October 21st, 2007

Giuliani: You have nothing to fear from me

Giuliani told a gathering of Christian conservative voters, "You have nothing to fear from me.".

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, R-New York, spoke before the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit Saturday telling the Christian based crowed "you have nothing to fear from me."

The White House hopeful came to the event facing opposition for his stance on abortion rights. He addressed the issue head on saying that he would continue the model he used while mayor of New York to "increase adoptions and decrease abortions."

Giuliani, who supports abortion rights, said he would continue to support the ban on partial birth abortions, support parental notification laws, and support the Hyde amendment, which denies federal funding for abortions. He would also make the $10,000 tax credit for adoptions permanent and "cut the red tape" involved in the adoption process. He continued by saying he would make judicial appointments in the mold of Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice Anthony Scalia, Justice Clarence Thomas, and Justice Samuel Alito, who are the most conservative members of the Supreme Court.

The former mayor told the audience that he came before them "with an open mind and an open heart, and all I ask is that you so the same."

But he also made it clear the he would not "pretend that I can be all things to all people."

He emphasized that he would not change his beliefs in order to tell them what they wanted to hear and at the same time made a veiled attack on his Republican rival Mitt Romney.

"For me to twist myself all up, to try to figure out exactly what you want to hear, and today say one thing and tomoorow say another thing, and a year from now, if you do that too long, you lose the sense of what leadership is all about," said Giuliani.

"Isn't it better that I tell you what I really believe," Giuliani asked the audience, "instead of pretending to change all of my positions to fit the prevailing winds?"

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at one time supported abortion rights but has since reversed his position on the issue.

Giuliani later reinforced his belief in God saying, "my belief in God and reliance on His guidance is at the core of who I am."

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Race to '08 • Rudy Giuliani • Supreme Court
  1. Ethan, Brooklyn, NY

Anyone know what this means?

RG: "I don't always agree with myself. But I will give you reason to trust me."

WHA???

October 20, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. Chris, FL

Anytime a political tells you to "just trust me", you can guarantee they will screw you. Perhaps if he wasn't Italian, I might fall for it. Anytime the mafia tells you not to fear them, you better run!!

October 20, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. Michael, New York

Everything else aside, it is rather amusing, and worrying, if a politician uses the assurance that anybody has "nothing to fear from" him as an argument to gain support.

October 20, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. Daniel

The Religious Right has without a doubt been coalescing around Romney, while the Bush clan has been grouping itself around Giuliani. And every indication is that Rudy will survive the right's hatred in the primary.

October 20, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. PS King Lakeside, AZ

I'm a wee bit confused- did God tell Mr. Giuliani that it's Ok to sanction abortions? To truly believe in God, one has to also believe in the laws put forth by Him. "Thou shalt not kill" is pretty high up on the list of no-no's for those interested in embracing Christianity. Whether Mr. Giuliani knows it or not- you can't have it both ways. Life is Life. Terminating that precious spark is indeed killing- as it results in the cessation of that life. I am not about to lecture him- he's a grown man- but I for one find this attitude of his a very troubling indication. He is a man willing to say ANYTHING in order to be elected. Being moral is hard- very hard, in this awful world we have created. I would rather vote for someone that defends their principles- not one that changes them according to his audience.

October 20, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. Todd, Dallas, TX

I my not agree with Rudy Giuliani on every issue, but I think his honest approach is refreshing. If we would all approach the issues with an open heart and an open mind, this would be a much better place. Giuliani has my vote.

October 20, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. Mark, Santa Fe, NM

Unfortunately, we ALL have quite a bit to fear from Guiliani. The man is an authoritarian who will institute a police state and destroy what is left of our rights and freedoms if he (god forbid) gets near the White House. We will long for the good ol' days when Bush was president.

If he wins the nomination, I do expect most of the "Christian" Right to vote for him. After all, they can overlook his pro-abortion, pro gun control, big-government, anti-freedom platform, his serial philandering, three divorces, cross-dressing, etc., as long as he promises to continue to invade countries, kill Muslims, and continue this insane holy war, which is highest on their agenda by far.

Giuliani has proven himself to be the most fanatically pro-war and anti-freedom candidate. Amazing how conservatives have devolved into brownshirts who care nothing for conservatism, only permanent war, unlimited government, blind devotion to the regime in power, and unthinking knee-jerk nationalism. Ronald Reagan must be spinning in his grave.

October 20, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. MC - Atlanta, GA

Guiliani is the face of the new emerging repulican party, Right wing Christians no longer have a strong hold on the party. Good Riddance. American is progressing in social views, either you do the same or get left behind.

October 20, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Dan

New general election poll from Missouri has Clinton up big!

October 20, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. Claudio - New York, NY

People, this man cheated on his wife at the GRACIE MANSON, while his wife was battling breast cancer. His son and daughter are not supporting him on his presidency atempt. Need I say more?????

October 20, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. MS Johnson City, TN

All but one comment here are against Giuliani. Where does CNN find him leading the poles or running number 2 or 3. If the comments on him are any indication, he should be somewhere at the bottom of the list.

I wonder how he would feel on Feb 6, 2008. Will he survive Tsunami Tuesday? I think not.

October 20, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. Larry, Torrance, Ca.

Giuliani is the best the Republicans have to offer...It's STILL not enough to beat the top three Democrat contenders

October 20, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. Angela, WPB, FL

Hey PS King, Lakeside, AZ

What do you think GOD thinks about killing in the name of War. Or executing criminals who have been the unlucky victims of the flawed legal justice system.
    Killing is killing right??
    Or is there some addendum to the BIBLE that only Conservative know about?? Or maybe God just talks to you and says it's OK.
    Which is it??

October 20, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Huan Atlanta GA

Of course we have nothing to fear from your Presidency Rudy, since Hillary will be the President. Nice try anyway.

October 20, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  15. Anabell Atlanta GA

The main thing we need to know Rudy, is are you related to Dick Cheney? CNN reports this is now the main campaign theme, and of most important topic for the welfare of the American people and the Iraqi people

October 20, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  16. Jeff Johnson

This man says he "hates abortion." Now why would he support something he hates.

May God help this country. Catholics and other pro-life voters will have no one to vote for next year. We will likely have this loser, and Hillary: both pro-abortion politicians who don't realize that unborn Americans have human rights.

October 20, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  17. Joe, Yorktown, VA

I'd like to share with you all an experience of mine. I have a reoccuring nightmare that I am traveling on a amusement park ride through a Land of Giulianis, each Giuliani is dressed differently, some in drag, others in military uniforms, others in suits, and one in a top hat. All the while, Danny Elfman's "Scrooged" theme plays in the the background, and Giuliani cackles wickedly...

October 20, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  18. rudy?? nah NY NY

rudy stop pandering to the compasionate conservatives or christian whatever, aren´t there more important american citizens in this USA? you are not even a catholic.

October 20, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Ethan, Brooklyn, NY

You having nothing 9/11 to fear 9/11 except 9/11 Iran 9/11.

Actually, we as Americans SHOULD fear George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. They want to intentionally start World War III:

CBS News has confirmed, in advance of a 60 Minutes interview with outed CIA agent Valerie Plame to be run this Sunday, that Plame "was involved in operations to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons."

They could not or did not stop 9/11, they refused to go after Bin Laden, they started an unnecessary war and occupation, and now they have pushed us to the brink of nuclear war.

Bush and Cheney must be impeached immediately. This cannot stand.

October 20, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. Dave, Cheverly, MD

Giuliani will most likely win the Republican nomination by default. Most decent Republicans will just stay home for the primaries out of disgust. CAN you honestly picture this man with his finger on the United States Nuclear arsenal? He put NY’s Command Response center IN the World Trade Center Buildings AFTER they were already attack in the 90’s. With NO improved communications between Emergency Response personnel. Certain actions automatically disqualify you as President. That’s like moving The Pentagon to Baghdad, then being surprised it was attacked. And then you realize you have no place to Coordinate Command functions from. DAH!!
    THAT is why the Republicans are lashing out at Hillary. They hope the Democrats are so dumb as to choose her to be their opponent. Why? Because they know they can beat her. Even with Giuliani and all his baggage. It will be the battle or the baggage and misstep in judgments. That is more reason for the Democrats to look for another candidate. Obama08

October 20, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. Ethan, Brooklyn, NY

You have nothing 9/11 to fear 9/11 except 9/11 Iran 9/11.

Bush and Cheney must be impeached immediately.

October 20, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. John Chamberlain Sturgis, SD

We have nothing to fear from Rudy. Those words sound dangerously prophetic. That sounds dangerously close to words used by phoney evangelical GOPer's who actually believe the fables in the Bible as historical. Step into the "Independent Candidate", and I could easily vote for you Rudy. No B.S.

October 20, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. rudyg, atlatna, ga

Abortion concerns aside the man is STILL:

ANTI-GUN

is still

Pro-Big Government

and

said we should be about the business of Nation building which has lead to so much hatred of us in the first place.

All you of Morons who say go away Christian Right, need to look more at this guy...he ain't a republican...and he is the reason we have lost our base, and will lose this election.

He isn't conservative...conservatives are the base of the party.... We WILL LOSE if Rudy is our candidate.

October 20, 2007 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Charles from Orem, Utah

I will say this about Giuliani, and I believe I echo his lovely wife when I say that with Rudi in charge, I would feel safe. I'm not so sure I could say the same about any of the others, either party, and right now that is the most important consideration.

October 20, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Dan (Baltimore, MD)

MS – If you really want an answer...

The most extreme among us are the most likely to become vocal. Look at all the Ron Paul supporters out there. The truth is not represented by those who put forward comments on blogs. The right wing and the left wing bloggers are coming out against Rudy because they fear what he will do to their causes. The polls are done by telephone, so you're less likely to get extremists. Let's just face it – Rudy had the moderate vote (i.e., the majority of us). Make sense now?

October 20, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |