October 21st, 2007

Clinton: I'm no frontrunner in Iowa

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, campaigned in Iowa Saturday.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Democratic White House hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, said Saturday that she looks at her campaign as if she were "ten or twenty points behind."

Clinton–ahead in the latest national polls by as much as 30 points–made the comments to reporters when asked if she considers herself the frontrunner in Iowa, a state where she holds a much smaller lead.

"No," Clinton said. "I consider myself someone who's working as hard as I can everyday to earn the support of Iowans, and that's what I'm going to keep doing."

"I'm well aware that no one has voted. No one has caucused. We have a long way to go before that happens and I don't take anything for granted."

In the latest Des Moines Register poll among 399 likely Democratic caucusgoers Clinton was in the lead in the Hawkeye State with 29 points. Former Sen. John Edwards, D-North Carolina, sat at 23 points, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois followed closely with 22. The margin of error was plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

1. George

Lots of folks who will be crying in their beers not too long from now. Their one consolation is the 10 yearsa they'll have to work on their insults.

October 20, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  2. Connie, Troy NY

first of all what the heck is with the obbession over clinton's cackle? if that's the first thing about clinton that you have to bash then i feel afraid about the future of or country. it's just her laugh people, get over it.
    now that we've gotten through that let's actually talk about her in relation to politics. my opinion is that clinton is a pretty smart woman and if she wins the nation will at least be better then it has been since bush took over. of course she isn't perfect and it's not like i agree with every thing she stands for but she has the ability to lead us somewhere that doesn't have a dead end at the end of it and that's good enough for me. honestly, i wouldn't feel bad if obama or edwards won either; all of the dems are pretty good candidates as far as i'm concerned.
    on the otherhand i understand that she's working hard and all but let's be real: she's the frontrunner in this whole election, she knows it, and she usually shows it too even if she doesn't say it directly.

October 21, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  3. Mike, Cleveland, OH

Dave, Cheverly, MD

I disagree that the "gay issue cost the Democrats the 04 election." I think there were a lot more factors involved. I'm all for saving the entire country and voting for Obama (as I think you are leaning towards him too). Kelly is a young lady who is legitimately concerned about her future, a legal voter voicing her opinion, and doesn't deserve to be patronized.

October 21, 2007 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  4. Lee

A. Thomas,political propaganda person for Billary Campaign you left out one thing in your rant to other dems not voting for Billary. You are all the rest are really voting for Bill Clinton, you long for the old days of 1993 of trials and special procecutors, the torture of Bush as president is not enough, she will or
    Rudy will take this country through hell and back before it's all over. I just hope we all will be around for four years to complain about "why the hell, I put that women with her husband as proxy back in the White House." Nothing will change, more of the same, with right wing conspiracy theory still haunting us. Wake up America.

October 21, 2007 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  5. Jake, San Diego CA

You'd think if she didn't consider herself a front runner she'd answer questions honestly and directly instead of giving a safe BS answer like she always does.

She can say she doesn't think she's a front runner all she wants but she's running her campaign like she is. Stop lying to the people Hillary! We're not as stupid as you think we are, at least I hope we aren't....

October 21, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  6. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

The only person NOT to trust is Ron Paul.

October 21, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  7. Bill Bluebells NY

You got my Vote, go Hillary !!!!!!!

October 21, 2007 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  8. William Los Angeles CA

Hillary is by far the most qualified candidate of this Election. Why don't we just Vote now, instead of waste all of the next year deciding ? Go Hillary !! You got my Vote !!!

October 21, 2007 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  9. Geargia Acron LA

The other Democrats don't have a chance. They can't Cackle. And Repbulicans don't know how to Cackle, so that tells us who the next President is. Cackling is more important than being related to Dick Cheney. Sorry Obama, but thanks for trying anyway.

October 21, 2007 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  10. Belina Nashville TN

Hillary we already know you are certainly not the Front Runner. Why do you waste our time telling us stuff we already know ?

October 21, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  11. Rambos Bismarck ND

Hillary, you don't stand a chance against Obama, unless you can show that you are related to Dick Cheney. This is the most important issue of the coming Election.

October 21, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  12. Yana Roanoke VA

Comment on some real issues Hillary. We already know you are not the Front Runner. What would have been your response to 911. You all claim to be real experts on Iraq now at this time. But please explain what your response to 911 would have been ? Something more than Cackling about it ?

October 21, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  13. Rufus Chicago IL

Really, shouldn't Bill be doing the campaigning ? He is much better at it. Anyway Go Hillary. You got my Vote !

October 21, 2007 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  14. w19 CA

This time money is not going to do it.
    The change already is that democrats have someone to vote for who is not manipulated by special interests

October 21, 2007 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  15. Travis Boy, Wilmington, NC

How dare you "my911call" from Wilmington, NC. You gotta vote for our home boy! We've seen enough crap the past 8 years and I'm not about to see some Yankee win the White House. You should know those around you will vote Republican UNLESS Edwards is nominated.

But go ahead and throw Hillary to the Republicans and we'll see another election go to them. You should be ashamed of yourself former North Carolinian.

October 21, 2007 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  16. Baline NYC

Personally, I think Hillary is not qualified to be president.

What has she led and commanded? A state? nope. A city? Nope. An army? nope. A large company? nope.

as far as I can tell, she was first lady, and a rather mundane and vanilla senator from New York (where she moved for political expediency).

I don't think she has the policy stripes nor the leadership to actually do the job

go Rudy – he's led and fixed NYC – more leading than Hillary could ever claim
    He didn t fix NYC ..what are you taling about...potholes maybe that is what a mayor does and Hillary is the Senator there she fixes the problems in all Citys and THE STATE>so dont tell me she doesn't run a city,or the army she is on the armed services committee .and on a Company well,she hasnt but was offered by Sam walton to run the Wal mart.she has more expierence than rG.Period.hes weird anyway.and By the way she defeated HIM.he turned his back on the IRaq study group also.

October 21, 2007 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  17. Anonymous

"everyday" should be "every day."

October 21, 2007 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  18. Daniel

There were two polls since that Des Moines one. Strategic Vision's had Clinton up by a few points, while Rasmussen's was the first with Clinton in double digits.

October 21, 2007 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  19. Kathryn, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Kelly from Arizona,

I think you should move to Canada. We love immigrants, are incredibly tolerant of gay people (we'll let you have kids if you want to!) and hey, we even have a stronger dollar right now.

Even better, we have much less ridiculous political posturing for 8 years before an election (a la Hillary) or scary religious right-dominated major parties (I think we all know who I'm talking about here)...

October 21, 2007 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  20. Jun, Los Angeles

Hillary 2008! Bring America back, Hillary! We love you!

October 21, 2007 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  21. Sam, IA

As an Iowa resident and a caucus attendee i can tell you that polls are totally unusable for this format. The weather, the date, the last minute gaff by any candidate can sink the ship. This format is neighbors getting together and talking to each other about thier likes and dislikes and polititions that think they have an atendee on a string find them setting with thier friends in another camp on caucus night, Democracy at it's finest. No impersonal voting booth where your decision is based on the media buzz. Friends telling you who they like and why.

October 21, 2007 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  22. mark wilkes barre pa

hey steve from co,, while you were listing your real presidents don't slams, you forgot to list hillary's. we all know what they are and so do you, her cackle being the least of her troubles. theres not enough room on this page to fit them all, is that why you left them off ????

October 21, 2007 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  23. Karen.nj

I really don't think that the Democrats are nervous. There is no possible way we will lose at having Hillary elected. Also there are numerous Republicans who are also going to vote for a democrat because they are disqusted. Just talk to people on the street, I do, they'll tell you. I always talk to strangers about what a mess this country is in, no one has ever disagreed. People are angry!

October 21, 2007 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  24. Chris, Middletown, CT

Watching the back and forth – I see all of the Hillary supporters and it reminds me of....well...the Branch Davidians and David Koresh – sure they followed him blindly....but I really don't think that the country will give Saul Alinsky's student (who has become the teacher) – the nod

October 21, 2007 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Zogby Poll: Half Say They Would Never Vote for Hillary Clinton for President

Other top tier candidates in both parties win more acceptance; Richardson & Huckabee favored most

The online survey of 9,718 likely voters nationwide.... http://zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1376
    ——

Posted By Matt Sutton, Medford, Oregon : October 20, 2007 10:35 pm

I just cannot beleieve people including of Matt Sutton believe in this INTERACTIVE ONLINE poll! That is not a scientic poll at all, as other polls (like CNN, Gallup, etc.). If I want to, I personally can make that Zogby interactive online poll to be 95.66% favouring Hillary.

Again, those people who said not having found a friend supporting hillary have a narrow circle of friends (e.g., you are all republicans, or communists) and should find more friends. And, those who dont beleive in polls of CNN, Gallup, Fox New, etc.showing hillary is leading are in denial, and is bad for their mental health.

October 21, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |