October 18th, 2007

Clinton's upstate appeal

Sen. Hillary Clinton won over Republicans in upstate New York. Can she do so nationally to win the White House?

(CNN) - Mary Snow reports from Duchess County, New York. She takes a look at how Republicans in upstate New York are reacting to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential candidacy.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. S.C. Johnson, Richmond VA

I used to live in the real upstate NY (i.e. far north of Duchess County) and still visit there. It's pretty gloomy country economically and Hillary Clinton has done nothing to change that. She's pretty good at sponsering trivial, window dressing legislation just like her husband was.

October 18, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Howard, Huntington, NY

I used to live in Upstate NY too, and now I live on Long Island. I can't think of a single thing that Hillary has done to help NY.

Oh, but she fought violent video games! Thanks Hillary, you can find common ground with the GOP only when they go for nanny-state laws too.

October 18, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Davis, NJ

CNN, the BIAS in your reporting is astounding!
    Why don't you go to all the candidates' home states and ask find out whether republicans there would vote for them?
    ...In fact what prompted this report anyway? CNN goes out of its way to advertise for Sen. Clinton about her appeal in upstate NY. .... AND the video doesn't even sample various opinions and views of the Senator.
    I have a task for CNN's reporters – maybe you should go to Illinois and ask the republicans there how they elected a young, black man with a funny name, who was outspend six to one to the US Senate.
    That would be more sensible, i think!!

October 18, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. laurinda,ny

You are absolutely right upstate NY is gloomy country. I have lived here nine years to long. As soon as the housing market picks up, I am out of here. If the Republicans didn't ruin our economy I would have left last year.

October 18, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Angelo K., NYC, NY

To those who are from upstate NY and complain about Hillary:
    I live in NYC and I am a republican. But, I will never vote for Guliani as he is the most opportunist person I have ever come across and plays his 9/11 card all the time to draw sympathy. If 9/11 had not happened, Guliani has nothing to say about his accomplishments except for few clean ups here and there. Guliani has the worst family values records, his children hate him, he is controlled by his wife, and he changes his positions all the time. Between him and Hillary, I would certainly choose Hillary. But, my first choice is Ron Paul.

October 18, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. laurinda,ny

Were I live in upstate ny there is a big yellow and brown sign that say something like home of the Republicans. I can't stand that people would ever think that it applies to me!!! So don't blame the Democrats!!

October 19, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. Moe, NY

You go girl....you have done well for Upstate NY...do not let those Republican lies get you down...keep on truckin!

October 19, 2007 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |