October 17th, 2007

Poll: Clinton trouncing Obama among black women

Clinton holds a substantial lead over Obama among black women.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's lead over Sen. Barack Obama, her chief rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, is growing among African-American voters who are registered Democrats, and particularly among black women, a poll said Wednesday.

Among black registered Democrats overall, Clinton had a 57 percent to 33 percent lead over Obama.

That's up from 53 percent for Clinton and 36 percent for Obama in a poll carried out in April.

Among white registered Democrats, Clinton drew 49 percent support, versus 18 percent for Obama and 17 percent for former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the latest poll found.

The question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 6.5 points.

The former first lady's strongest support among blacks came from black women, 68 percent of whom identified her as their likely choice, versus 25 percent who cited Obama, the senator from Illinois who is African-American.

Black men who are registered Democrats were nearly evenly split, with 42 percent favoring Clinton and 46 percent favoring Obama. The sampling error of that question was plus-or-minus 8 points.

Full story

1. Karen, NYC

Now this is a load of horse hairs! I'm black and haven't been polled in this new wave excuse for promoting Mrs. Bill Clinton.

October 17, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  2. Howard Sharpe, North Branch, MN

Black women should be offended. According to Schneider, they can't make up their minds whether to vote black or female, both incredibly stupid, irrelevant reasons to cast a vote in the first place. What a vapid, shallow country we've become.

October 17, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Coach Haughton NH

I wonder, When her majesty the clinton takes the throne is CNN going to do coverage of the soup lines across america?

October 17, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. andy

still waiting..oh that's right. The only time a black leader gets news is if he says something BAD about Obama (like Jesse saying Obama was acting white) or something GOOD about Hillary (like the BREAKING NEWS TICKER ABOUT JOHN LEWIS ENDORSING HILLARY) First BLACK GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETTS ENDORSES OBAMA AND SAYS NICE THINGS ABOUT HIM???
    Cnn yawns
    "where the brothers complaining about Obama at"??? Thaswhat Cnn wants. That's the only news fit to print about Obama for CNN

October 17, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. nofluer St Joseph, MO

Want to hear the DIRTY LITTLE SECRET that they won't tell you? It's that these polls mean nothing because they take them over the TELEPHONE – you remember? That little gizmo that sat on a little table somewhere with a wire coming out of it before you got your cell phone and had it disconnected?

Citizens the under 30 who mostly own cell phones and do NOT own landlines, which is the majority of the younger citizenry, are completely excluded. So the polls are of people with telephones who are mostly over 30 – which group will tend to vote for the older candidate – ie Hillary. So ANY poll will favor Hillary over Obama.

October 17, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. Dorothy, Miami, Florida

I am a black woman, and I am NOT supporting Hillary. Most of the black women here in Miami, Florida is supporting Obama. Most don't even like the lady due to the fact that she labels them as victims. Hillary is condescending to black women. Her strategy is to get black females voters and she will say and do anything to get out votes. I hate when she uses black dialect when speaking to black crowds.
    Black Women please support Obama. Our black men are our leaders, they have shown us who they support and that's Obama.
    Obama 08!

October 17, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. FT Doylestown, Pa

I Haven't met one person that is voting for her and I think I get arround....How come all the polls say the same thing....Polls say Women will come out and vote for the first Woman Pres....I'm a Woman and I hate this Creature! I'm sick to DEATH of the CLINTON and The BUSH'S ....is this ENGLAND.
    The Polls are giving to you by the Same Media that give the News! Ha Ha ..
    Americans don't TRUST The "BIAS MEDIA"!
    Hey I guess they'll be Shocked election night.....when it's NOT "THE HILL"! SURPRISE!!!

October 17, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. Jim Bremer

Why are black women flocking to Hillary ?

Coz they dont want to suffer under

BURQA HUSSEIN OSAMA

October 17, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  9. Stephanie, Sacramento, CA

First, I saw the televised report of this poll and I would suggest that having someone from the African American community speak to the context of these numbers would help your credibility greatly. I have also read a report on the fact that older Black women 50+ are afraid to vote for Barack because they think he will be killed. Given that sentiment among older Black women particularly in the South who have lost the men in their lives to segregation and the KKK these huge numbers are not what they appear to be. If you had a more diverse group of reporters they would provide better analysis. Instead you throw the numbers out as if a poll is a poll. There are enough White women to discuss the extra burden for Hillary having to appear tough because she is the female candidate, but you are not providing the same analysis or interpretation for Obama running as a Black man. In the end I am confident that the exit polls will show a much different split. (Hi Kim!)

October 17, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Jamal

but good is Gravel is doing quite well,i admire him for being truthfull,I believe him on this 100%Gravel in Florida is not doing Obama any favors.

“Former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, a leading candidate for Buzz’s Profile in Courage Award for being the only Democratic presidential hopeful not boycotting Florida’s Jan. 29 primary, shared some insight with us while campaigning in Tampa Bay Wednesday.

At a “Political Connections” taping that will air Sunday on Bay News 9, he informed us that Barack Obama is the least friendly candidate at the debates.

“He’s just not a warm person. And he’s got a fish handshake,” said Gravel, depicting a flaccid grip. He offered up John Edwards and Joe Biden as the most friendly.”

Now i seen it on tv to wear he was knocking on doors his appearance was he has frustrations issues on his face,i dont trust him…He is attacking Hillary in all sense he should not be pandering himself on the republican side.. which she is attacking bush this is his crap for the 7 years…and she is the one pointing this out,so she attacks him terribly.what are you going to do when Bill and hillary attack you Obama,your gonna cry.

great post i found soemone wrote,makes sense to me:

but this just sounds like narcissism to me. Why is he attributing the partisanship of the 90s to Hillary? I just don’t get it. It seems to me that the Clintons have taken a fair amount of heat for the sheer amount of bi-partisan work they did.

I think Obama is a blan blank up guy. I don’t like him. I don’t trust him. I can’t think of another Democratic candidate I’ve ever said that about. But this business of blaming the partisanship of the 90s on the first lady is evidence of some pathological malady to my mind.

it’s weird. he’s running on George Bush’s platform – blame the Clintons. Vote for me. I’m a uniter,of what religion Come on Obama bring the truth out.whats your religion.Islam once ya have it,it does not go away.He isnt fooling me.

October 17, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. mike, dallas, TX

Is this according to the CNN Venod Gupta, Clinton buddy company conducting the poll?

CNN needs to show a disclaimer each time they show these polls.

October 17, 2007 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. Halal Greenburg

Wednesday, October 17, 2007
    Patrick will endorse Obama, officials say

(Patricia McDonnell for The Boston Globe)

Obama lent Patrick a helping hand in last year's governor's race.

By Frank Phillips, Globe Staff

Governor Deval Patrick is throwing his support to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, an endorsement that will give the Illinois senator a much needed boost in New Hampshire and help blunt Hillary Clinton's courting of African-American leaders.

Senior administration officials confirmed that Patrick called Obama today to confirm his plans to endorse his presidential candidacy. The two talked briefly and aides began working out details for a large public rally in Boston next week.

The Patrick political organization today sent out e-mails to its list of 40,000 workers and supporters, telling them of his decision to back Obama.

Patrick, the nation's only black governor, who is considered a rising star in a new generation of African-American leaders, also called Clinton today to inform her of his decision. He has strong ties to her and former President Bill Clinton, in whose administration he held a top justice department post. Both Clintons lobbied him for his endorsement.

Patrick chose Obama because he believes the country is hungry for his new style of leadership that cuts across both racial and party lines and stirs up strong voter enthusiasm, according to the senior administration officials. The governor is expected to argue that Obama can lead what he terms a "generational call" - a rally to rebuild the country and restore its standing around the world.

Tufts University political science professor Jeffrey Berry said Patrick's endorsement will be most significant because it will reinforce Obama's most potent skills as a candidate, his broad based appeal to voters. "For Obama, a Patrick endorsement is another sign there is a new young generation of dynamic black leaders who can appeal across racial and partisan lines," Berry said.

With the exception of opening a Democratic presidential debate last June in Washington, Patrick has spent his first year in office keeping a low national profile. His aides said Patrick expects to make appearances for Obama in New Hampshire and Iowa after the Massachusetts Legislature wraps up its session in mid November.

Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk

October 17, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  13. Rose National City, Ca

Blah..blah...blah..blah..whatever you say CNN!

stclaire for obama 08

October 17, 2007 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  14. S.I.Porter Chicago, Illinois

Anyone want to comment that the person whose firm did the poll HAS CONTRIBUTED HEAVILY TO HILLARY?

I don't believe this poll, BTW.

I haven't met a Black person yet that's voting for Hillary.

When I talk to folks, we don't know where these Black folk for Hillary are.

October 17, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Olson Johnson -- Rock Ridge

Hillary is leading most polls because of her high name recognition and the fact that most of the electorate is not yet fully engaged and have yet to get serious about making sure of their choice. Add in the fact that there are pollsters out there in Clinton's pocket and it's no surprise when a poll comes out showing her leading. Just google Vinod Gupta and Douglas Schoen and you'll see what I mean. These biased polls just help to feed the "inevitibility" fallacy.

If Barack does close the gap to within the margin of error or takes the lead in any national polls, that will rightfully be huge news because of the deck being stacked against him.

Regarding the black/African-American portion of the electorate, the story is much the same. People know Clinton's name and she is a sort of default candidate, presumably even more so for women. Few people even knew who Barack Obama was three years ago. Once they get to know him, they usually end up liking him a lot.

If they actually compare records, people go for Obama in a big way.

Also, Hillary is great at giving applause lines during speeches and sounding good for whatever audience she is in front of. She is not so good at living up to her rhetoric. Here's just one example: http://www.nationalbcc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=358&Itemid=30

October 17, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. ellie, michigan

at least cnn is more even-handed than fox news and msnbc when editorializing stories.

October 17, 2007 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  17. Jenny Lewisville, TX

Yeah, this is defiantely a hard choice for me, not b/c I am a black woman but just b/c i like qualities in both candidates. As a dem I am so excited about the choices and I must say I am LEANING toward Hillary right now b/c she seems strong, confident, experienced, and knowledgeable.... I could still vote for Obama but he is not saying anything new or appealing... race or gender will not have anything to do with my decision.

October 17, 2007 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  18. Charles in Utah

One more proof - as if any was needed - that Obama is a much wiser choice than Hillary.

October 18, 2007 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. ronnie - knoxville tn.

true Hillary is waaay right of Hussein Obama, and at least will be slightly more agressive in keeping our military the mightiest in the world; but she stil will rape us on taxes and put in liberals judges that will stick for decades so she must be stopped.

October 18, 2007 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  20. Bama Cleveland OH

Are you sure Hillary and Obama are not related ??

October 18, 2007 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  21. Stacy, Baton Rouge LA

African women don't know who to vote for, a woman like them or a African person like them.

October 18, 2007 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  22. Jeff, South Portland, Maine

If you really want to know what Real People think check the YouTube click results from Huffingtonpost.com.

Obama 11million+ views
    Clinton 960 thousand !!!!

That is 11 to 1 folks.

And CNN things they are not biased???

Give me a break

October 18, 2007 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  23. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Since CNN is hung up on polls so much and treats the small sampling as factual somehow.

How would you folks account for the polling that says college educated women favor Obama over Clinton, in fact to use CNN's words, he TROUNCES HER.

I know CNN wouldn't put that poll out there as that would "infer" people that have brains prefer Obama over Clinton whose audience is more targeted to people who watch "The view" and are home during the day.

Funny, people that are home during the day "Baking cookies and having teas", right Shrillary.

Anyone but Hillary – 2008

October 18, 2007 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  24. Dianne, Opa Locka, Florida

Black women need to wake up. Most black women that support Senate Clinton fit into two categories: 1) they are voting for hillary because she is a woman, which I found stupid or 2) they are voting for her because of Bill. Either of the two are not good enough for me, given the current situation our country is in. We need to read about Obama's stance on issues and compare them to Clinton's. The Crime Bill that Clinton has advocated and voted for has disproportionately affected our Black men. Sisters, how can you vote for her? Please do not let our black men down. Vote Obama 08!

October 18, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  25. Keith, Oklahoma City, OK

Hillary voted for the Iraq war. Hillary voted for the Patriot act. I mean, she might as well be a Republican. She's a phony, corporate-controlled opportunist who will do or say ANYTHING to get elected. I don't trust her one bit. Nothing she could do or say could possibly make me trust her.

I will vote for Obama, because he's a
    real person who I believe cares about
    the people. The guy is amazingly smart, compassionate and charismatic. He could go a long way towards repairing our country's shattered reputation. I really believe he could make a fine president.

What really gets me though, is how the networks/newspapers are trying their best to drum up pro-Clinton stories. I can definitely tell where CNN stands!

October 18, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |