caren

Daniel, you were a litle too subtle, it went right over my head (which isn't unusual). Were you be a little tongue in cheek? Anyway, I found the article interesting. As an African American female and staunch supporter of Hillary I can understand her being even with Obama but those numbers are really interesting. Now I will move over & make room for the Hillary Haters to start foaming at the mouth. You guys really need to get your shots.

October 17, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Colbert Nation USA

Who cares? Neither of them stand a chance now that Stephen Colbert is in the race!

October 17, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Brenda, Annapolis MD

And why is that? There is no correlation between the nation as a whole and Iowa. I do recall that for the longest time, the top three democratic were practically tied in Iowa. The poll discussed here can hardly be seen as representative for individual states. This poll describes the whole statistical picture–not the way EACH state will vote in the primary and general elections.

October 17, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Chris, Middletown, CT

I'm in a state that always votes for Democrats for President – I only know of one person who said they liked Hillary – I can't see how any of this is remotely true....in fact – it was recently announced that CT is no longer a lock for the Dems if Giuliani runs against HRC....finally!! (I think it would still be a lock for the Dems if Obama ran....so...go Hillary – the country hates you (well...the literate ones anyway....) – lookup Saul Alinsky....you can see how the student is becoming the teacher

October 17, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. lou, Mississippi

I believe this poll like I believe the other half million that have been taken. This is be the reverse Bradley effect.

October 17, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. therealist

307 black callers represent the entire black minority vote. That's a great scientific technique you got there CNN..

October 17, 2007 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. Not Surprised, Tampa, FL

Sad. But that's the way it will always be.

October 17, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. intheknow, USA

Hmmmm....this is going to be interesting when Condoleezza enters the race...

October 17, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Mick Simmons

I can only assume by the polling numbers that Rudy is guaranteed victory. In head-to-head without the black vote he wins by a landslide...and history shows that is has always been difficult to get blacks to the voting booth...good luck changing the tide again next time.

October 17, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Vinny, Philly, PA

these sampling errors are the largest potential swings I've ever seen. I'm used to seeing errors of +/- 3 points or so. 8 points?!? That's a potential 16 point swing! even the 6.5 point potential error is pretty huge. What's going on with these polls?

October 17, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  18. MsCiara, Paris

The poll I am interested in is on the day of the caucus ! And for the record, minorities all in ALL states..

October 17, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Nancy

The question no one is discussing and neither is Hillary is America going to want 2 women in charge. Nancy P hasn't exactly been a great speaker of the House.

If you'll notice Hillary never mentions her on the campaign trail.

Democrats may not talk about it but if she gets the nomination Republicans will. I don;'t think they will.

October 17, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  20. I'M DONE, L.A.,CA

TROUNCING??? Can we be anymore biased.. CNN, instead of making blanket statements, why not run a piece on what Hillary has done for African-Americans?? Because I know it's nothing.. Talk to African Americans in New York and ask them what she has done for them in her time in the senate.. Nothing.. This officially does it for me CNN..I held out hope that once stoiores and inconsistencies came up in Hillary's "flawless" campaign, you would report and call her out, much like you do with Obama.. If CNN would post the negatives as much as the positives, people could live with that.. But CNN creates positives and ignores negatives..
    -Only candidate to receive money from Walmart, whom she spoke out against during a debate
    -She has been accused and there is evidence of her eavesdropping on opponents conversations in the past even though she spoke out against that during a debate
    -She has flip-flopped numerous times in the last month and panders to the audience in front of her
    I can keep going, but CNN will probably delete this anyway..
    CNN, even though you have picked a candidate, you have a duty to report honestly and FAIRLY.. Do your job and let the American people do their research and find out that HRC is bad news for us.. I am officially done with CNN, this ticker and the media.. Vote Obama people.. or we/you as Americans/an American deserve the next 8 years of suffering.

October 17, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Erik

A Urgent Plea to Women of Color...

Black women please support good black men for the sake of our race and our children! Voting for Obama will help INSPIRE BLACK FAMILIES. Please black women do not turn your back on black families. There are good black men in this country who want to up lift sisters. Please give Mr. Obama a chance. Give his wife a chance. Give his daughters a chance. Give our communities a chance. I live in NY where Aids effect more women of color. HILLARY HAS NEVER addressed this problem for NYer's and she has been our senator for 7 years. She is using you to turn against black people to win an election. The Clinton's only want your vote. They will not be there for black people. They will abandon us AGAIN and give us SCRAPS from the political table. Please black women from a strong brother to my strong sisters...Please do not turn your back on our people, our children and their future! Please vote for Mr. Obama!

Video of blacks who support Obama!

October 17, 2007 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. LinnieFB, Corona, CA

Not sure who is being polled...but, Hillary Clinton is NOT going to get the black woman vote! I'm really beginning to wonder about who controls the polling and the media! I suppose next we will get a poll saying white southern men prefer Clinton? (equally unlikely)

Clinton is being forced on the American electorate! I guess the goal is to make people give up...NOT going to happen.

Go Obama!

October 17, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. Sandra Longfellow NC

GO Hillary!
    CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2008

October 17, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Jerry Liscomb NV

Clinton is leading in Iowa | New Hampshire | South Carolina | Nevada | Florida!!!!!

obama who?

October 17, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. Darlene Leavenworth Kansas

I am a black american woman and I do
    not support Hillary Clinton never have