October 18th, 2007

Romney courts conservatives with family ad

Ann Romney stars in a new Web ad highlighting her large family.

(CNN) – As part of his ongoing effort to reach out to the GOP's conservative base, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney released a new Web ad Thursday emphasizing the importance of family values by showcasing his five children and ten grandchildren.

In the ad, the former governor’s wife, Ann Romney, states, "Mitt says there's no work more important than what goes on within the four walls of the American home."

The ad, entitled “Our Home,” has been posted on YouTube, the official Romney campaign Web site, and Mrs. Romney's personal Web site, AnnRomney.com. It is a montage of both home videos and professionally produced clips of Romney surrounded by his children and grandchildren.

The ad was released a day before Romney is scheduled to attend the conservative “Value Voters Summit” in Washington. The summit, which is sponsored in part by Dr. James Dobson’s Focus on the Family and Tony Perkins’ Family Research Council, may prove to be an important forum for the Republican contenders to address the role of religion in public life. Romney’s Mormon faith is widely perceived to be a concern among many of the conservative Christian activists currently being courted by his campaign.

The former Massachusetts governor drew renewed criticism from his opponents last week for continuing to claim that he is the candidate who best represents the GOP’s conservative base.

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Romney is the man

RG, I'm not sure whether you're serious or seriously naive. What kind of question is that? If you pretend to be even halfway informed about Romney, or his religion, you'd know that there are no "other wives". That's not what Mormons are. No polygamy. Period.

Here's the low-down:
    A very isolated, splinter group of the LDS church still practices polygamy, but the mainstream LDS church renounced it over 100 years ago.

October 18, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  2. John Chamberlain Sturgis, SD

I want a presidential candidate to manage the "business" of a nation. I don't care about his wife, I don't care if he believes Mohammed or Moses. Keep it to yourself. I'm not voting for Romney's wife, and I don't think a guy named Jesus is on the presidential ticket. Americans need someone to run the USA, no one has been for the past 7 years.

October 18, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. NE,Pa.

I hope it showcases the sons "serving this country by campaigning for their father"...as Romney put it!!

What a jerk!

Buyer BEWARE with this guy!!

October 18, 2007 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. gh

Gov. Patrick his approval rating is bad in mass.he's another one who does poor at his job..like Obama and doesnt vote on issues.

October 18, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  5. Jennifer H. Albany NY

1) At least Mitt Romney has a great relationship with his family. Guilliani’s family members say not to vote for him. At least Mitt’s spouse is faithful to him. This says a lot the type of family leader he is and the president he could be.

2) Romney’s sons are dedicating all their time to supporting the person that they think will best lead the nation in a time of war. This IS a noble and patriotic cause. What other candidates have family members that are giving them so much support?

October 18, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  6. Tired right-sider,(trekks) KANSAS

I dont think Ill kick the "hot pile" while things are so steamy, but its nice to see we have some,'Higher I.Q.ed' opinion crowd posting. Funny how many of these new posts, sound like,... most of the same old crowd.

October 18, 2007 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. Micah

Great family.

October 19, 2007 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  8. truebob Hollywood FL

I find this whole NeoCon Christian right stuff offensive. My family values were learned at my mother and fathers side, not from some assinine political device that basicallly is designed to disenfranchise others. If you want to find someone who is partonizing, bigoted, and hypocritical, call one of these rightwingnuts. If you want to get my vote, respect the American principles of equality, diversity, and opportunity. There are enough real enemies of our way of life in the world without pol's demonizing our fellow Americans over their personal lives. We need to spend more energy on things that matter, not this tripe. This is some thing you'd expect to hear in 1932 Berlin.

October 19, 2007 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  9. NE, Pa.

Hope they showcase the sons "serving this country by campaigning for their father"...as Romney put it.

What a jerk.

Also, his wife has MS, and she stated she wished she would "just have cancer and die". As if cancer victims don't suffer as much.

Buyer BEWARE with this family!

October 19, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  10. Doug, New Jersey

With all due respect it makes no sense to take issue with the liberal democrats here who are saying that Romney, or Bush's children must fight in Iraq.

They don't know what they are saying and they have had no thoughts about it either. They received that talking point marching order from a site like Moore-on.org and they are simply regurgitating that flawed hate-filled rhetoric wherever they can. Democrats no longer think for themselves, have regard for being honest and truthful, and they certainly do not want to debate the issues. They are soldiers in a Soros plan to divide this nation and make it a socialist one. Trying to talk to the programmed clone is useless, they have given up their ability to think for themselves about 6 years ago. Study the American lib, the way they think and have been programmed is similar to people in the Middle East who have attended those wahabi schools. Sure, a lib will say I just called them a terrorist, I didn’t of course, but dishonesty, lies and rewriting what other people say is a requirement to be a lib democrat soldier.

October 19, 2007 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. jay, Snellville, GA

Its easy to support the war when your sons are at nice, safe and warm at home with you. Its easy to say "Yes, we need this war" when your family members aren't in harms way.

October 19, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass OR

Every adult gets to choose their own career. Do you choose your career for YOUR children and grandchildren and demand they be in the military? This is a free country. His sons chose their own paths, sounds like the country I'd like to live in.

If they evaded a draft, that would be different, but they did not evade any draft. Come on people, this is thoroughly unrealistic.

October 19, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. CJ, Richmond, VA

Why aren't any of his other wives in the ads?

Posted By RG, NY, NY : October 18, 2007 1:47 pm

Because unlike Giuliani, McCain, & Thompson, ROMNEY is the only Republican front runner who has only ever had ONE WIFE!
    When it comes to family values, Romney wins by a land-slide. Just listen to what all of his sons & daughter-in-laws have to say about him. For chidren to have that much respect & love for their father speaks volumes.

October 19, 2007 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. CJ, Richmond, VA

Ann Romney has class written all over her. Other spouses might be "Talking Head Political Spouses," (Bill Clinton, Elizabeth Edwards) but you don't see her acting as her spouse's mouth-piece to bash the other candidates or the other party. Rather she focuses on the positive.

October 19, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Tom Dedham, Mass

I have met the former Governor and his wife on a few ocassions while he was running for Governor (campaign stuff) and after he became the Governor, and they are both what they appear to be, nice people.

Nothing flashy, just good people.

October 20, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  16. Karen,nj

And when I was a child I sat next to Happy Rockafeller at Howard Johnson's in Tarrytown,NY. When I was a little older I rode horses on the Rockafeller Estate and they had very nice bridle paths.

October 21, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Karen,nj

Oh, and I was like 4 so, I didn't know that I was sitting with a republican lady, I was told latter on in life. So don't even think I liked her.

October 21, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By Karen,nj : October 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Nice story Karen, I apologize for having a positive meeting or two with a non-Democrat and remarking that they were nice people.

I go out and get involved, like I suggest everyone do no matter the candidate or party.

You can post foolish and moronic comments, but I expect nothing more than that from someone from "nj".

October 21, 2007 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Karen,nj

I DON'T HAVE TO TELL STORIES. I was brought up not to lie and that is one of my good qualities besides loving animals. The rest are so so. I'm not talking with you anymore.

October 21, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |