October 22nd, 2007

Colbert on presidential run: I am serious

Colbert insisted he's serious about getting on the South Carolina ballot.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Is Stephen Colbert serious when he says he wants to run for president in South Carolina?

Yes, according to the fake-news host himself who appeared on NBC’s Meet the Press Sunday after the very-real presidential candidate Barack Obama.

“I think a lot of people are asking whether—they say is this, is this real, you know? And to which I would say to everybody, this is not a dream, you’re not going to wake up from this,” Colbert told host Tim Russert. “I’m far real-er than Sam Brownback, let me put it that way.”

“I don’t want to be president,” he added. “I want to run for president. There’s a difference.”

Brownback, a Republican senator from Kansas, dropped his bid Friday after disappointing fundraising and low placement in most polls.

Colbert acknowledged his presidential campaign wouldn’t extend past his home state of South Carolina and said he will consider it successful if he just captures one state delegate.

“It’s proportional voting on the Democratic side - all I need is enough votes on the Democratic side to get one delegate, and I’ll feel like I’ve won. Because if, at the Democratic National Convention, somebody has to stand up and say, “The proud state of South Carolina, the palmetto state, the home of the greatest peaches and shrimp in the world, casts one vote for native son, Stephen Colbert,” I’d say I won.

Colbert has said he will seek to be a candidate in both the Democratic and Republican primaries in the Palmetto state. On his show Wednesday, he signed paperwork for both ballots. But as The Ticker reported last week, it remains to be seen whether the State parties will allow that to happen.

But Colbert, who didn’t break from his conservative-TV host act during the entire Meet the Press interview, gave plenty of hints he might not be too serious after all, including the revelation that he would consider embattled Idaho Sen. Larry Craig as his running-mate.

Though the Comedy Central host refused to say if he’d met “in the same room” with Craig to discuss the potential ticket.

“Sorry, my lawyer’s telling me to say no more,” he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Stephen Colbert
  1. Ed, Dallas, TX

Whose audience has the bigger collection of kooks, dupes, freaks, fools and idiots: O'Reilly, Fox Noise, Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Or Ann Colter?

October 22, 2007 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  2. Kathy, Tempe AZ

I love Stephen Colbert and his 'Colbert Nation'. He takes a healthy jab at all aspects of the political circus and helps keep things in prespective.
    What good are politics for if not for comedy? Certainly not useful for protection of our constitutional liberties, lowering our taxes, providing health coverage for our children, etc. etc.
    So, I plan to vote for Stephen, and I live in AZ. I certainly will not vote for McCain (leglized torture), Clinton (too much baggage), Obama, (did what?) Huckabee (delusional with angels guiding his bullets) any Bushie, etc.
    Maybe Ron Paul? Too little known and no change to win. So, since my vote will be overlooked, cancelled, ignored or violated, I will write with pride "Stephen Colbert"!

October 22, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. ronnie knoxville tn

everybody just relax – the only people going to vote for this lib are 20-something losers who don't the diff. between real life and television.

October 22, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. Preston Lewis, Sacramento, CA

It's the "Palmetto State", capitalized. If interested, the Palmetto tree was tough for cannon balls to penetrate during the Revolutionary War, helping out quite a bit.

P.S. I like Steven Colbert. He'd do a better job than what we have now.

October 22, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Ray, Rochester

GWB is by far the least intelligent, least competent, most embarrassing, and most dangerous president we have ever had the misfortune of electing.

I find it sad too though, I mean…how long can a person live in a vegetative state and not suffer for it?

Posted By E.W. : October 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Hey E.W. You're right...no one cares about our opinions. But please humor me and let me state mine.

I think YOU are an idiot. Why don't you go back to your Halo 3 on X-Box and think about why girls think you're fat and a douche-bag as you eat Snickers.

October 22, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. Brian, Orlando, Florida

Vote for Colbert!

Cold Beers for all if he gets elected!

October 22, 2007 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. Daniel, Houston, TX

Whose audience has the bigger collection of kooks, dupes, freaks, fools and idiots: Colbutt's, Jon Stewart's or Bill Maher's?

Actually, neither; they're entertainers. For crooked news, I would go with CBS, NBC, and the good o'l NY Times...all of which have been caught fabricating stories recently...

October 22, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  8. Sue, Michigan

Please don't lump Colbert, JON (no H) Stewart and Bill Maher with the others–these people at least do their homework and tell the truth. More than I can say for the FAUX NOISE network. I was all for Stephen until he chose his running mate...Craig would be a hard sell, wouldn't he,except in Idaho where they put him in the Hall of Fame. HMMM
    Tom, you've been smelling too many oil wells if you think anyone who disagrees with the current lawlessness in WA is a dupe or a fool.

October 22, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. David, San Diego, CA

"Our current president has the vocabulary and intelligence of a 15 year old highschool drop out and that has also contributed to the demise of the presidency."

By Kate, Aurora CO :

This is an insult to all 15 yr old highschool drop outs. Bussh has the intelligence of a retarded puppy.

Posted By bukky, Baltimore, MD

–This is an insult to all retarded puppies. Bush has the intelligence of a ...

October 22, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Personally I support Yankee Doodle Dandy. He has the feather in his cap and is a pasta lover! A sure sign of a competent, intelligent, political savvy, taste tested candidate.

He's running in both the Real and Fantasy Parties and in all states!

Nothing Cheesy about Dandy! He even wear bow ties!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Parmesan anyone?

October 22, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Steven Stewart, Portland, Oregon

I swear we as a society complain so much about everything don't we? So what if Colbert would run, he said directly in his statement that he only wanted to "run for president" to be the president. Besides the president has to much power anyways... humph America is going to course of all empires. I just hope we can remain long enough to at least see if our nation can survive...

October 23, 2007 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  12. William, Atlanta, GA

I think Mr. Colbert should not run for president. His candidacy will steal the smartass vote from both the democratic and the republican candidates, causing a tie and throwing the election into the house of representatives. Under those circumstances, the president of the united states of america will no longer be chosen by the unverifiable Diebold voting machines.

October 23, 2007 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  13. Doyle, L.A. California

I know this is all a joke but I'm glad, that someone is jumping in their faces. These career politicos have no sense of humor, at least not an earthling's sense of humor. And throwing Colbert into the mix can expose the one's that are in this for the good of us all, and who is in it for the good of their bank account.

"I am America, and you can be too!" God bless Stephen Colbert

October 23, 2007 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  14. Olseter, Ganeek, Dover, NJ

It's a cleaver act and sthick by Colbert.

Step back however and ask yourself who is the Governor of California>

October 23, 2007 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  15. John, Queens, NY

Tom from Texas, Thanks for voting for Bush, thanks for putting Americans and Iraqis (yess there are humans there too) in harms way to fund Halliburton, and most of all thanks for Voting in the administration that doen's give a rats ass about you. Well played ole chap.

October 23, 2007 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  16. Not a retarded texan.

stephen colbert went to college and is not a 15 year old drop out. He went to charleston in SC his home state. No should vote for him but no one should bash him for running. As for tom from texas your a disgrace..I feel ashamed to live in texas because of you. Not everyone in texas is mentally challenged or naive like you. Why don't you and bill o' reily go jump off a bridge it would make my day better.As for people who don't like Jon Stewart your stupid. Jon Stewart is funny always has been and he is smart he would never run for president because he knows better but he has good points of view and sadly is better news than most REAL news.

October 23, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  17. Scott M., Kalamazoo, MI

Steven Colbert is an utter fool and his comedy is neither funny nor cutting edge. As apathetic as most Americans are now days when it comes to voting the last thing they need is some over-hyped comedian diverting their attention from the real issues. I tried to watch this guy on Meet the Press Sunday and had to turn him off. Go back to Comedy Central where you belong.

October 23, 2007 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  18. Sofia, Williamsburg, VA

My vote is with Stephen Colbert!
    Not that it matters anyway, after all, the Electoral College might choose the president for us again, like they did in 2000.

October 23, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  19. Bruce, Germantown WI

People, PEOPLE!

Vent your frustrations elsewhere. This isn't a venue for politcal discourse.

Breath, smile! This is funny stuff! Stephan's a funny guy!

Call that early morning guy on CSPAN if you are so uptight!

October 23, 2007 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  20. Aaron Perryburg, Ohio

Hey Tom you forgot to ask about Rush...

October 23, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Justin E. Goodyear AZ

Says hes only gonna run in South Carolina... i say he runs for the whole thing, i know hes got my vote, along with millions of others. I mean really, i'd vote for him before just about anyone else even if the other candidates were... for lack of a better word, qualified. But since none of them seem to know what there doing, it makes the vote even easier. Colbert – 100% of the way.

October 23, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  22. J, Tallahassee, FL

This list of comments is so awesome. I particularly like all the bashing of the ignorant Tom from Texas. Then there is Tricia from Charlottetown...haha. If you conservative idiots put half the energy used to protest against what is clearly a joke into researching actual facts (rather than trusting FOX news) this country would be much better off. Every intelligent person knows Colbert is not seriously running for President. He is making a well timed joke about what a sham the office of President has become, where corrupt, ignorant, fools stand where great men once stood.

October 23, 2007 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Daily Show Viewer, NY NY

Tom from Texas USA:

Maybe you should do some research before you start spewing right-wing rhetoric...

According to Nielson Media Research:

"Daily Show" viewers are 78 percent more likely than the average adult to have four or more years of college education, while (Bill) O'Reilly's audience is only 24 percent more likely to have that much schooling.

Keep watching Faux News. Sounds like you fit right into their demographic...

October 23, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  24. Doug, New Jersey

You got your answer Tom, and a whole bunch of liberal democrat hate-filled extremist examples all over this thread for all the proof you need.

October 23, 2007 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  25. Brandon, Tampa, FL

As much as I love Stephen Colbert, his presidential run will end up taking away votes from useful candidates like Obama and could give people like Hillary or Mitt Romney the presidency.

Still, as a fan, I will be supporting Colbert all the way.

October 23, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am |