October 18th, 2007

Majority say Mormonism not an issue

Most Americans say Romney's Mormon faith is not an issue.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A vast majority of Americans say Mitt Romney’s faith will not be a factor in their decision on whether to vote for him. The former Massachusetts governor and Republican presidential candidate is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Nearly 77 percent of those questioned in a new CNN–Opinion Research Corporation poll say the fact that a candidate is a Mormon would not be a factor in the way they vote for president. 19 percent of those surveyed say they would be less likely to vote for a presidential candidate who’s a Mormon, and 3 percent say they would be more likely to vote for a Mormon.

Americans' attitudes towards Mormonism appear to be changing, and while it is unclear whether that shift had anything to do with Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, he may be the beneficiary. A year ago, only a third of all Americans believed that Mormons belonged to a Christian religion, and another third were unsure. Now only one in ten are unsure, and the number of people who believe that Mormons belong to a Christian religion has risen by 16 points to 50 percent. The bad news for Romney: four in ten think Mormons are not part of a Christian religion, and that number has also grown.

1,212 adult Americans were questioned for the survey. It was conducted by telephone on October 12-14, and has a sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Shannon, Pensacola, FL

Excuse me but whoever is being surveyed isn't exactly telling the truth because no one will know what they will do in the booth.

Non-Mormons for the most part will not vote for a Mormon especially one that has flip flopped all over. LDS tells their candidates what to do. If you don't believe it, ask people in states that had Mormon candidates in the past or better yet ask people in the church who are told they have to donate to an LDS candidate by Church leaders.

October 18, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  2. Chris, Middletown, CT

Its not....but being a right wing candidate is....if we brought in anyone but Giuliani...we would show that the party has not evolved....and that would be a sad day...(fortunately....it won't happen!) Giuliani 08!!

October 18, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. xtina - chicago IL

I think the discussions about Gov Romney's Mormon faith are dissipating as people see him on tv shows talking about the issues. He is a fiscal expert who has experience handling budgets. He has become more conservative on social issues, which appeals to die-hard Republicans.

October 18, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  4. Daniel

With two new figures of the Religious Right backing Romney today, he will likely continue to be able to deflect criticism over his religion.

October 18, 2007 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  5. No Mormons In The White House Ever!

19% who do think it is an issue, like myself, is a lot of people. It is an issue because of the fact that Mormons have a track record of racism, polygamy, and are not true Christians. I will not vote for anybody who supports those ideals.

October 18, 2007 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Eric, Virginia

Weren’t the Mayflower, Civil War, Women’s rights, and Civil rights etc. all about giving people who are different a fair chance? It is great that Americans are becoming more and more accepting.

October 18, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  7. Fernando Salgado Long Beach, CA.

Mr. Richardson I don't hear you condemning Fidel Castro in Cuba. Here is a murderer that has been in power for the last 47 years and continues to violate human rights everyday and you have NOT SAID ONE WORD.
    When are you or anyone from your party going to say something?

October 18, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  8. Couger@boss.net

We'll see how much that matters when Mitt "I was for it before I was against it" Romney doesn't win the nomination.

October 18, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  9. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Amazing that such a huge portion of our voting population can be unaware of the Christian nature of Mormonism, yet can spout in infinite detail the latest about Survivor, Britney, NFL scores, or Paris Hilton...no wonder Bush was able to initially lie the public into supporting his invasion of Iraq...they were distracted by more "important" things.

October 18, 2007 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  10. Kris Murphy - Huntsville, Alabama

Just which of the hundreds of different denominations and tens of thousands of different congregations within "Christianity" are in fact "truly Christian?"

Isn't the LDS Church simply another denomination of the very diverse and very different denominations of Christianity?

October 19, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  11. erika morgan black dimond wa

It would be a problem for me.

October 19, 2007 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  12. Marcus Wiley

It's nice to see people are being more tolerant of others religions. Mormons are great people.

October 19, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  13. Ronnie.Irving,Texas

Being Mormon is his biggest problem but not the only one.People can say anything in a poll but once the get into the voting booth then will not vote for a Mormon.

October 19, 2007 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  14. mike adkins charlotte, nc

you're right, people need to be nicer towards all religions of the world. besides, having a mormon for president would be better than what we have now. a MORON!

October 19, 2007 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  15. Douglas Khorey, Pittsburgh PA

I find this fascinating because simply as a matter of definition–Mormons are not Christians. Personally I do not care, but I question the agenda of a poll that does not ask the same participants, "Would you vote for a candidate that is not Christian?" Because the results of this poll do not suggest the obvious fact here–that is evidently most people do not understand that it is really not an opinion whether or not Mormons are Christian, because they just aren't. Then again...maybe that is the point...which is good news for Romney.

October 19, 2007 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  16. James, Phoenix AZ

Mitt is RIGHT. Mormonism should NOT be an issue.

There are plenty of OTHER reasons to fear this right-wing nut job.

Swift Boat Vets for Truth!!!

October 19, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Kristine,Marietta,GA

I don't care what religon you are as long as you obey the law

October 19, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. brenda,weymoth,ma

It will be an issue to me as bridge collapsing in massachusetts!

October 19, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. ne,pa.

I wouldn't vote for you no matter what you are!

October 19, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Keith, Ann Arbor, MI

As a Mormon, I'm torn. A timy part of me wants him to do well in the election because it will show that my church is more accepted. Most of me wants him to fall on his face because he's a smileball.

October 19, 2007 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  21. James (the real one), Phoenix AZ

Mitt is RIGHT. Mormonism should NOT be an issue.

There are plenty of OTHER reasons to fear this right-wing nut job.

Swift Boat Vets for Truth!!!

Posted By James, Phoenix AZ : October 19, 2007 9:39 am

-–

Another great post by fake-James. Good job, CNN!!

October 19, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. Trip, Gary, IN

Yes, it should not be an issue. It is only for bigots. And I see 40% don't know what they're talking about by saying they aren't Christian. They worship the same Jesus in the New Testament as them so I have to wonder if they are truly Christian.

October 19, 2007 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. sue aspen,granada hills, ca.

Mormons are like any other humans...

we have the same basic needs and ideals,we can be complex and thinking Americans, we have to make choices everyday, thousands of them,just like everyone else... we are not mindless, brainwashed zombies. We can choose to live the tenets of the church or not. More and more the media is not portraying us in a stereo typical way. Mitt Romney's Mormonism is essential to his political authenticity and of course some will find parts of our heritage different than other Christian faiths. However we do believe that Christ is our personal savior and we can declare that just as boldly as other Christian Demonination members do. We have been doing it for years and did not "steal" the idea from other religious leaders.
    Voters need to decide if Mitt's bio works for them. Mitt Romney was a good kid growning up, didn't give his parents grief,an eagle scout, served a faithful and hard mission for his church, married his high-school sweetheart, raised five boys on the value of hard work and family values, he is still faithful to the woman he made the marriage committment to, graduated from Harvard, ran a hugely successful company while in the meantime, devoted hundreds of hours as a Mormon bishop and then Stake President, which entails helping people through family, financial and spiritual problems 24/7... without knowing all the details of this part of his life... I would bet that he had people he didn't know well sleeping at his house, that he gave people plenty of money out of his pocket, food to eat, clothing for their children, this is what bishops and stake presidents do.. only the kindest, most compassionate members through revelation are called to have these special callings. When was the last time that such a humble servant of humanity would have the "guts" to submit himself and his family to the ridicule and stress of running for president? Our county has everything to gain from his experiences, he can administer to the highest of high and the lowest of lows. He has been there, he has already done it.

October 19, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  24. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

As a previous Methodist and convert later in life to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I have to say that the Christ I worshiped then IS the same Christ I worship now. Absolutely, no different. I still keep in contact with my Methodist Sunday School teacher from my childhood and adore her. She set the foundation for the same Christ I worship today. Those that say otherwise are simply misinformed, and I believe purposely so in many cases. I expect that most that support this view have never even stepped into an LDS church or devoted any serious time to any reading other than anti-Mormon literature which typically selectively chooses controversial issues and uses quotes taken out of context to support mis-leading half truths. I am grateful that those of faiths other than mine have faith in their lives and in particular a belief in Christ. It is however hard for me to understand why members of other faiths attack my faith. I have no interest in attacking theirs. I have no problem with others investigating my church, in fact I invite it. However judging a candidates worthiness to serve as President of the United States based on his faith is disturbing when we consider separation of Church and state. But if you are going to use that for your criteria you better do it for all of the candidates and to the same degree. I think what you find may surprise you. From what I have seen so far, many talk the talk but I’m not convinced they walk the walk. By the way, I will not vote for a candidate simply because he is a Mormon. Harry Reid for example is a Mormon and I strongly disagree with his views. I will vote for the candidate that I think will do the best job based on his track record and my perception on who will do the best job for the country. At this point I am undecided, but have to admit that Mitt is pretty impressive.
    Posted By Brian, Gloucester, VA : June 18, 2007 9:30 pm

October 19, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

Saddened from Tampa Florida:

You took that Book of Mormon scripture out of context and that is your methodology, put in the whole verse in context with the rest of the story – it is NOT about black vs whites.

Your are spreading falseness.

October 19, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |