October 21st, 2007

Giuliani: You have nothing to fear from me

Giuliani told a gathering of Christian conservative voters, "You have nothing to fear from me.".

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, R-New York, spoke before the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit Saturday telling the Christian based crowed "you have nothing to fear from me."

The White House hopeful came to the event facing opposition for his stance on abortion rights. He addressed the issue head on saying that he would continue the model he used while mayor of New York to "increase adoptions and decrease abortions."

Giuliani, who supports abortion rights, said he would continue to support the ban on partial birth abortions, support parental notification laws, and support the Hyde amendment, which denies federal funding for abortions. He would also make the $10,000 tax credit for adoptions permanent and "cut the red tape" involved in the adoption process. He continued by saying he would make judicial appointments in the mold of Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice Anthony Scalia, Justice Clarence Thomas, and Justice Samuel Alito, who are the most conservative members of the Supreme Court.

The former mayor told the audience that he came before them "with an open mind and an open heart, and all I ask is that you so the same."

But he also made it clear the he would not "pretend that I can be all things to all people."

He emphasized that he would not change his beliefs in order to tell them what they wanted to hear and at the same time made a veiled attack on his Republican rival Mitt Romney.

"For me to twist myself all up, to try to figure out exactly what you want to hear, and today say one thing and tomoorow say another thing, and a year from now, if you do that too long, you lose the sense of what leadership is all about," said Giuliani.

"Isn't it better that I tell you what I really believe," Giuliani asked the audience, "instead of pretending to change all of my positions to fit the prevailing winds?"

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at one time supported abortion rights but has since reversed his position on the issue.

Giuliani later reinforced his belief in God saying, "my belief in God and reliance on His guidance is at the core of who I am."

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Race to '08 • Rudy Giuliani • Supreme Court
  1. Hopeful Democrate, San Diego

In a field of candidates that I distrust and dislike on both sides, the only way Giuliani would get my vote would be if Clinton was his opponent. And yet again it would be the case of me using my vote to vote against a candidate instead of for one.

October 20, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Scott from Freehold

No, but the rest of the country and the world have a lot to worry about from this fake 9-11 hero who is simply shaping up as Bush-like nutjob.

October 20, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

If Giuliani's own flesh and blood refuse to represent him. I have no respect for any man who deserts the "core" of his loved ones for his own selfish reasons, not once but three times. And further, to stand before the American public as a presidential candidate. No, I don't think so, he needs a lot of atonement before the God he speaks about. This man has no morality and believes morality is not an issue to Americans. I would cast a vote for Mitt Romney any day before voting for Giuliani and I am not a republican, but I take this personal.

October 20, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. Gerald, Ohio

I am the complete opposite of a poster above me. I am a Republican and the only way I will vote for another Clinton is if Guiliani wins the Republican nomination for the same reason as the poster, as a vote against not a vote for. Lets nominate someone like Ron Paul or even McCain. If its Guiliani for the Republicans then it is Clinton(I cannot believe I am even saying this) for me.

October 20, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. laurinda,ny

Israel's secret service knows that Russia and China are helping Iran build nuclear warfare and they said numerous times that they would blow Israel off the map. Israel will strike Iran and they will retaliate. Bush will go after Iran,Russia and China will come after us. The Russians are waiting to take over America and become the super power.

October 20, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. HAWK, TEXAS

READ WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT HIS SUPREME COURT PICKS, BE AFRAID OF THIS PERSON. BE VERY AFRAID.AND TO ALL THE DEMOCRATS THAT SAY THEY WOULD VOTE AGAINST HILLARY. YOU ARE NOTHING BUT REPUBLICANS IN DISGUISE.THAT WOULD ASSURE A REPUBLICAN BACK TO THE WHITE HOUSE WHERE WE WOULD HAVE CHENEY AND BUSH ALL OVER AGAIN.

October 20, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. Jake, Las Vegas, Nevada

Sounds like he's religious all of the sudden, telling people what they really want to hear.

October 20, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. laurinda,ny

Well I was, am, and will vote for Hillary in the 08 election. Republicans are as close to a Russian as you can get! I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them!

October 20, 2007 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. ANGRY ANGELA, WPB, FL

hey CNN,
    WHY DID YOU CUT MY RESPONSE TO PS LAKESIDE???
    IT WAS RELEVANT AND GOES TO THE HEART OF THE ABORTION ISSUE.
    PLEASE RECONSIDER AND RETURN IT.
    THANK YOU.

October 20, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Steve, Lyons, CO

Who's Giuliani hoping will vote for him? The John Birch society? I don't think such a pandering weenie, whose kids have already said they wouldn't vote for him, who bends over like a receiver trying to please the anti-science stupidity of the far right – why again would anyone want him to be president?

October 20, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Steve, Lyons, CO

"Bush will go after Iran,Russia and China will come after us. The Russians are waiting to take over America and become the super power."

Laurinda, I watch you babble brainlessly on this forum every day.

Time for your meds.

October 20, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Steve, Lyons, CO

"I'm a wee bit confused- did God tell Mr. Giuliani that it's Ok to sanction abortions?"

I'm a wee bit confused – what does your adult Santa Claus have to do with the law of the land?

By the way: the bible and Jesus said NOTHING about abortion, and the Catholic Church allowed abortions until "quickening" – first movement of the fetus – until 1869.

Which proves anti-abortionism is a recent phenemenon, created to put modern women back in their place.

There will be no forced birth in America, misgynists. Try and you die.

October 20, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Steve, Lyons, CO

"In a field of candidates that I distrust and dislike on both sides, the only way Giuliani would get my vote would be if Clinton was his opponent."

Anybody stupid enough to let a Republican get in after these Bush years just because you don't like Clinton means you're a right winger yourself. Go get drunk on Election Day, whiner.

October 20, 2007 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. Kim, Peabody MA

Check out: "The BIG BAD Christian Influence!"

What a great article!

October 20, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

From where I sit Americans have MUCH TO FEAR with Giuliani. He is a Bush & Cheney Clone wrapped up in one skin.

Jeb Bush's son supporting Giuliani gives my insight on Rudy all the credability I need. And I'm not an American and don't have a vote. But if I did I surely wouldn't vote for Rudy errrr Bush errrrr Cheney.

If you want another 4 years just like the almost eight you've just experienced vote for Rudy..but don't expect America or the rest of the world to thank you.

October 20, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Rufus Boston MA

Hey Rudy, can you Cackle like Hillary ?

October 20, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. Geroge Boston MA

So is this a CNN controlled election year? Why do you cut the most appropriate comments ?

October 20, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. George Washington Colony Vermont

You have quite a circus of candidates. Not exactly what we imagined.

October 20, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. Abraham Lincoln Chicago IL

Get Real, candidates.

October 20, 2007 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. George Washington Mount Vernon VA

Let's see an Election Year and Campaign Trail, void of stupidity and pure politics.

October 20, 2007 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. MS Johnson City, TN

To:
    Dan of Baltimore, MD

Thank you for your interesting answer. Those who know me do not consider me extremist. By your own admission, you are a moderate. If extremists populate the blogs, then both of us are in the wrong place.

With all due respect, Rudy doesn't have the moderate vote. Moderates are voting for Ron Paul this time. Rudy, like others, represents majority of "stay the course" crowd. That's the reason he cannot see beyond 9/11. He is lagging on his reading assignment too. He has not made it to the 9/11 commission report yet.

How can you entrust the Motherland to a man who cheated on mother of his children?
    You may not be ready for Ron Paul yet. May I suggest John McCain? At least, the man has character!

October 20, 2007 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  22. Karen,nj

STEVE..Or is it Adam?

October 20, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  23. Joseph

Rudy Giuliani is by far the most qualified candidate for president. It will only help him to market to the Right Wing, so long as he is honest in that process. We are blessed today to have such an experienced man likely to become President. It will be a refreshing change from what we have endured with the Bush Administration. I think Rudy would keep his administration on a much tighter leash than Bush-who let Cheney and Rummy pretty much do what they wanted. Bush's cabinet let him down because Bush did not have the experience to check some of them. Rudy demonstrated as an accomplished NYC Prosecutor and Mayor that he has the skills to lead from the top.

I am a Conservative Democrat and as of now I support Rudy for President.

October 20, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  24. SB

I actually do feel that we have a lot to fear with you Mr. Guiliani, however, if it is you against Hillary, you will have my vote.

October 20, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  25. president,washington,dc

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney narrowly won a straw poll of mostly Christian conservative voters at the Family Research Council's Values Voters Summit held this weekend in the nation's capital.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney attends a gathering of the Family Research Council on Friday.

The former Massachusetts governor won almost 28 percent of the 5,776 votes cast, edging out former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who finished 30 votes behind him.

"The vote is a validation of Governor Romney's core message to grass-roots Republican activists," Romney campaign spokesman Kevin Madden said at the close of the two-day conference.

"His is a campaign built on the important issues of national security, economic security and stronger families."

Texas Rep. Ron Paul finished in third place, with 15 percent of the vote, and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson finished in fourth place with 10 percent. See how the top four finishers performed »

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani finished with 107 votes, just under 2 percent of all ballots cast, and Arizona Sen. John McCain was just behind Giuliani, with 81 votes.

"It's hard to gauge how big a victory this is for Romney because we're not entirely sure whether these voters represent the larger Christian conservative constituency," CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider said.

Don't Miss
    FRCAction.org: Complete results of the straw poll
    Sen. Brownback backs out of GOP presidential race
    GOP field takes jabs at Giuliani
    Election Center 2008
    "Romney won the Ames, Iowa, straw poll in August by spending a lot of money. We don't know how much of an organizational effort was behind this victory," he said.

"Romney's true acceptability to Christian conservatives will not become clear until we see how he does in January in the Iowa Republican caucuses and the South Carolina Republican Primary.

"But the results suggest that being a Mormon may be a barrier for winning the support of Christian conservatives," Schneider said. Watch Schneider discuss the significance of Romney's win »

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows that Americans' attitudes toward Mormonism appear to be changing.

Half of those surveyed last weekend considered Mormons Christian, up from 34 percent last year.

Far fewer people voted in person at the conference than participated online or by mail.

Huckabee was the clear winner of the in-person balloting, with 488 of the 952 votes. Romney was second with 99 on-site votes.

Only members of the council's political arm could vote.

During the voting period, which began in August, the conservative organization saw its membership increase from about 5,000 members to 8,500, said Tony Perkins, council president.

"The straw vote is a setback for Fred Thompson, a Southerner who is trying to lock up the conservative wing of the party. Thompson's 10 percent is an embarrassingly weak showing," Schneider said.

But Thompson's spokeswoman saw the results in a different light.

"Fred Thompson was happy to have received an enthusiastic response and standing ovation from attendees at the Values Voters Summit," Karen Hanretty said.

"While it's easy for a candidate to buy votes in an unscientific straw poll, what matters more is that Christian conservative voters favor Fred over the other candidates, as evidenced in a recent CBS poll," she said.

Powerful voting bloc

Christian conservatives carry a lot of clout within the Republican Party.

They vote in great numbers in the Republican primaries, especially in the crucial early presidential contest states of Iowa and South Carolina. That's one reason all of the GOP presidential candidates came to Washington to court their vote.

Coming into the Values Voters Summit, Christian conservatives appeared to have problems with all of the top-tier GOP White House hopefuls.

The front-runner in the national polls, thrice-married Giuliani, supports the legal right to an abortion.

Romney - the leader in Iowa and New Hampshire, which will hold the first primary - supported the legal right to abortions before changing his stance.

His Mormon faith may be a problem for some values voters.

Thompson - who is second in most national polls - is against a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. He believes the states should decide. Some top Christian conservative leaders have questioned Thompson's commitment to their core issues.

McCain also opposes a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, and he's had a rocky relationship over the years with Christian conservative leaders.

Huckabee could be considered the ideal candidate for evangelical voters - he's the only minister.

But he's not well known, and regardless of his strong performances in the Republican presidential debates so far this year, few think he has a shot at winning the GOP nomination.

The other presidential hopeful who also saw eye-to-eye with the religious right is no longer a candidate. Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas dropped out of the race for the White House on Friday due to a lack of campaign cash.

While Giuliani received only polite applause from the audience after his comments, Huckabee won several ovations.

The former Baptist preacher called legalized abortion a "holocaust."

"Sometimes we talk about why we're importing so many people in our work force," he said.

"It might be for the last 35 years, we have aborted more than a million people who would have been in our work force had we not had the holocaust of liberalized abortion under a flawed Supreme Court ruling in 1973."

Huckabee also spoke adamantly of the need for conservative lawmakers to show no compromise on fighting for a constitutional amendment that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

"I'm very tired of hearing people who are unwilling to change the Constitution, but seem more than willing to change the holy word of God as it relates to the definition of

October 20, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |